For the gunners out there

Goldie

So I decided I am going to buy a handgun, and wanted to know if there are any additional fees included in the advertised prices. I have never bought a gun before, so sorry if this is a dumb question, I just want to be prepared. Vance's has a few I am interested in for $400, and I know tax is not included.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a first time buyer (in regards to brand or retailer). I want something that has a rail so I can add on a light or laser. I'm not really dead set on a certain brand. Thanks for your feedback everyone

-A

Also: Are there any discounts for being a NRA member?

Edited by Goldie

I'd look for a Taurus 24/7 series. I've got a 24/7 ProLS in .45 as well as their PT1911. Haven't had any problems with either of them and they seem to be a little less expensive than the rest. I'm currently shopping for a PT145 for carry. I've had quite a few Taurus handguns over the years and they were all great guns, and you can't beat their price.

I have not heard a whole lot about Taurus actually. I do know that I want a 9mm just because of the cost of ammo, or even a .22 would be fine. I have a feeling though if I got a .22 I would get shit for it. Kinda like the guy with the small penis or something.

Depends on what you want to do with it I guess. For a carry gun I wouldn't get less than the 9mm, for general shooting/plinking you can't beat the .22. Nothing you can do with a 9mm I can't do with a .22, and a whole lot cheaper. A friend and I went thru close to a thousand rounds yesterday with our rimfires and cost about 40 bucks. 1000 rounds of 9mm=$$$

That is incredible, 1000 .22 rounds for $40. I really just want it to range shoot, so I think a .22 would work. If I decide I don't like it, I can always upgrade to something bigger. Also I guess if I needed it for home defense, a .22 is still going to get the job done, just not as efficiently maybe.

Didn't prices go up on guns and ammo with the rush of the guns nuts screaming, "They are taken my guns from me!!!!!"

I'm looking to buy as well, but I'm waiting because I think prices will drop a little after this new bill is signed allowing concealed carry into parks.

Didn't prices go up on guns and ammo with the rush of the guns nuts screaming, "They are taken my guns from me!!!!!"

I'm looking to buy as well, but I'm waiting because I think prices will drop a little after this new bill is signed allowing concealed carry into parks.

Springfield XDs are nice... Get something that fits your hand and your intended use rather than for the looks or features though. I would heasitate to recommend a specific firearm without knowing how large of a person you are and what you want it's primary function to be.

Vances is the best place to shop, great selection, good prices and the staff is generally competant. Lots of good deals on used firearms and LE trades.

I have a Glock 23 .40cal for sale. Less than 500 rounds through it (owned Glocks for years, but this one specifically was purchased just for concealed carry and didn't see much range time) It already has trigger work (polished sear) 6 magazines (4 high cap), range bag, Fobus adjustable paddle holster, aftermarket adjustable sights and it is the new frame, so slides and rails for lights.

I will let it all go for 550 bucks since I don't shoot it, I bought a smaller weapon for CCW now, and I want something new to play with. PM me if interested. (just fair warning, I do NOT deal well with punks and wanna be thugs... If someone other than a responsible adult asks to purchase my firearm, they may get a less friendly look down my barrel.... If you pick up my pistol and hold it sideways like a gangsta, I will beat you to death with the nearest solid object. Really.)

I know the House had passed it yesterday, but I didn't think it had made it all the way to be signed by Obama.

I think it will take a few and once the scare tactics no longer work and die down, gun prices will see a steady decline to lower prices as long as no one gives the NRA or gun manufacturers another reason to run around claiming the sky is falling.

I know the House had passed it yesterday, but I didn't think it had made it all the way to be signed by Obama.

I think it will take a few and once the scare tactics no longer work and die down, gun prices will see a steady decline to lower prices as long as no one gives the NRA or gun manufacturers another reason to run around claiming the sky is falling.

You are right. It is inserted into the credit reforom bill that was just passed.

Springfield XDs are nice... Get something that fits your hand and your intended use rather than for the looks or features though. I would heasitate to recommend a specific firearm without knowing how large of a person you are and what you want it's primary function to be.

Vances is the best place to shop' date=' great selection, good prices and the staff is generally competant. Lots of good deals on used firearms and LE trades. [/b']

I have a Glock 23 .40cal for sale. Less than 500 rounds through it (owned Glocks for years, but this one specifically was purchased just for concealed carry and didn't see much range time) It already has trigger work (polished sear) 6 magazines (4 high cap), range bag, Fobus adjustable paddle holster, aftermarket adjustable sights and it is the new frame, so slides and rails for lights.

I will let it all go for 550 bucks since I don't shoot it, I bought a smaller weapon for CCW now, and I want something new to play with. PM me if interested. (just fair warning, I do NOT deal well with punks and wanna be thugs... If someone other than a responsible adult asks to purchase my firearm, they may get a less friendly look down my barrel.... If you pick up my pistol and hold it sideways like a gangsta, I will beat you to death with the nearest solid object. Really.)

I have had good experiences at Vance's every time I went in. Now granted this pre-election so I don't know how busy and hectic it has been in there since. The times I was there the salesmen were competent, explained the pro's and cons, and didn't rush the sale.

I have had good experiences at Vance's every time I went in. Now granted this pre-election so I don't know how busy and hectic it has been in there since. The times I was there the salesmen were competent, explained the pro's and cons, and didn't rush the sale.

The staff is mostly comprised of off-duty and retired LE and old school powder monkeys. You get the occasional tool (some ARE cops... LOL) but even the dumb one is a leap above anyone at a chain store. Also, if you are of the capitalist bent, they are a nice, local, established business that has served the community well for many, many years. (and it is the safest place on Cleveland ave South of 161...)

Remember though, they are closed on Monday... I have gone there for years and STILL forget that sometimes... GRRRRRR.

The staff is mostly comprised of off-duty and retired LE and old school powder monkeys. You get the occasional tool (some ARE cops... LOL) but even the dumb one is a leap above anyone at a chain store. Also' date=' if you are of the capitalist bent, they are a nice, local, established business that has served the community well for many, many years. [b'] (and it is the safest place on Cleveland ave South of 161...)

Remember though, they are closed on Monday... I have gone there for years and STILL forget that sometimes... GRRRRRR.

LOL, it is the safest place on Cleveland Ave past 161. I agree with you there. I hate to admit it but the closed on Monday's got me a few times too. :D

for basic target for a beginner, try a Walther P22 or a SIG Mosquito.

I have a Beretta NEOS 6" i've used for bullseye shoots and love it. I do carry a Taurus PT111 9mm subcompact and love it. But for deep concealment, i break out the wheel gun, Taurus Ultralite 85 .38 spl. For IDPA shoots, i have a Taurus PT92... straightest shooter i've had.

Got a friend that picked up a Mosquito for his wife, really likes it. I'm kinda partial to the Ruger .22 handguns. I've got a MKIII with a 5 1/2 bull barrel and love it. Really surprised me how accurate it is, even out past 50yrds, and can bump fire 10 rounds in about a second! Too much fun!!

:fruit:

First, I would never put a Taser on a rail. If you are going to pick up a gun, use it, "f" the Taser". Second, the .22 as a home defense, No-Way. Third, forget the Springifeld.

If you have the money, try the H&K P2000SK which is as small as the compact Glocks, amongs the best made guns in the world and come in .9, .40 and .45. Also, they are all rail system guns. Range in price from $600 to $700 new and hold their value very well. I had one and currenlty have a H&K USP .40

And yes, ammo is getting VERY expensive.

First, I would never put a Taser on a rail. If you are going to pick up a gun, use it, "f" the Taser". Second, the .22 as a home defense, No-Way. Third, forget the Springifeld.

If you have the money, try the H&K P2000SK which is as small as the compact Glocks, amongs the best made guns in the world and come in .9, .40 and .45. Also, they are all rail system guns. Range in price from $600 to $700 new and hold their value very well. I had one and currenlty have a H&K USP .40

And yes, ammo is getting VERY expensive.

i didn't know you could put a taser on a rail! that would be almost as good as putting a chainsaw on a handgun rail.

and i think he said "light or laser".

Well ammo is a real pain to find in ohio right now... You can always find shotgun slugs and .22's tho'... haha but if its worth doing, its worth doing right...

my first gun was a taurus 24/7 pro 9 mm and I really liked it. It was very reliable, rarely had any malfunctions or jams, and mags were easy to reload. It was a little slim in my hands and I switched to a Glock G19 and I love it! I've fired thousands of rounds through my G19 and have no complaints. The one nice thing about getting a glock is there is ton's of accessories and after market items available for them. Holsters are easy to find, so are reasonably priced magazines, etc... And if you want to save on ammo you can buy a .22 conversion kit for the glocks. However finding a G19 might be hard right now... Another good gun for a reasonable price is the ruger SR9 but it is also slim so your trigger finger may overcompensate when you grip the gun.

i didn't know you could put a taser on a rail! that would be almost as good as putting a chainsaw on a handgun rail.

and i think he said "light or laser".

You're right, he said laser, not taser. But yes, there are picatiny rail systems for Tasers for long guns, haven't seen them for handguns. Not sure how or if that would work. Bad idea, don't want to confuse a less than lethal with the lethal trigger, know what I mean. :violin:

Ohhh, and I like pancakes too. :rolleyes: