Joining Broken Headlight Lens assembly

Kosmo

I am not sure if this is a sane or insane project. Here is a picture and description of what I intend to do and I will highly appreciate any input.

My ZZR600 left side of the headlight lens is cracked and I wanted to change it cheap without buying the whole assembly for 250 bucks. I got another broken ZZR600 headlight with the left side intact and this is what I am trying to do.

ZZR600Headlight.jpg

The whole front of the lens (both sides including the third eye) is one piece and glued. I got it out by heating in the oven. I got the second broken part which is cracked along the yellow line. Now what I have to do is cut my lens with a dremmel approximately along that line and replace it with the salvage part. The joining area will be under the front fairing so it will not be visible at all.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it sane or practical, anybody did this before :confused:

2. What kind of glue/sealant should I use along that cut (which will be rough and not seam sealed). I am debating in between a black silicone sealant like permatex or a flexible SMC epoxy like 3M.

Tech Gurus thanks for your comments.

Update:

So I have finished the project and it's pretty awesome. A new headlight assembly is around 250/280 bucks...I got the broken headlight (used in the project for 15 bucks and cost of some adhesive and that's it.

Here it goes: First picture is the broken headlight: The arrows show the cracked lens and the dotted red line shows the underneath reflector housing which is cracked completely along the dotted line as well.

Picture142.jpg

I managed to get a broken headlight with the left lens intact for 15 bucks now I marked the old one (in the area beneath the fairing) and cut the old and the spare broken one (have to be precise, just little overlap) with a dremel...then filed manually to have a perfect complimentary fit.

Picture245.jpg

Then as the picture I joined the housing (which was in two pieces) with Plastex ....you cant even see it, the crack was exactly below where you see the cut on the lens. The left lens is cut from the broken headlight and also joined with plastex...you can see the repair.

Picture334.jpg

Next picture all joined and then put in the housing by heating in the oven and again reseamed with RTV black silicone and also added silicone on top of the plastex repair.

Then I have tested the unit with high pressure hose...it's completely watertight.....:D

Picture339.jpg

This is how it looks in the fairing.....can ya tell.....?????

Picture659.jpg

Edited by Kosmo
Update:

• 2 months later...
Hey.......thanks and rep to ya....YOU are the one who mentioned plastex.

Guys.....Kudos for him....and me the fucker forgot to acknowledge him :o

no problem, and thanks for the rep.

i have been using plastex for a a few years now, its great shit!

YOu cheap SOB

:lol:need to send the kid to college....

Anyway here is some info....these are for tricky jobs not fairing or body work....flexible epoxy like 3M Flexible Automix/duramix/fusor for those.

1. http://plastex.home.att.net/ (This is what I used)

2. http://www.colorrite.com/product/colorrite-plastic-repair-kit-1060.cfm

(This is the same product as the above)

some more products to consider...again "supercheap superglue":lol:

2.http://superglue.supergluecorp.com/15104.html

• 3 months later...