Took the ERC

V4junkie

Well I took the MSF Experience Rider Course yesterday. I had gotten my license the old fashioned way so I never did the basic. I have to say it was pretty fun. I was the only supersport there. We had a few HD, couple Wings, a 919, supermoto (man he had it easy :D), Triumph, and an ST1100. So here's what I learned:

1) the R6 has a pitiful lock to lock. I would be doing the sharp U-turn and get my throttle hand pinned to the tank. Since we were doing a lot of parking lot maneuvers I was way out of my element. Not surprisingly, the HDs are pretty good moving around in their natural habitat, the parking lot. :p

2) My set up for a corner wasn't great a couple of times. The instructor said I was braking too late before I went in. I definitely noticed that I went in too hot on a couple of the tight turn exercises, had to trail the rear to bring it back in line.

3) Brakes are amazing (ok I already knew that). They told us at the beginning "You might be used to pulling on the brake lever with one or two fingers, here we would like you to use all four." I pleaded to use just two, they said no. The first panic stop exercise I used two by pure instinct and they told me they thought I was going to stoppie. I used two for the rest of the day.

4) I wasn't looking up far enough in the corner. Especially in the beginning I couldn't help but look at the slalom cones, which make me get out of line by the end of it. I got better, but on the tighter/slower version my steering lock kept me from making much improvement. Also, on the higher speed maneuvers I got my eyes up horizon level instead of looking for the exit, definitely helped. Much more natural.

5) ST1100s can lean. Really cool guy on that bike, really had it cranked over in some of the exercises. Last exercise we did a mini race course (think peanut with a back straight) and they split us into 3's. It was the ST, 919, and me. Really fun, not really pushing it but enough corner speed to get some adrenaline going. Really has me pumped to do a trackday (when I have $$$).

6) If you are the only supersport and show up in full leathers, prepare to get comments. Still, really cool guys. Not jeering, but funny. For example, once we got out of the slow u-turn and slalom exercises it was time for the higher speed turns they would turn to me and say "You'll really like this one" or "There something at the bottom of the manual here. Tell the guy in red leathers not to do this at 100mph."

Anyway, good times. I scored a walk in with no trouble and it went from about 8am to 1pm. I would definitely recommend it and I hope I'll get a little insurance discount too.

They were doing the BRC right next to us so I was able to see what it was about. The 250's looked fun but the exercises are downright boring compared to the ERC.

We did (that I can remember):

Low speed slalom

Panic Stops

90 deg turns

U turns in about two parking spaces of width

S turn

Short and long U turn at speed

Out-in-out sweeper and decreasing radius

Avoidance maneuvers

Stopping in a corner

Mini track

Progressive offers a safety course discount.... might be a bit hard to get it on mid-term, I'd have to check.

Disclosing now, I work for Progressive and my opinions are my own and do not represent the company... etc etc etc

I got professional instruction for my advance class. Mid-Ohio Track. :D

I myself wouldn't take advice on riding sportbike from those guys. It's more based for the cruiser experience. They really don't know what's best for a sportbike ride.

On clutch too, you shouldn't use 4 fingers either on a sportbike. They're light weight and torque can get you in trouble sometime if you aren't holding onto the bar. 2 fingers is the most optimal way to utilize the clutch. Yeah, they need 4 to pull theirs in and don't have to worry about the insane power trying to pull you off your bike.

Edited by NinjaNick

I myself wouldn't take advice on riding sportbike from those guys. It's more based for the cruiser experience. They really don't know what's best for a sportbike ride.

I know what you mean. Like I said I learned a few things so it was worth it. Apparently they're trying to field interest for a sportbike-only type of ERC. That would have made more sense than being mixed in with HDs and Wings. I don't think I'm worried about taking another one, I don't get an insurance discount and getting up at 6am to get to Cbus and spend all morning in a parking lot is not something I want to do very often.

Standing around in the sun not moving game me monkey butt :violin:

Oh and in other news I had the cash on me to pay them and they forgot to ask me for it. Then called me later and told me they forgot. I haven't called them back yet. I'm a bit undecided, mostly because I'm still pissed about no insurance discount.

On clutch too, you shouldn't use 4 fingers either on a sportbike. They're light weight and torque can get you in trouble sometime if you aren't holding onto the bar. 2 fingers is the most optimal way to utilize the clutch. Yeah, they need 4 to pull theirs in and don't have to worry about the insane power trying to pull you off your bike.

You come pull my clutch and tell me not to use 4 fingers :p

damn Aprilias.

I'm a bit undecided, mostly because I'm still pissed about no insurance discount.

As much as I am for this, most of those instructors are cool guys and spend a lot of time helping others and that money does pay them. Insurance company is the reason you're pissed not the ERC.

Hey hey hey now, let's not blame the insurance companies!

For Ohio motorcycle ERC would classify if it is a approved safety course... as far as I know ERC is approved....

Now in terms of insurance let me preface this by saying I am NOT a licensed agent, nor do I have anything to do with rating, claims etc. I work in business and "experience" on the quoting applications (how, why, what it looks like). Any advice I give you here you MUST review with a licensed agent.

Take a look at a few things when you're shopping for your insurance, particularly the vehicle usage, mileage if they ask, deductibles, and limits. Some companies *cough*Geico*cough* default everything to legal state minimum.

Personally I'm carrying 100/300 BIPD and uninsured motorist, 500 comp and coll deductibles (because it was only 5-10$ more than $1k deductible). If you have health insurance you don't really need Medical Payments.

Again, review it with a licensed agent.... but bottom line.... if ERC is approved it's good for a discount for Progressive at least.

State Farm doesn't offer a discount for taking the MSF course. Ghey.

THIS...pissed me off. I just finished the BRC last weekend and was really looking forward to the (no matter how small it might have been) insurance break...only to find out I can't get one. Oh well, I'm still really glad I took the course, it was decent fun, and I learned a ton. I feel a lot more confident now, but no more willing to ride like a hot head haha. You have to have been riding for at least a few years to take the ERC right? Anyone know what the BRC2 is like?