patch vs plug?

velnarah

friend of mine says he can patch my rear tire. are patching and plugging very different? Tire is in good shape minace the screw, i'd love to save it if I can.

I also don't ride as hard as some of the ppl here. Only once or twice a month and I don't hug the curves major hard. I wont put a peg or a knee down.

For bikes I have no idea. The problem with these is the patch plugs are like 7 bucks, and the tire has to be dismounted, plugged, remounted and then balanced so the labor will be a lil bit up there. We do this at the shop I work at but it is for cars, I dont know what would be charged for a bike tire. Im sure someone on here knows a good shop where you can get it done at. I do most all my own work and have a friend that has a lot of motorcycle tools, equipment and knowledge so he helps out on the stuff I cant do. Good luck.

Edit: I would imagine you would be fine at 75mph.

Discalimer: I am not responsible if anything happens to your wheel. LOL

Edited by chevysoldier
Edit: I would imagine you would be fine at 75mph.

if you were closer to coshocton i would do it for you. a couple guys in coshocton have ran a tire with a patch plug for the entire life of the tire (nail in the center of the tread within the 1st 100 miles of the tire). the tire that is on the rear of ron burgundy's bike has a patch plug in it right now.

I've ran a plug before... Even though you don't feel it, you feel it in your gut. And that's worse. But since you don't ride hard, you might not have a problem.

Exactly just that thought in the back of my head would make me think more about the tire that the road

if you were closer to coshocton i would do it for you. a couple guys in coshocton have ran a tire with a patch plug for the entire life of the tire (nail in the center of the tread within the 1st 100 miles of the tire). the tire that is on the rear of ron burgundy's bike has a patch plug in it right now.

so how hard/often does he ride?

...see on the one hand I want the new tire because of the whole.. thought lingering in the back of my mind deal. But on the other hand... I just blew alot on some recent car work and I still need to get parts for the oil leaks on my bike. this is crappy timing because there are two rides this month I wanted to attend I think I already missed one of them.

since I don't ride very hard or very often, if the patch/plug idea would fix the problem I'd probably be willing to go that route. Course I'l still have to pay for mounting and ballancing. >.>

Is your tire new V?

If not, patch it but def start looking at getting a new one put on.

Also with all the riders in Cincy someone has to tire changing gear. post a cincy thread asking for a hook up. Someone will help you.

if you got the money to get a new tire i would go that route. i just dont like the idea of a plug or a patch

:plus1:

Your life is worth the price of a new tire. NEVER cut corners with your tires. They are the most important part on your bike.

As stated in another thread, if it comes down to money, I would be happy to give you employee pricing on getting a replacement tire if it will keep you from patching your current one. One inch of tire is all that is keeping you upright at anyone time, why compromise that? Give me a call.

where's your shop? ...

the tire thing was already sorted out. The tire with the screw was not actually punctured all the way through, but I am curious if the tire is still ok. Wouldn't mind having a profesional opinion.

we could do a complete inspection on it for around $150. That would include a dyno as well

also... what's a dyno? sorry but I am still a noob to alot of this.

As a tire tech many moons ago I have done many patch plugs before most shopes even heard of them. I have done themin bike tires but I always tried to convince owner to not risk it. We even had waivers signed and eventually refused to do them.

where's your shop? ...

the tire thing was already sorted out. The tire with the screw was not actually punctured all the way through, but I am curious if the tire is still ok. Wouldn't mind having a profesional opinion.

also... what's a dyno? sorry but I am still a noob to alot of this.

We are located in downtown Delaware, OH just north of Columbus. You can see a map of our place on our website at http://www.390bike.com/map_hours.asp. A dyno is mechanical device that applys a load on the drive wheel of a motorcycle to simulate driving resistence. It allows us to measure the horsepower and torque that the bike is putting out. Also allows us to diagnose engine and transmission issues as well.