07 vstar650 sputtering

SRTurbo04

ok so my 07 vstar650 that i picked up last march brand new has 7600 miles on it now . done all the normal maintece for a New bike well today on the high way going 65 it just starts sputtering an couldnt get the bike to go over 60 so luckly the exit for work was there any ways. well the bike idels liek crap an sputters REALLY BAD you have to feather the clutch to get it to even go. it feels like a cylinder is nto firing but both seem to be. wires look ok no cuts or holes in them. oil is full an yes it has gas in it. if you pull the choke on itll idel a little bettter but wont stop the sputtering when trying to go.

any one have any ideas? possible things to check out before i turf if off to get looked at? im clueless here.

bike is 100% STOCK no abuse it is daily riden 24 miles round trip. 4 miles city no traffic there 6 miles highway, coming home 6 miles freeway an 4 miles stock an go ish traffic

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/technical/diagnosis.htm

take a peek.

24 miles round trip daily really isn't that short of a trip, considering the temperature outside as of late it should have been plenty for the engine to get to normal operating temperature and be there for some time. I agree tho, I would pull the plugs and check them, fire it up at night and check the wires for a fireworks show. two simple quick checks.

Edited by DudeAbides

• 2 weeks later...

the 650's are prone to getting the carb gummed up. Even if they sit for a couple weeks. I just bought the wife a 2002 650 with only 1200 miles(less than 200 miles a year) and it idled fine but stuttered bad 1/4 throttle on. Best fix is to get some Sea Foam at like an autozone, add about 2 oz per gallon and ride it hard on and off for a tank or two. It took two tanks for the wife's and now it runs like a pro. Do a search on the 650 and you'll find its a common problem, just like the stupid clutch on it, it grabs at the extreme end, working on fixing that myself.

Mike