Convincing Insurance Not To Total a Car

Fiji ST

A buddy of mine got hit last month, which caused damage to the front bumper, headlight/foglight, passenger fender and door. They cut him an initial check for the repairs. But once at the body shop and they actually came out to inspect it, they're now telling him it's totaled. Body shop says there is no frame damage and it's purely cosmetic.

Is it possible to talk an insurance company into not totaling out a car due to a part supply issue?

Just take the check and arrange to buy it back?

But doesn’t he have to get everything fixed and inspected before he can retitle it? He was just going to keep driving it as-is and not fix it. Also there’s concern that his insurance won’t insure it with a bad title.

I had my insurance company "total" my wife's 95 buick 15 or so years ago to hail damage. they cut me a decent check. had the back window replaced. Said to hell with the hail damage. Drove it for another 5 years. They didn't touch the title.

I would just tell insurance to cut you a check for what they could w/o totaling the car and just have it fixed cheaper (used panels, etc).

But doesn’t he have to get everything fixed and inspected before he can retitle it? He was just going to keep driving it as-is and not fix it. Also there’s concern that his insurance won’t insure it with a bad title.

I'm no insurance expert, but basically they don't want to pay to get it fixed because it's cheaper for their bottom line to total it out. You have to take over that responsibility so they don't have to or you have to follow their rules.

I have worked with a lot of insurance companies to do a max payout without making it a total loss. But these where vehicles we were fixing ourselves. Keeps the title from being a salvage title.

I'd love to get some tips if you wouldn't mind sharing them.

If they do total it, the buyback will be based on the going rate for the car in the condition it is in (using like copart prices). I've had totalled cars I've been able to buy back for pennies on the value and others priced so high they were not worth buying back (scrap value was almost as much as the cars value due to parts demand). Good luck!

If they do total it, the buyback will be based on the going rate for the car in the condition it is in (using like copart prices). I've had totalled cars I've been able to buy back for pennies on the value and others priced so high they were not worth buying back (scrap value was almost as much as the cars value due to parts demand). Good luck!

^ This.

My wife totaled our X3 and the buyback was barely under what I could have bought another one for. It was a good car and I could have got parts for cheap but to have a that much $$$ in a salvaged car just didn't make any sense.

I was hit by an uninsured driver. I didn't want the truck totalled but they didn't care and totalled it. I fought for a month negotiating back and forth what the truck should be valued at. Once we agreed on the price we then negotiated me keeping the truck, at first buy back was over 2k, negotiated down to 1k to buy it back. Replaced the door and fender, had it inspected at the state highway patrol and got my rebuilt title. It's not overly difficult to do, dealing with insurance and negotiating was the worst. Any questions shoot me a message.

I was hit by an uninsured driver. I didn't want the truck totalled but they didn't care and totalled it. I fought for a month negotiating back and forth what the truck should be valued at. Once we agreed on the price we then negotiated me keeping the truck, at first buy back was over 2k, negotiated down to 1k to buy it back. Replaced the door and fender, had it inspected at the state highway patrol and got my rebuilt title. It's not overly difficult to do, dealing with insurance and negotiating was the worst. Any questions shoot me a message.

Just talked to my friend and they’re totaling it. They’re offering him a ridiculous amount for his car, but they did offer him to let him buy it for about a 1/5 of their offer and cut him a check for the rest.

So if he goes the route you did, does he just have to replace the panels that were damaged, get it checked and he can get it retitled? It sounds way too easy.

Yes however parts must be bought with proof and vin number on it. I bought all of my parts from local junk yards.

Whatever they offered he needs to negotiate and get more for the value and less on the buy back. It's all a numbers game.

Good to know. Did you have those parts painted, or just show them the stickers and paperwork, then paint?

I told him to offer them lower on the buy-back. They're giving him an absurd amount to total the car ('13 Fiat 500).

Good to know. Did you have those parts painted, or just show them the stickers and paperwork, then paint?

I told him to offer them lower on the buy-back. They're giving him an absurd amount to total the car ('13 Fiat 500).

No paint, just has to be safe to be on the road. My receipt for doors and fender had vin numbers on it

I fixed my last 'total' with sheet metal screws in the bumper cover to hold it on and duct tape to cover the screw heads. Weatherstrip adhesive in the trunk to seal the gap from being rear ended. Inspection was super easy and rebuilt title issued with that inspection paperwork. They are really looking for stolen parts and seemed to care none about the car's actual ability to be driven. That car had an aftermarket steering wheel installed (Airbag removed) and no working horn. Big old crack in the windshield and dark tint on the windows.

Who the hell wants to own let alone buy back and fix a fiat 500???

Take the money and run

Because it’s almost impossible to find something half decent for the amount he’s getting. Plus if he can get it on the road again for cheap, he will just run it into the ground and have a nice chunk saved as well.

It’s honestly been a great car for him with minimal problems.

If it just cosmetic and drivable they will issue a rebuilt title after OSP inspects it. I had a car with just cosmetic damage and the cop looked at it for like a minute. The only pain in the fees and process it normally takes a few weeks to get it done. They wont schedule an inspection appointment till you ever have the title changed.

If it just cosmetic and drivable they will issue a rebuilt title after OSP inspects it. I had a car with just cosmetic damage and the cop looked at it for like a minute. The only pain in the fees and process it normally takes a few weeks to get it done. They wont schedule an inspection appointment till you ever have the title changed.

But don’t you have to have the car inspected first before you can get the title changed? Or is my lack of coffee brain this morning confused?

Its been awhile but first they change it to a salvage title then after it it inspected a rebuilt title. I think it was a couple of hundred in fees for the titles, inspections fees, and registration change

Good to know, thanks for the information.