Corner entrance confidence

smashweights

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, grow a pair of.....

No, really, I peed myself for a few thousand miles, still do every now and again. I imagine everyone else does too, and the ones who don't have lied about it... LOL Just ride in your comfort zone and let it come. Also, following others you trust is helpful since you can let them set the speed while you relax and let the muscle memory take hold. I tend to learn by doing it faster and faster until my tires start slipping, but I am what you generally call "stupid" so I don't really suggest it...

Tracks are nice, but some of us have limited time and/or funds and would rather spend our money on toys and our time going somewhere... :) (Yes, I want to go to the track, and buy a bike worth taking... fuck you too... )

and I take the corners 5-10 over in a cage.... 4DAIVI said DOUBLE it, then subtract 5 or so... :)

I haven't argued that.

I'm only saying the track is not the only option.

Myself, for example, I picked one road and rode it day in and day out. I gained a lot of confidence, picked up a lot of speed, and exponentially increased my riding skills by doing that.

That carried onto other roads and other corners. I'm without a doubt not the fastest rider (no where close really), but I'm happy with my riding abilities and confident with my riding skill.

I'm sure I could have picked up those skills "quicker" on the track, but I would have spent a lot more money and not gotten near as much riding time. I ride because that's who I am. I don't want to go fast and drag knee in every corner, I like to go 55mph sometimes. I also like to power through corners sometimes.

For me it's not about how quick I can become confident/fast in a corner, it's getting out and riding around for a couple hours and slowly gaining that speed/confidence.

The OP stated in his first line and I quote "so how do/did you all," well it took me a few months of riding the same road. Slowly at first and I worked myself up a point I am happy with.

I scroll through the posts and you and flounder are saying the track that's it, that's the only way. You said, and I quote, "The only way to get better is to really do track days," that is simply not true. It's one way to get better, it's the quickest way to get better, but it's not the only way to get better.

My point is there are other options besides the track. You push the track because you're an instructor and you race. Others push the track because they've done it. And yeah it's a great thing, but it's not the only answer to how to get better at this particular topic, or anything else motorcycle for that matter.

Understand one thing. You riding and riding and learning the same thing is fine. However, if you are doing things wrong all along the way and developing habits, that's not the best way, is it? If you are judging yourself based on seat time and what YOU feel is best and progressive, again - you could be doing it in a manner that is not as effective and not correct.

That being said, the idea behind track days where instruction is involved or track based schools (Swantz being one of the best, for example) can accelerate the ability you NEED and provide CORRECT ways to do things in a CONTROLLED and supervised environment. Sure, you can learn things on your own. Trial and error is possible. However, understanding your bike and what it does is something that is needed to become a better rider.

No slamming here as I believe we all can constantly learn and progress - no matter who you are - BUT, I suspect that you could be a better rider even with all the seat time your have compiled.

Maybe the better way to have said it is that the track is the best place to excel QUICKER than trying it on the street. Too often, we get a LOT, I mean a LOT of really great street riders that come to our track days. Even after multiple events at the same track, they are not as fast as they are vs. the buddies they ride with that do not come to the track. The ones that can swallow their pride and want to learn, we can make faster not by running faster laps, but by learning what the bike is doing, how to set the bikes up for THEM, how to manage the bike and what it does and above all, how to manage themselves...

All these things usually are not done by the traditional street rider. Has nothing to do with seat time as again, doing it poorly all along is just time and time where you stack up bad habits on top of bad habits. It's just that track schools and days allow the rider to ride well, but w/o using up their tank of ability to do it. They aren't going to really go faster on the street, but what they have left in reserve in case something happens is much greater than if they hadn't.

I understand that you feel the way you do. I was in the same boat before I started racing. I thought I was a GREAT street rider. And, I was compared to the 5-10 guys that I rode with. I always got the "Dude, you should race" responses. But, that very first day I went to my race school, I told myself that I was way out of my element and that I wasn't a racer. I felt I was way off the deep end.

But, over the years, I got better. Not great by any means, but I got to the point that what I learned on the track really helped me on the street. I eventually quit riding the street, but I will once in a while and honestly, when I do, I prefer to ride alone as I get really nervous when around others as what they do concerns me...

To each their own and you'll never convince someone who doesn't want to, but going to the track will help vs. hurt. If you don't feel like you want to, that's cool, but don't say that not riding and learning on the track can make you better vs. if you would.

First' date=' grow a pair of.....

No, really, I peed myself for a few thousand miles, still do every now and again. I imagine everyone else does too, and the ones who don't have lied about it... LOL Just ride in your comfort zone and let it come. Also, following others you trust is helpful since you can let them set the speed while you relax and let the muscle memory take hold. I tend to learn by doing it faster and faster until my tires start slipping, but I am what you generally call "stupid" so I don't really suggest it...

Tracks are nice, but some of us have limited time and/or funds and would rather spend our money on toys and our time going somewhere... :) (Yes, I want to go to the track, and buy a bike worth taking... fuck you too... )

and I take the corners 5-10 over in a cage.... 4DAIVI said DOUBLE it, then subtract 5 or so... :)[/quote']

But again, the point is that on the track, you can get closer to the edge than you can on the street. You can learn things that will aloow you to react and respond better than if you solely learn on the street. It's really just a matter of ability and a reserve of knowledge that can help. It has nothing to do with going faster and keeping up with buddies.

Not to brag, but your 80% is probably my 50-60%. If I ride at 80%, you'll be way over your head and most likely get hurt. It's what I have learned about what bikes do when things are applied that allows my ability to increase or for my reserve to be greater in a situation that comes up.

To each their own and you'll never convince someone who doesn't want to, but going to the track will help vs. hurt. If you don't feel like you want to, that's cool, but don't say that not riding and learning on the track can make you better vs. if you would.

What I quoted is what I feel you took from my post...

I think you're misunderstanding my entire point. I have no problem with the track. I never said I did, I even said the track will make you a better rider. One of these days when I have enough money I will do some track days. Eventually I might race. I may buy a second bike down the road just to race...I know I can be a better rider, I'm barely a novice...

Just for perspective, I have Diablo Strada's on my bike, I got 9K miles out of them. My 6R took me to Deals Gap and back in a little over 48 hours. That's my riding style. I've never ran a sport tire. I don't care to run 80-90% of my ability. I'm happy with 50% and knowing there's a whole hell of a lot more I can push.

I've got my suspension set-up for street. I have a corbin seat. I have saddlebags. I can adjust my suspension to track, I can finish working on my stock seat and put it back on so I can move around in the seat, and I can take those bags off and run the track should I ever find the money. It's just not really a priority. I'm a street rider, I like to travel. My bike is more fun than my car to do that.

My whole point was there are other avenues to learn. The track is not the sole answer to how to ride. It's one option.

Take your own advice on this one... "The ones that can swallow their pride and want to learn..." Humble yourself. Realize other people don't ride the track day in/day out. Some of us like to ride street too.

I will add to this that I learned more in one day at the track when it comes to the abilities of my bike (yeah yeah yeah here come the wreck jokes...) than I have on the street whether it be urban or country rides. However it didn't shit for what I learn commuting to work and dealing with traffic on the street.

There is definitely a skillset difference between the track and street but they are complimentary. One space is going to be better for somethings and the other for other things.

I am no track wizzard , But, I read the first post and question !

It helps ME, to do a few things, 1. Only brake once, scrubb off the right speed, 2. set up early, and only make one steering input, lean the bike once ( unless it's a doube apex ) !! 3. get back on the power as soon as possible 4. look as far into the turn and where i want to go as far as I feel comfortable with !

It is the natural thing to do, but As soon as you let off the power the bike will stand straight up and you will run wide !

once you lean the bike, the power will help you to complete the turn and follow your line. In the turns, Power is your friend !

these things WILL inspire confidence !!

Edited by Catman

so how do/did you all gain confidence at setting your entrance speed/line into turns? It seems like every time i enter a turn, i panic, hit the brakes, scrub off about 5-10 mph and end up being pretty far below an "enjoyable" speed for most turns and feeling like i would have been fine doing...

Same issue here. I rode with some of the guys today and tried watching them.. of course they left me behind. They made it look so easy..

Same issue here. I rode with some of the guys today and tried watching them.. of course they left me behind. They made it look so easy..

Here is one guy that does NOT know how to do it. Not sure who taught this guy how to corner,

he's counter-leaning way off the bike unnecessarily which actually prevents him from getting the proper lean on the bike...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leBMUKAp5Yc

Here is one guy that does NOT know how to do it. Not sure who taught this guy how to corner' date='

he's counter-leaning way off the bike unnecessarily which actually prevents him from getting the proper lean on the bike...

i think your wrong..he came into the turn before too hot and couldnt adjust..really wasnt a counter leaning failure, rather riding over his head

i think your wrong..he came into the turn before too hot and couldnt adjust..really wasnt a counter leaning failure, rather riding over his head

Definitely over his head but he didn't need to be hanging off the bike like that in any of those turns, he simply needed to lean the bike.

Again...all valid points. But to gain confidence, would you rather be leaning over for the first time on the street with potholes, gravel, traffic, rabbitts, deer...etc..or on the track, where none of that comes into play?

You can get good riding street ...but you get better faster by riding the track.

Understand one thing. You riding and riding and learning the same thing is fine. However, if you are doing things wrong all along the way and developing habits, that's not the best way, is it? If you are judging yourself based on seat time and what YOU feel is best and progressive, again - you could be doing it in a manner that is not as effective and not correct.

That being said, the idea behind track days where instruction is involved or track based schools (Swantz being one of the best, for example) can accelerate the ability you NEED and provide CORRECT ways to do things in a CONTROLLED and supervised environment. Sure, you can learn things on your own. Trial and error is possible. However, understanding your bike and what it does is something that is needed to become a better rider.

No slamming here as I believe we all can constantly learn and progress - no matter who you are - BUT, I suspect that you could be a better rider even with all the seat time your have compiled.

Maybe the better way to have said it is that the track is the best place to excel QUICKER than trying it on the street. Too often, we get a LOT, I mean a LOT of really great street riders that come to our track days. Even after multiple events at the same track, they are not as fast as they are vs. the buddies they ride with that do not come to the track. The ones that can swallow their pride and want to learn, we can make faster not by running faster laps, but by learning what the bike is doing, how to set the bikes up for THEM, how to manage the bike and what it does and above all, how to manage themselves...

All these things usually are not done by the traditional street rider. Has nothing to do with seat time as again, doing it poorly all along is just time and time where you stack up bad habits on top of bad habits. It's just that track schools and days allow the rider to ride well, but w/o using up their tank of ability to do it. They aren't going to really go faster on the street, but what they have left in reserve in case something happens is much greater than if they hadn't.

I understand that you feel the way you do. I was in the same boat before I started racing. I thought I was a GREAT street rider. And, I was compared to the 5-10 guys that I rode with. I always got the "Dude, you should race" responses. But, that very first day I went to my race school, I told myself that I was way out of my element and that I wasn't a racer. I felt I was way off the deep end.

But, over the years, I got better. Not great by any means, but I got to the point that what I learned on the track really helped me on the street. I eventually quit riding the street, but I will once in a while and honestly, when I do, I prefer to ride alone as I get really nervous when around others as what they do concerns me...

I've been thinking about attending a school. However, I really suck and would not want to be further embarrassed. Do they offer classes for beginners, real beginners...

I've been thinking about attending a school. However, I really suck and would not want to be further embarrassed. Do they offer classes for beginners, real beginners...

It was Great meeting you and, Dude your fine ! Everyone is new to it at some point in time. :p

I stayed behind ya for a few to check your lines ,You kept yourself in your limits. Maybee seting up for your turns would help, and we don't care about waiting AT ALL !!!

Yes, a track school for beginers is awesome, I took kieth Codes in 2000 ??

It was great !! I am going back and doing it again, I'm rusty !!

Here is one guy that does NOT know how to do it. Not sure who taught this guy how to corner' date='

good god i wanted the dude videoing to wreck!! i wanted to dying listening to him talk "it was actually my breakfast tho haha"

dude was to hot and was crossed up like a mofo! those big rocks had to hurt!!! wonder how that felt with only his little im cool icon back protector?? think they had about 97 HP combined until that "r1 oh no gsxr 1000, i wouls love to have one of those, but still keep my bike" joined then.

damn im a neg. person this morning haha

It was Great meeting you and, Dude your fine ! Everyone is new to it at some point in time. :p

I stayed behind ya for a few to check your lines ,You kept yourself in your limits. Maybee seting up for your turns would help, and we don't care about waiting AT ALL !!!

Yes, a track school for beginers is awesome, I took kieth Codes in 2000 ??

It was great !! I am going back and doing it again, I'm rusty !!

Yeah.. I do better from the back watching.. I'll have to get out more often.