MC wreck May 17 - Lancaster

ReconRat

Motorcycle crash sends Lancaster man to hospital

BY JOE GIESSLER • The Eagle-Gazette Staff • May 17, 2009

LANCASTER - A Lancaster man was taken to a Columbus hospital by MedFlight after a motorcycle crash in the 1500 block of West Fair Avenue Saturday afternoon.

Scott Mason, 31, was traveling eastbound on West Fair Avenue when he lost control and went off the right side of the road, apparently striking a sign in front of a building, Lancaster Police Officer Ray Hambel said. He was transported by Lancaster Medics to Fairfield Medical Center then MedFlighted to Grant Medical Center in stable condition, according to the nursing supervisor at FMC. When contacted Saturday, officials at Grant Medical Center did not have a record of Mason being admitted. Mason was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash. The helmet was strapped to the rear of his Kawasaki DX-6R. No other vehicles were involved in the accident. Hambel said a witness reported seeing Mason raise his arms immediately before the crash. "It doesn't necessarily mean he was showboating," Hambel said. He said Mason could have had a medical condition or a bug might have flown into his eye. The 1500 block of West Fair Avenue was closed in both directions for about an hour as crews worked at the scene. Lancaster Police Officer Kirk Cressley, who is investigating the accident, said alcohol is not suspected to be a factor in the crash. Cressley said Mason likely would be cited for failure to control his vehicle.

picture.php?albumid=122&pictureid=3553

I tell ya, I've had bugs smack my helmet shield so hard they felt like rocks, I'm guessin it wouldn't take much

to cause and accident from a big bug smackin ya in the eye, just another good reason to wear a helmet,

besides the obvious one of course.

I rode with a guy who is friends with the rider that went down. Apparently he used to have spasams but had been cleared as of late to ride/drive. It sounded like the guy felt this is what happened and said there was a good chance of it.