I'm curious Ninja 1400

buildit

Ever since Kaw put them out I have had a fascination with the Ninja 1400 and Concourse 1400. Anyone have either and mind doing a rider review???

:)

I'm a tall guy 6'4" and on my buddies CBR1000 my head is past the windshield, because I'm fat too! :D I always play this game of if I had to get another bike what would it be. These two have me curious.:cool:

There's a couple ZX14's on the site, NinjaNick an Con-e-rot Ninja (or something like that) I rode one once, it's a bit big for my liking. I'm 5'10" and 160 lbs, so I think we're gonna have very different experiences on the bigger shit.

I have yet to ride one of the new Concours, but it gets pretty good reviews and I'd certainly like to. I've ridden the FJR, ST1300, and all the BMW's and I could definitely see myself on something like that in the future, but only for distance riding. All are a bit cumbersome for me for local stop and go stuff. I actually like the BMW R1200RT the best out of the ones I've ridden, but hell, it's $20k... I SHOULD like it better.

I'd take an R1200 GS over any of them anyday though. ;)

Always found the Boxer BMW's to be turds performance-wise.

The new K1300 BMW GT is another bike you should look at. Made for taller guys, more claimed bhp than the Concourse and it certainley looks a lot better.

But as Zero points out - they ain't cheap at $18,800.

A well ridden sport tourer will embarass lots of sport bikes. They're big bikes, but larger guys will have no problem throwing them around. I'm 6'1" and 240 lbs and can ride with about 80% of the sportbikes I encounter on my ST1100 (2002). But a well ridden sportbike is still gonna leave me.

I pretty much suck at reviews, however my dad has the new concourse. He loves it. He had a different seat put on it, added a throttle lock, got a different windscreen, and slapped a set of michelin PR2 on it. He absolutely loves the bike. It's got plenty of power, I've raced him head to head on my 600 and he pulls me on the low end, but catches back up on top. If your looking for brute power he can pull the front end off the ground with ease. He just left on Monday for a 2K or so mile ride to Deals gap and around the area.

So there's something on the Concourse, I'm sure you'll get the ZX guys commenting shortly.

I love my zx14 logged almost 4,000 miles this season and not one complaint. The power is awesome the ride is smooth. It is a big bike and does not handle as good as the smaller bikes in the twisties but every time I take it out I find I can push it a little further than I thought and even though it is heavy it isn't awkward or unstable at slow speeds. I have rode 7-8hrs with no issues. My wife was not impressed with the passenger comfort so I picked up a concourse seat and she loves it now.

Yeah, I have lots of friends with BMWs. I have honestly been very underwhelmed with what you get for the $$$$. I'd take a KTM 990 adv over a 1200GS any day. Even if the KLT gas tanks are notorious to rupture and cost $900+ per side.

Thanks for the info. I tried a 2004 Connie 1000 once and it was nice except for my feet hitting the fairing when breaking or shifting. Big feet small space.:rolleyes: I don't know if the 1400 Connie has the same issue.

I guess the zx14 falls into the same catagory and a KTM 990 se. Tons of fun, lots of power, big enough for me to ride it very comfortably, but I wonder how practical it is? But then again I had the same missgivings about the V-strom when I first sat on one.:D

^great review nick.
:plus1:

I gave him a HUGE review via PM. I didn't want to post a review due to the plethora of ricky racers on here. I don't like talking trash about who can out do who, which I'm sure if my review was posted is what would happen. I let my riding do the talking and not my mouth. Therefore, to keep it a decent thread I told him via PM. :cool:

I gave him a HUGE review via PM. I didn't want to post a review due to the plethora of ricky racers on here. I don't like talking trash about who can out do who, which I'm sure if my review was posted is what would happen. I let my riding do the talking and not my mouth. Therefore, to keep it a decent thread I told him via PM. :cool:

lame bro

Great idea Nick, very different from one you would have given a year or 2 ago, which I assume is why you did it that way. Very mature actually and I'm impressed. :)

lame bro

Not lame at all.. Nick loves his bike and has very strong opinions about what he and the bike can do. If he would have posted a lot of it, it would have turned into a big stupid argument about who can corner faster and big bikes vs. smaller bikes, etc, etc.. I've seen it happen a million times and so has Nick so I think he took the high road and sent him a PM just to avoid such senseless bickering. :cool:

I could be wrong about his reasoning, but I think he did the right thing here so this thread didn't turn into a dick measuring contest. :)

We decided to call the big Ninja the electric bike after the Coshocton ride. Nick can ride the thing but I'm sure he can ride a Busa just as well if not better because it is a superior bike. (Maybe this will entice him to give up his review.)

Oh damn. :nono:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Great idea Nick, very different from one you would have given a year or 2 ago, which I assume is why you did it that way. Very mature actually and I'm impressed. :)

;) Yeah, I've learned a lot over the years on what should be said to prevent threads going wrong. I've forum matured a bit. :lol:

Not lame at all.. Nick loves his bike and has very strong opinions about what he and the bike can do. If he would have posted a lot of it, it would have turned into a big stupid argument about who can corner faster and big bikes vs. smaller bikes, etc, etc.. I've seen it happen a million times and so has Nick so I think he took the high road and sent him a PM just to avoid such senseless bickering. :cool:

I could be wrong about his reasoning, but I think he did the right thing here so this thread didn't turn into a dick measuring contest. :)

You are NOT wrong. You obviously know what is on my mind, because you are 100% correct sir.:)

We decided to call the big Ninja the electric bike after the Coshocton ride. Nick can ride the thing but I'm sure he can ride a Busa just as well if not better because it is a superior bike. (Maybe this will entice him to give up his review.)

:lol: It hopefully won't be quite for too long. I'll be the only twisty rider with a loud BROCK pipe on soon. After that you'll wish I still had the stock pipes. :)

This is not from a performance stand point but rather an experience stand point..

It has been my experience that the guys on the 'boxer BMWs' are waaaay faster then the guys on the inline BMWs. I know it all comes down to rider experience but I have yet to meet one inline BMW guy that can actually outride a GS guy. Which is strange because the "K" bikes are superior in almost every facet.

I know what you're saying = hardcore BMW riders tend to be good riders and they tend to favor the Boxer motor. I had a '02 R1150GS Boxer and it was dog slow. I could keep it on the pipe well enough to hang with most sportbikes, but definitely not in the straights. Took some thinking to ride it fast, but it could be done.

Yeah, he's got all types. Full race, full titanium, shortys, sidewinders, dual pipes, etc. He also sells you a power commander fully mapped already for your pipe with it done in Dayton on a real world track to factor in the ram air during mapping. It shows a little less than a dyno map, but it is stronger when riding. So my map would be from here which makes it plug and go. :cool:

Yeah, he's got all types. Full race, full titanium, shortys, sidewinders, dual pipes, etc. He also sells you a power commander fully mapped already for your pipe with it done in Dayton on a real world track to factor in the ram air during mapping. It shows a little less than a dyno map, but it is stronger when riding. So my map would be from here which makes it plug and go. :cool:

My 6R is still faster than you and your 14 though...

:D