Shuts down at 3/4 throttle and above

ShawnR

1990 ZX10

First ride was this evening. Starts & runs pretty well, but when I get it around 3/4 throttle, it just bogs out and starts coasting. Let back off of the throttle and once you go below the 3/4 mark, it immediately kicks in and takes off again. It isn't gradual like a fuel starvation thing, but an instant sputter-sputter, blah..... once you pass the magic mark.

I has updated 41mm carbs with NO air filters , just blue velocity stacks. It also is supposed to have a timing advancer.

Thoughts, suggestions? (Useful ones only please!)

My guess would be fuel because it would start backfiring if it was timing and it could be that the float bowls are running dry. once they get close the bike would sputter and then shut off until the bowls filled up. i had a pocket bike that was doing the same thing and it was the fuel shut off valve. could be a clogged fuel filter or a clogged line or petcock on yours. The floats could be set too low causing it to run out of gas at heavy throttle.

I pulled the petcock & cleaned off the screen, replaced all of the fuel lines and filter and was getting about 3psi between the fuel pump and the carb inlet. Pressure never dropped below 2.

If you snap the throttle more than half way open suddenly, it bogs out & dies unless you let off. So, assuming that it is starving for fuel, why and what can I do about it?

It has Keihin racing carbs on it & I am only ever used to working on Mikiunis. I will have to do some reading on how to check the float levels.