Making stuff

buildit

So I got bored today and went into town to hang with my friend at his shop. While we were talking he pulled this stand out he made for his CBR1000. We got curious and yep, it worked on the Vstrom too!:D

Bikelift4.jpg

Bikelift3.jpg

Bikelift2.jpg

I think he'd be interested in selling them if anyone else wants one. Being unemployeed sucks. :(

Doesn't look bad but if that's a 10mm bolt on the swing arm it could be 1/2" steel.

It looks like solid bar though. And tubing is stronger than bar so the ones purchased would likely be stronger.

I don't care for the weight load being so close the end of it - but this is common on a lot of the ones I've seen so who knows.

I plan on making one for the my bike this weekend so maybe I'll get some pics up if it turns out any good.

Sal

So I got bored today and went into town to hang with my friend at his shop. While we were talking he pulled this stand out he made for his CBR1000. We got curious and yep, it worked on the Vstrom too!:D

Thats really awesome! You should talk to Zero, he is also very creative.

Edited by Sara_Rides

the mounting point of the stand should be a little more centered to the platform of the stand when lifted. looks to me that if you bumped the bike it may be able to rotate forward and the bike could fall.

I guess first it's solid steel bar, second the bolts are 10mm off the bike I keep in my spare parts bag, third he's selling them for $50 and last it's a lot taller than store bought lifts.

As unemployeed folks, it's try to be imaginative or starve. So I'm just trying to help a friend out by showing this. He does other welding and fab work too. I''l try to get his website address.

I guess first it's solid steel bar, second the bolts are 10mm off the bike I keep in my spare parts bag, third he's selling them for $50 and last it's a lot taller than store bought lifts.

As unemployeed folks, it's try to be imaginative or starve. So I'm just trying to help a friend out by showing this. He does other welding and fab work too. I''l try to get his website address.

no i feel bad for bashing it..i think he should make it out of at least 3/4 steel

no i feel bad for bashing it..i think he should make it out of at least 3/4 steel

Criticism welcome. If he doesn't hear the negative views he'll never know what people are looking for.:)

Believe it or not it is very strong and stable. But because it is large and gives great leverage it makes lifting the bike very easy.

I calculate 10 feet of 3/4" steel rod at 15 pounds.

I calculate 10 feet of 3/8" steel rod at 3.75 pounds.

geez, nobody challenged me on flexure, bending, deflection, or other deformation. Which would happen long before steel would shear... It varies, I'd need some numbers and some time to do some calculations. Most stuff is designed to be 100% stronger than necessary.

I calculate 10 feet of 3/4" steel rod at 15 pounds.

I calculate 10 feet of 3/8" steel rod at 3.75 pounds.

geez, nobody challenged me on flexure, bending, deflection, or other deformation. Which would happen long before steel would shear... It varies, I'd need some numbers and some time to do some calculations. Most stuff is designed to be 100% stronger than necessary.

i read the wrong column on the chart i was looking at :lol:

believe me, I can make mistakes...

oh believe me i make a lot of mistakes :lol: i scrolled down the page and thought i knew what headings were above which columns and i was obviously reading the wrong one haha