informal diamond ring appraisal

natedogg624

first off this is NOT a for sale thread just an informal appraisal.

selling a ring. to be honest i dont really know where to start or what its worth other than i bought it for 250 last year.

i also don't really remember the specs either, however i do know that it is real.

anyways here are some pics, let me know what you think and what you would offer so i can get a better idea of what to expect when i sell it.

DSCN1548.jpg

DSCN1549.jpg

DSCN1550.jpg

DSCN1551.jpg

DSCN1553.jpg

DSCN1555.jpg

DSCN1558.jpg

i would take it back to zales to get it appraised but they charge ~100 for the appraisal alone. doesn't seem to logical to pay 100 dollars for an appraisal if i might get at most 200 out of it.

anyways, if you saw this for sale from a private seller what would you expect to see for the price?

Just as an FYI, you can get a ring appraised for essentially any dollar amount within reason, I've seen the same ring range from 2k to 4k, the higher end the more range.

It's hard to do an appraisal over the web, have to check the diamond color, inclusions, weight or defects, if you can figure this stuff out then would make it easier.

You should be able to get an appraisal for free! Call around at other jewelry stores. Tell them you want an appraisal for insurance purposes.

Alternatively you can take it to a jeweler and tell them you were thinking of upgrading what would they give you as a trade-in etc.

The first method will probably yield a more accurate answer as to worth. The second answer you could probably multiply by 2-3 times to get worth.

If you paid $250 the jeweler paid less than a $100...so theya re not going to want to give you much that's why I said muliply by 2-3 times.

Lots of factors to be considered ... but this is a generic answer.

Just as an FYI, you can get a ring appraised for essentially any dollar amount within reason, I've seen the same ring range from 2k to 4k, the higher end the more range.

It's hard to do an appraisal over the web, have to check the diamond color, inclusions, weight or defects, if you can figure this stuff out then would make it easier.

Yep....

any ideas as to where to look around the dayton area for appraisers? if i google it ill have to sift through pages of "sell your gold and unwanted jewelry online!" crap...

Go to beavercreek jewelers in the shopping center near "ele" and across from marions on dayton xenia and north fairfield. It's a lil' mom and pop shop and they are super friendly! They gave me a free quote on my wife's ring for our insurance policy, plus if you ever need any jewelry work done they're honest and dirt cheap and do amazing work.