hocking hills family road trip?? ...opportunity to check out this 555

socaln8tv

yesterday we rode down into the hocking hills area and i wanted to check out 555. so we did. me and my middle son got sick in my suv between 78 and 330 (?) That road is fun, crazy, nuts, exciting all wrapped up into one package.... saw a few british vintage mini coopers, but no bikes?? not one. being newer to riding, i was sitting up trying to imagine riding on a bike as opposed to being in a truck bc its so dif. some gravel, one or two heavy spots yesterday. killer blind corners, some negative canver and a lot of horse droppings. alot. not for me. not right now. im smarter than that. but at least i got to see what this road was about.

did get out for three hours on friday on both bikes... after riding the Honda VTR1000 for the 2nd half, i have felt sore up my back/side flanks, straight up my lower/upper abs and upper thigh muscle area. i feel like i have completely worked out. so, do you get a work out by riding? should you already be physically fit to ride? or is it both? lol.

I rode a short section of 555 on Friday; it has POTENTIAL to be an amazing road but it's just too messy to be ridden aggressively in the portion I saw. No HUGE patches of gravel, but enough scattered all over the entire road to force you to keep your speeds down. The road could also use a resurfacing. If it had a cleaner and smoother surface, it'd be a blast. Keep in mind that this opinion only pertains to a small section of the road...I forget exactly what part but I'll post that up later, probably along with a video I took of the ride.

You probably felt like you were getting a workout for a few reasons. And i say none of this to be a :penis:btw. My idea's are that because your 37, and that vtr is probably a little heavy for you. 450-460 pound bike. Compared to a 250 ninja or something. That's a little over 300 pounds. Nothing wrong with being 37, just an idea. I'm a fan of older women so don't feel bad. :p

I've heard of people riding into their 70's, just obviously as you get older, things get a little harder. How long have you been riding the vtr?

It doesn't matter if your fit, if you can throw your leg over a bike and touch the ground...flat footed. Your fine. However, it doesn't hurt to be in shape. Especially riding bigger bikes. A few hours or more at a time, pushing them through turns....etc...could wear you out. Even more so if you haven't been riding for long.

I've only been down to Hocking Once, and it was before I was riding...I'm looking forward to going camping there with my dual sport...been hearing a lot about this 555...so I take it it's a lot of fun?

hey sara, i just booked us a weekend cabin at happy hills in june. not sure dh will let me ride his bike while we are down there (he already said no) and i have to take my suv. we can tow my bike (have the trailer). i want to ride but we have the kids, which means we wont be able to ride together. :( it is what it is. but i am very excited. Even if i have to go it slow alone, i should have enough confidence a month from now, and 78 is just gorgeous!!

slo and lo is the way to cruise hocking in my opinion... I ride with the sportbike guys from around here, they don't seem to mind me going slower as long as I bring plenty of water/beverages for everyone.... which is no problemo on my ride.... I gots plenty of space to haul stuff....

hey sara, i just booked us a weekend cabin at happy hills in june. not sure dh will let me ride his bike while we are down there (he already said no) and i have to take my suv. we can tow my bike (have the trailer). i want to ride but we have the kids, which means we wont be able to ride together. :( it is what it is. but i am very excited. Even if i have to go it slow alone, i should have enough confidence a month from now, and 78 is just gorgeous!!

You could always take a sitter for the kids...or find another couple to go with that wouldn't mind watching the little ones so you and your hubby could ride together, that would be the ultimate ride...open road and you're true love.,.it can't get any better than that! If you don't find someone to watch the kids while you're there, but want to cruise locally with your hubby, I would be more than happy to watch you kids...I have a 3 year old and 7+ years experience in child care...I know how important it is to be able to spend some quality time with your man...so anytime...my cell is 614-843-0391

slo and lo is the way to cruise hocking in my opinion... I ride with the sportbike guys from around here, they don't seem to mind me going slower as long as i bring plenty of water/beverages for everyone.... Which is no problemo on my ride.... I gots plenty of space to haul stuff....

qft.

been hearing a lot about this 555...so I take it it's a lot of fun?

It's got some great twisty sections, it's very long and very little traffic so it's a popular bike road. BUT, it's not to be taken lightly. For one thing some of the turns are off-camber, blind, or decreasing radius and inexplicably the worst two are unmarked so you can easily be duped into barrelling fast into the two most dangerous turns on that road. Also, there are a lot of farms and slow vehicles, so blind turns and hills are another potential for disaster. It's a little tore up here and there and cinders and gravel in some of the turns (mainly headed south) can be something to look out for.

Just take it VERY cautious until you know it, and you'll be fine. I think it's highly overrated as a sport-bike road, myself....78 west of 555 is better, although much shorter.

I took 555, 666 and 83 yesterday. 555 is too messy to be ridden aggressively..and it's not a road for novice riders. There is gravel in most corners. The elevation changes are SICK. You can NOT take this road at speed unless you are a god, and even then the gravel and debris is way too much for my liking. I will say that the last 20 miles seemed to be the best , IMHO.

I rode 555 with about 5 other bikes from around 1 to 3 or so.

I took 555, 666 and 83 yesterday. 555 is too messy to be ridden aggressively..and it's not a road for novice riders. There is gravel in most corners. The elevation changes are SICK. You can NOT take this road at speed unless you are a god, and even then the gravel and debris is way too much for my liking. I will say that the last 20 miles seemed to be the best , IMHO.

I rode 555 with about 5 other bikes from around 1 to 3 or so.

in jest, i can totally see what you mean with the elevation thing, being i got sick like a total wuss yest "inside a vehicle." ;) but im sure are talking about tire grip, so on an so forth. wished we would have passed you guys. to not see any bikes was surprising. i saw a pile of gravel -- like an actual pile was dropped in the middle of the opposite lane. i have no desire to ride it. --kimberly

You probably felt like you were getting a workout for a few reasons. And i say none of this to be a :penis:btw. My idea's are that because your 37, and that vtr is probably a little heavy for you. 450-460 pound bike. Compared to a 250 ninja or something. That's a little over 300 pounds. Nothing wrong with being 37, just an idea. I'm a fan of older women so don't feel bad. :p

I've heard of people riding into their 70's, just obviously as you get older, things get a little harder. How long have you been riding the vtr?

It doesn't matter if your fit, if you can throw your leg over a bike and touch the ground...flat footed. Your fine. However, it doesn't hurt to be in shape. Especially riding bigger bikes. A few hours or more at a time, pushing them through turns....etc...could wear you out. Even more so if you haven't been riding for long.

hiiii night rider.. dont know whether to sock u in the shoulder for pointing out my elderly status, or, grant you forgiveness since you're a "a fan old of ladies."...or broads, depending who you are on this site ..ha ha ha:popcorn: anyhoo, onto the feedback.. lol. it is a heavy bike. i'm only 5'2 and my toes touch the ground. yesterday was my 4th time on the vtr.. the first two times in large parking lots, getting used to the gears, then gradually picking my legs up, etc... standard, right? so friday was a huge step for me, getting on the fwy and such, 4th time on the bike. ironically i felt much safer, more comfortable on the fwy than street. probably bc im still clutching in first, and using hand break when stopped with right foot flat... as opposed to moving into nuetral and using the safer foot break when at stops. i think im using this bike to make myself more comfortable with sportsbikes since i might be turning that direction. i think i used my thighs and tummy to take pressure off my hands to avoid the tingling bc i have tendonitis... hence elderly status.. ;) -kimberly

hiiii night rider.. dont know whether to sock u in the shoulder for pointing out my elderly status, or, grant you forgiveness since you're a "a fan old of ladies."...or broads, depending who you are on this site ..ha ha ha:popcorn: anyhoo, onto the feedback.. lol. it is a heavy bike. i'm only 5'2 and my toes touch the ground. yesterday was my 4th time on the vtr.. the first two times in large parking lots, getting used to the gears, then gradually picking my legs up, etc... standard, right? so friday was a huge step for me, getting on the fwy and such, 4th time on the bike. ironically i felt much safer, more comfortable on the fwy than street. probably bc im still clutching in first, and using hand break when stopped with right foot flat... as opposed to moving into nuetral and using the safer foot break when at stops. i think im using this bike to make myself more comfortable with sportsbikes since i might be turning that direction. i think i used my thighs and tummy to take pressure off my hands to avoid the tingling bc i have tendonitis... hence elderly status.. ;) -kimberly

:lol:I have a thing for milfs. I take it you have a bit of a hard time holding the bike up don't you? I'm not gonna knock you for wanting to ride a big bike so soon. If given the chance i would have too. General rule of thumb, you should be in 1st at stops any way. In case you need to make an emergency maneuver. Keep an eye on what's behind you, look in your mirrors, if you can. You never know when some douche might rear end you.

Tendonitis sucks though, but...i thought women liked the vibration? :p

377 got me 2 years ago...I am plotting my return at this moment. I am going to do my front brakes next week, rock 204 out to zanesville, 78 S to 377...I will have that 50 feet over again and I will make it happen. Couple more roads in there and I'm good.

555 - don't like it. To each their own I guess, but it is one of the best known roads in Ohio.

Socal,

There are many better roads than 555. For some reason a number of people here are fixated on it. IMHO that road is too dangerous to be rode as a group. Especially with other riders you just met or barely know.

Something to keep in mind is OR rides tend to be kinda hard on new riders. A wreck or two on most outings, just something to consider. With the limited cell coverage makes going down an even worse prospect.

They liken it to the Dragon. The big difference is Driveways, intersection, farming, amish and houses. I have had more than one close encounter with a chasing dog bout intercepting me at the end of a drive way. Also had a close encounter with a Dump truck with a tractor on the end of a chain acrossed the road. That would have been ugly.

The dragon doesn't have much if any of these.

If you have to ride it. Ride it with restrain.

or you could just come out with me and some other slo n go cruisers and take it easy and get to know the road before you try to shred it with the sporty guys... I did my first run last year and even tho I held the group up a few times they forgave me cause I had all the capacity for carrying water and stuff....

I agree that 555 is too dangerous to ride in a group. I have no desire to do it again, unless it gets cleaned up. The gravel is BAD. VERY dangerous.

Socal, don't feel bad about the motion sickness. One of the riders in our group got motion sickness. I'm not surprised at all..the elevation changes are a beast.

or you could just come out with me and some other slo n go cruisers and take it easy and get to know the road before you try to shred it with the sporty guys... I did my first run last year and even tho I held the group up a few times they forgave me cause I had all the capacity for carrying water and stuff....

thank you for the welcome! one of the things i keep reminding myself is that im still awaiting my training class up at the honda facility. thats not till the end of august. i have a good deal of practice to be able to go out on the roads, but here i am already knowing i want to upgrade my bike and i havent even went through the class yet. one of my concerns is -- like you -- i really don't want to be that person who holds up the group. id be that "one to forgive" cause my virago has the bags too! actually they come in handy. at first i wanted to take off the sissy bar and bags but i decided to keep'em.

a year later, its all good, eh?

thank you for the welcome! one of the things i keep reminding myself is that im still awaiting my training class up at the honda facility. thats not till the end of august. i have a good deal of practice to be able to go out on the roads, but here i am already knowing i want to upgrade my bike and i havent even went through the class yet. one of my concerns is -- like you -- i really don't want to be that person who holds up the group. id be that "one to forgive" cause my virago has the bags too! actually they come in handy. at first i wanted to take off the sissy bar and bags but i decided to keep'em.

a year later, its all good, eh?

yeah I'm on my first bike still, it's an 07 suzuki c-50..(800 cc) and I know what you mean I got used to it really quick and now am ready for a bigger bike... of course I already have 13 thousand miles on it... so I know I'll keep it, it's comfortable and low maintenance... now i just want a sporty type bike to kick around on... and maybe a muscle cruiser like a harley v-rod, or a yammie warrior... or go all out and get an m-109... I do like suzuki... but yeah anytime you wanna go out and practice hit me up and we'll hit some back roads that will let you develop at your own pace....

.... just obviously as you get older, things get a little harder...

Bullshit - the more experience you have, especially riding aggresively on technical roads, the easier it gets.

Bullshit - the more experience you have, especially riding aggresively on technical roads, the easier it gets.

I think with age comes the wisdom, and practice makes perfect, course logging a ton of miles like you do doesn't hurt either...:D

Holding up the group is the least of your worries. I would never consider going with a group if that was a possibility.

Ride your own Pace.

If you don't you will be the one picked up by the squad.

If your just taking "how to ride courses" I would spend the next summer or two riding with only one or two other people you know and trust.