Tires revisited

dustinsn3485

I've found myself to be indecisive and quite stubborn...

I'm having a hard time picking out a set of tires for this 1990 Hurricane I'm working on.

Tires are a bit hard to come by and there are a variety of factors to consider. The vast majority are bias ply.

So anyone have some experience or insight as to which of these is better and why? Also if you have a suggestion that I didn't list please list what and why.

Dunlop GT501 - bias ply, V rated

Avon Am26 - bias ply, pretty sure, V rated

Michelin Pilot Activ - bias ply, H rated

Shinko SR740 - not sure, V rated

Front 110/80/17

Rear 140/80/17

Finally, I don't care to read the unintelligent "get a pilot power, they are teh winnar" I'm looking for knowledge...I know someone on here has some (reconrat) not to mention names.

I ran the Dunlop GT 501's predecessor on my old nighthawk. At least I'm thinking this replaced the K591. Way back then you could choose between compounds both were good wet or dry but the "R" was stickier mileage was horrific with it tho. I gotta think rubber compounds have made the tire a little better in the last 12 years since I ran em.

Please keep in mind that 1000's of ounces of beer have flowed through my brain since the last time I rode a bike with bias ply tires though so take it for what its worth ;)

I have also heard that if you can spoon ANY radial on there vs a bias ply tire then you'll have teh winnar!! Sometimes the sport touring tires come in "old-timey" sizes. If you havent already looked around at some road attacks or azaro's or whatever and see if you can find anything radial that will fit.

Edited by gruss

I'm having a hard time finding a radial. I can get a radial for the rear size, but that 110/80 front is giving me troubles. I guess my other option is to change the front tire size to accomodate a radial size. I'm not sure how much I'd have to change and/or what the effect is going to be.

A 110/70 might be ok, speedo run a little faster perhaps and a touch more daylight under the fender but I think they make some and if you keep it 110 shouldnt be clearance issues or anything

actually it looks like Azaro's have the sizes you need anyway: https://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=605

I have never ran them but at least its fairly modern rubber! can't find them sizes in road attacks...didnt look real hard though

Edited by gruss

Hmm...I hadn't seen that tire, and I have done a lot of searching around.

I'll be looking into those and that very well could be the tire for this bike.

I've never ran an Avon or even came close to them. Do they rate well compared to the big name brands?

if your looking for radials, what about a 120/70 for the front? comes very close in diameter to the 110/80.

as far as your aforementioned tire choices, I use pilot activ's on my ex500. I wore out the rear tire in about 6000 miles. Well, it still had tread on it, but due to my newb riding, and lots of highway travel, it was flat in the middle with plenty of meat on the edges.

since i've replaced it (and learned how to lean/ride a bit better), I'm noticing its wearing a bit better overall. I really like how they handle, and i've been caught in the rain numerous times, with no adverse effects.

exactly which 1990 hurricane do you have?

I'm guessing it's the 1990 CBR600F1.

not listing Kenda, Shinko, IRC, etc.

there are reasons that cheaper tires are cheaper.

Dunlop recommends only the GT501

Dunlop GT501 Arrowmax, bias ply, performance, V-rated

Bridgestone recommends only the BT45

Bridgestone Battlax BT45, bias ply, sport touring, H or V-rated

Avon recommends only the Azaro-ST(AV45/AV46)

Avon Azaro-St(AV45/AV46), radial ply, sport touring, V rated

Metzler doesn't list this model

Michelin doesn't list this model

Pirelli doesn't list this model

Maxxis doesn't offer a tire selector

Continental lists some very different size tires that will fit. (and disclaims responsibility)

Crazy discount motorcycle tire website that has them all:

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/motorcycle_tires.htm

In general, stock tire sizes work best with stock suspension.

In general, a lower profile can be used if the width is increased one notch.

In general, a lower profile will decrease the vehicle load rating.

That's the reason for going one extra width; to get back to the original load rating.

Guessing that 110/80-17 can be replaced with 120/70-17, usually. (I wouldn't change front profile more than one notch.)

Guessing that 140/80-17 can be replaced with 150/70-17 or 160/60-17 or 170/55-17, usually. There are definite limits on width.

I like to look up DOT tire design specifications before making decisions.

To the limits of the rim width design recommendations of tire widths allowed to be mounted.

Do not put a tire on a rim that is too wide (or narrow) for the rim.

Will the handling change? Of course it will.

Will it be ok? 50-50% chance of happiness.

Will the new tire clear the swingarm, chain, fender, etc? Maybe, maybe not.

Should both tires change profile or width at the same time? Generally, yes.

Would I do that? No, I've tried all sorts of tire changes, and I prefer stock sizes. Not that some changes weren't fun to try. It's just a lot different from stock handling.

Ah, Tom, I knew you'd jump in eventually. You have certainly reinforced what I wasn't sure of. Thank you for the information.

Based upon your knowledge paired with my incredibly short span of knowledge, I think I'll likely stick with stock size and try out the Avon Azaro. I think radial is definitely a better choice over the bias ply. I've never ran Avon's or even thought much of them, but you listing them gives me confidence that it's a decent tire to try out.

Thanks for your post.

It will be interesting to see how the change to the radial handles. I don't think the design is a radical change, it should be a compatible tire for the bike. The Brits love Avons, and use them on everything. In case you're wondering, I'm a life long Dunlop fan. Yes, they wear out fast.

edit: btw, the newer bias ply tires are more advanced, and a lot different from old style bias ply tires.

more edit: The BT45 is one of the dual compound rear tires. Both the Bridgestone and Dunlop have the larger footprint on cornering design. The Avon is probably a high mileage tire.

Edited by ReconRat
stuff

Finally, I don't care to read the unintelligent "get a pilot power, they are teh winnar" I'm looking for knowledge...

Now thats funny right there!

Dude you need pilot power 2ct man. Those tires make anyone fast. I bet Im faster than you, haha :)

Like I said never ran the Azaro's but remember reading tons of reviews on them and don't remember anything particularly bad about them, just that the Metzeler Z6's seemed to have a better rep on VFR's so I tried those....now have some road attacks. They probably are a high mileage tire, guess it depends on what you plan on doing with the bike? I'm sure they still stick better than what was originally on it!