Corner entrance confidence

smashweights

so how do/did you all gain confidence at setting your entrance speed/line into turns? It seems like every time i enter a turn, i panic, hit the brakes, scrub off about 5-10 mph and end up being pretty far below an "enjoyable" speed for most turns and feeling like i would have been fine doing...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so how do/did you all gain confidence at setting your entrance speed/line into turns? It seems like every time i enter a turn, i panic, hit the brakes, scrub off about 5-10 mph and end up being pretty far below an "enjoyable" speed for most turns and feeling like i would have been fine doing...

follow some one else.

or double the posted corner speed minus 5 mph

follow some one else.

or double the posted corner speed minus 5 mph

LOL. How much trial and error did it take to come up with that figure?:)

smashweights: I think it just takes time and trial and error to build the confidence you need. It just takes time.

LOL. How much trial and error did it take to come up with that figure?:)

smashweights: I think it just takes time and trial and error to build the confidence you need. It just takes time.

just what ive seen that works for me normally.

only errors occur when a) i hit a rabbit mid corner or b) blind corner with gravel across both lanes... haha

go to the track! There is no other way to learn. you will be riding with good riders and you will see them do it and that will help you do it. Remember almost no matter how fast you feel like your going your bike WILL do it!

It is more fun on the track . . but you should almost always be able to double (if not better) the suggested corner speed. Get on the track where you don't have to worry about gravel, blind corners with cages coming out of driveways or left of center, animals, cops, and god knows what else.

1- where's a track near columbus and how do i get into that? always wanted to but haven't known where and what i need to do for the bike to do it.

2- i'm already taking corners withing like 5-10 mph of the posted speed... not happy with that.

Whatever you do, do NOT listen to anyone who says to double the posted speed for a given corner.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done, especially if you aren't confident in your abilities.

Remember to look through the corner, apply a little maintenance throttle, grip the tank with your legs and take the pressure off your hands. Be smooth with your inputs and the confidence will come and with confidence comes speed.

1- where's a track near columbus and how do i get into that? always wanted to but haven't known where and what i need to do for the bike to do it.

2- i'm already taking corners withing like 5-10 mph of the posted speed... not happy with that.

mid-ohio, bluegrass, beaver run, putamn. all are semi close with mid ohio being the clostest.

check out STT for more info.

ull have a blast at the track, thats for sure!

Mid-Ohio track day gave me my confidence. As long as it's not a cliff with a drop off I'm fine.

Find a somewhat curvy road nearby and ride that road ALOT, as most people said, it will come with time and practice.

As you get more comfortable and confident you'll find yourself taking the corners faster and faster. Give it time, it will come.

Whatever you do, do NOT listen to anyone who says to double the posted speed for a given corner.

Just because it can be done doesn't mean it should be done, especially if you aren't confident in your abilities.

Remember to look through the corner, apply a little maintenance throttle, grip the tank with your legs and take the pressure off your hands. Be smooth with your inputs and the confidence will come and with confidence comes speed.

Well stated. If you are one, looking down to adjust the speed to "double the limit", you are doing it wrong.

The only way to get better is to really do track days. Street riding will get you faster on a set number of turns YOU KNOW. However, when you think you are a super fast street guy? Come to the track and you'll see that a BIT of that ability will help you, but it won't make you a super fast track guy.

Track days help you understand the bike and what it does vs. just riding faster through a particular turn. Things like body position, looking up road, acceleration, braking, trailing, etc all come into play.

Most people that crash in corners - especially the street - usually get in too hot and cannot make adjustments to compensate and get out safe. They will tuck the front from braking and trailing too much or roll off the throttle and load the front and crash. Typically, you never see a rider that crashed coming out under acceleration. It's usually entrance or mid corner that causes issues.

There will be a lot of people telling you "how to". Just come to a track day and let us help you. Trust me when I say it will make you a MUCH better street rider...

The bike goes where you are looking..it doesn't magically take the corner just because you leaned over a lil bit. There are two mistakes everyone makes when they first start out. Not turning their head and looking where they need to be, not where they are right now...and target fixating. In all reality, you need to take it off the street so you don't have to worry about gravel, traffic, etc.

Take it to the track. The street is not kind to bikers.

Edited by InyaAzz