Should I consider this a deal or not?

cmoosego

i've heard the bmw's that have a drive shaft last FOREVER but that one looks belt driven like a buell? I'd go with an FZ1, i'm pretty sure they do have older R1 motors like someone mentioned earlier... But if it's a passion you're trying to share with your wife she might be much more comfortable on the back of the beamer! Remember... " a happy wife.. is a happy life" lol Look at the size of my r6 rear seat... my wife doesn't share my passion.... :D

i've heard the bmw's that have a drive shaft last FOREVER ...

The driveshaft eventually does go down, at rather high mileage. But then the bike is effectively totaled. Pretty much too expensive to repair.

... But if it's a passion you're trying to share with your wife she might be much more comfortable on the back of the beamer! Remember... " a happy wife.. is a happy life" lol Look at the size of my r6 rear seat... my wife doesn't share my passion.... :D

Chris, if you get rid of the the cruiser you'll probably be riding minus the wifey. My wife hates riding on the back of mine, since I got it shes rode with me twice.

i've heard the bmw's that have a drive shaft last FOREVER but that one looks belt driven like a buell? I'd go with an FZ1, i'm pretty sure they do have older R1 motors like someone mentioned earlier... But if it's a passion you're trying to share with your wife she might be much more comfortable on the back of the beamer! Remember... " a happy wife.. is a happy life" lol Look at the size of my r6 rear seat... my wife doesn't share my passion.... :D

BMW motors will last forever, but the rest of the bike will nickle and dime you to death...

If you want to check out an FZ1 I have a used 2006 for sale...its a great bike super fun tons of power. Send a PM to zerocrash he owned one for awhile

IIRC correctly Chris.....Michael loved his FZ1. In fact.....I think most of what I've ever heard about them was positive.

If you're gonna look at other options besides the Beemer.......You might wanna check that Viffer we talked about earlier.....Honda VFR 800 "Interceptor". Hoblick has one if you wanna talk to someone you know, and I think he's said how much he likes it

Also......Not to be a smart a$$, but you can pick up a later model 'Bird ('03) for a substantial discount over a 'Busa or 14 ($5-6,000 ballpark). You could get soft bags for it, like I've got, that easily come off when you don't need/want them, or get a pair of Givi's or some other hard bags.....but MotorCyclist once again just named it a "Smart Money Buy" in their June issue

She's not the top dog anymore, but she's still fast enough that Nick was impressed by the 'ol girl last year on the Jim Beam ride, more of an upright position than a pure sportbike since it's technically a "sport tourer", and most importantly......It's a Honda!! :D

+1 on the XX, the tail bags I am using now to hold the baby on I used on my XX. With a tank bag added to the mix I could carry everything I wanted. The seat was an issue for me riding two up though. It's one seat and my passengers couldn't stay on it where they wanted. For me the busa was better two up. YMMV.

Always hear good things about the Yamaha FJR 1300 too. Think EarAche has one, if you want some first person input. Sport tourer, more slanted toward the tour.........

black+yamaha+fjr+1300.jpg

22755_0_1_2_fjr%201300%20as_Image%20credits%20-%20Yamaha.jpg

Minus the bags.........

yamaha_fjr-1300_sports-bike.jpg

And BTW Chris......Speaking for myself....Don't feel like you've got to trade a bike you already like, or put yourself in debt, just to ride with us.

And you're complaining?? :D

Not necessarily because now I can ride faster but sometimes I do miss just goin out and cruisin around with her on the back.

well I know that getting top heavy in a bike is dumb... so i will just keep looking and saving my pennies for a project bike this winter that way I can have the best of both worlds, I'll keep my cruiser and have a sportier bike to kick around on... maybe get really lucky and get a huge side job and be able to afford to buy something with cash and get something that I can just get out on and ride....

The F800ST is actually a solid dependable BMW compared to a lot of the other bikes.

The engine is an 800cc Rotax. It'll last forever, oil changes on it are a breeze compared to a lot of the other BMW's. The belt drive, imo, was an excellent choice for this particular bike. When they came out I was convinced that was my next bike because it's going to be the most dependable BMW you will ever own. I wasn't as impressed with the power as I thought I was going to be after I worked on a couple though and that changed my mind about buying it. It handles amazing and it's going to be quicker and more nimble than a c50, but it's not in the same league as a 500cc "sportbike" if you will.

The other thing I don't like about BMW after becoming certified to work on them, that I knew before I became certified, but was reinforced after becoming certified...They have all sorts of electronics and if one throws a code the bike can go into fault mode and the only way to have it fixed is to go to a dealer and have it plugged into the BMS and reset. I've seen where the bike will throw a false code and this happens and you're out at least 30min for a diagnosis charge at any dealer.

So my final opinion from the view of a BMW mechanic...There's a better bike out there for the price. If you are set on a BMW though this is one of the best smaller cc bikes you'll find.

Not necessarily because now I can ride faster but sometimes I do miss just goin out and cruisin around with her on the back.

She was more comfortable on the back of your scooter, than a full size bike?

well I know that getting top heavy in a bike is dumb... so i will just keep looking and saving my pennies for a project bike this winter that way I can have the best of both worlds, I'll keep my cruiser and have a sportier bike to kick around on... maybe get really lucky and get a huge side job and be able to afford to buy something with cash and get something that I can just get out on and ride....

Sounds like a great plan. Having both would be awesome, I would love too as well, and winter projects are fun.

I did the same thing earlier this year, found a bike I loved that was a great deal, but even though it is hard, sometimes passing it is the sensible thing to do, especially with the uncertain economy right now.

There will always be great deals that come along, the next may be even better!

The F800ST is actually a solid dependable BMW compared to a lot of the other bikes.

The engine is an 800cc Rotax. It'll last forever, oil changes on it are a breeze compared to a lot of the other BMW's. The belt drive, imo, was an excellent choice for this particular bike. When they came out I was convinced that was my next bike because it's going to be the most dependable BMW you will ever own. I wasn't as impressed with the power as I thought I was going to be after I worked on a couple though and that changed my mind about buying it. It handles amazing and it's going to be quicker and more nimble than a c50, but it's not in the same league as a 500cc "sportbike" if you will.

The other thing I don't like about BMW after becoming certified to work on them, that I knew before I became certified, but was reinforced after becoming certified...They have all sorts of electronics and if one throws a code the bike can go into fault mode and the only way to have it fixed is to go to a dealer and have it plugged into the BMS and reset. I've seen where the bike will throw a false code and this happens and you're out at least 30min for a diagnosis charge at any dealer.

So my final opinion from the view of a BMW mechanic...There's a better bike out there for the price. If you are set on a BMW though this is one of the best smaller cc bikes you'll find.

I pretty much agree with you Dustin, and you know more about the mechanics than I (and he knows his shit BTW). I don't think it's a bad bike, I just think for the money, even for a used one, there's better choices out there.

But for the record I like the F800GS way better, just more my style. Basically the same motor..

That does look pretty sweet! I'd say "go for it".

But it is an 800 - not going to have the power and grunt that you might expect or want. Should be easier to handle in tight stuff though with the wide bars.

FJR and ST's are freakin' tranks and I'd never suggest one for someone that didn't have a lot of riding exdperience. They can go fast, but it takes some real doing to make that happen and shitloads of experience also help. The BMW would be much more forgiving, plus have an upright passenger seating position that your wife will certainly appreciate.

FJR and ST's are freakin' tranks and I'd never suggest one for someone that didn't have a lot of riding exdperience. They can go fast, but it takes some real doing to make that happen and shitloads of experience also help. The BMW would be much more forgiving, plus have an upright passenger seating position that your wife will certainly appreciate.

I love the FJR and ST1300, (except they both tend to put out quite a bit of heat around your legs) and would love to ride either one across the country, but for around local around town shit, they can be a bit cumbersome.

I'd probably keep your bike for now (especially considering what you owe) and pick up a nice used VFR or FZ1 a little later. Or even a nice used 600 if you'll still have the "couch" for your wife to ride on as well. ;)