Carb damaged by backfire??

2wheels>4

I believe one carb on my cruiser is damaged now from a backfire. While riding this weekend it popped on me and now I can hear a terrible vacuum/pressure leak coming from one carb. Hard to isolate sound exactly, but it does not appear to be external and all the vacuum lines are accounted for and attached. Bike runs like shit, consistent with one carb being half in the bag. (usually when it backfires it will just blow off the vacuum line to the petcock, annoying but easily managed)

It is an 82 Yamaha 920 V-twin with Mikuni carbs if that makes a difference to anyone. My current plan is to tear off both today and if I don't find something fishy on my way to the carbs (like hose damage I missed) then I crack both open and start looking for the big nasty difference that will tell me which part needs replaced...

One other question this brings up... it backfired for a reason. That reason is that it has no baffles in the pipes (not my doing) and stock jets in the carbs. SO, do I re-jet or just rig some baffles??? (can't afford the pipes I want to put on it and stock ones are expensive even from boneyard in addition to looking and sounding like crap.) I can engineer myself a glasspack out of the existing exhaust easily enough, I think. More backpressure than I get now, anyway, and it might even sound less like, um, whatever the fuck kind of sick animal it sounds like now without any baffles...

Nice, bookmarked that one for future reference!! By motorcycle make AND carb make... Very nice.

Thanks for the heads-up, mang! Now, if only the website could motivate me to move in the morning, or just do my work for me.... grrrrr... :)

You wont have to separate the carbs to fix your vacuum leak, the only thing in between them is the linkage to keep the carbs in sinc. You don't need to rejet the carbs for a simple removal of the baffels, all you need to do is adjust the A/F screws out. I have a twin carb set on my bike and it has no idea what baffles are and it wont.

Edited by Wheezle