hocking hills family road trip?? ...opportunity to check out this 555

socaln8tv

Holding up the group is the least of your worries. I would never consider going with a group if that was a possibility.

Ride your own Pace.

If you don't you will be the one picked up by the squad.

If your just taking "how to ride courses" I would spend the next summer or two riding with only one or two other people you know and trust.

im pretty much riding with my husband at this point. and i listen to him too bc, he too is cautious but has that spark in him too. He'll only push me if he thinks i can do it. he thinks i can do things even when im on the fence and pretty much he's been right. at the same time, he'll tell me where i can improve. Right now, we favor the roads in hocking hills area, but i just can't do marysville to nelsonville and back in one day yet from Marysville. too much to follow behind... me on a virago 250, him on the superhawk. dificult to say the least, frustrating for sure, no mater who is on what bike, bc now we can switch back and forth!

Just a suggestion so take it for what it's worth. You may find riding with other women a bit more advantageous. I'm sure your husband is a great rider and teacher but I've found that women are better off in the hands of other women. (in more ways than one :cool:)

Men seem to lack a certain something needed when relating to females and how they ride a motorcycle. For instance' date=' we handle our bikes with brute force and upper body strength. In most cases you ladies aren't able to imitate that technique. My wife has told me she has to shift the bike with her body and hips to get it to move around on a tight road. Bar input is virtually the same for both sexes but I believe men and women manipulate their bikes in different manners.

Like I said, it's just a suggestion and definitely not Gospel.[/quote']

That certainly isn't a bad suggestion...socal...we've been talking about a girls ride in the girls only forum...maybe it's something we should look into!!

I agree that 555 is too dangerous to ride in a group. I have no desire to do it again, unless it gets cleaned up. The gravel is BAD. VERY dangerous.

Socal, don't feel bad about the motion sickness. One of the riders in our group got motion sickness. I'm not surprised at all..the elevation changes are a beast.

thanks. i feel so much better! i was in peru some years ago and traveled by bus to the top of the andes...which was recommended bc of the drastic elevation climb.... to say that taking a bus versus taking the plane was an improvement was total bs... i was so sick.. borderline delirium. seriously -- if i had died, at least it would have put me out of my misery. So, i noticed there really arent any signs posting elevation around there. does anyone know what they are down in that region?

... So, i noticed there really arent any signs posting elevation around there. does anyone know what they are down in that region?

Without making it complicated, the hilly part of Ohio has roads that go up about 400 feet, and down about 400 feet. This can increase in the areas to the Eastern part of the state.

An example is leaving the Logan/Nelsonville area and heading East on route 78. The elevation by the lakes and towns is about 750 feet above sea level. The road tops out on top of the ridges, at around 1000-1100 feet above sea level. And then drops back down in the valleys. Route 555 is similar.

Edited by ReconRat
add 555

Just a suggestion so take it for what it's worth. You may find riding with other women a bit more advantageous. I'm sure your husband is a great rider and teacher but I've found that women are better off in the hands of other women. (in more ways than one :cool:)

Men seem to lack a certain something needed when relating to females and how they ride a motorcycle. For instance' date=' we handle our bikes with brute force and upper body strength. In most cases you ladies aren't able to imitate that technique. My wife has told me she has to shift the bike with her body and hips to get it to move around on a tight road. Bar input is virtually the same for both sexes but I believe men and women manipulate their bikes in different manners.

Like I said, it's just a suggestion and definitely not Gospel.[/quote']

very valuable reply! something to consider. thank you.

• 2 months later...

Just got back from riding hocking and 555, I have a garmin oregon 200 gps and I'm looking at the elevation graphs for the trip. Hocking hills highs around 1075 feet and lows around 750 to 800, rt 555( I didn't get to ride the far southern run) highs 1100 and lows 690's. I wish I could post the graph, I'll try later....

Mike

Here is the spreedsheet showing you the elevation changes, my actual speed and time for the trip broken into small sections, very cool.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AmeIM94aqNk8dFowODBRR2NYQVNVTVJYZ1h5R3p3bGc&hl=en

If you goto my trip page you can see the route the data came from. Is here:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=290561