Rode a GZ250 for the first time

wrillo

A buddy of mine just got his first bike, a GZ250. He was going to go Ninja250, but insurance was F'ed up at over $1000/year. I think insurance prices have sky rocketed with them getting popular AND being a beginner bike that gets dropped left, right, and down. A GZ:

picture.php?albumid=303&pictureid=5422

I'm posting this screen shot of the GZ, well because I think someone made a typo...

So break-in for this guy says to not take it above half throttle for the first 500 miles, and then not above 3/4 throttle until 1000 miles. Compared to sport bikes that seem rather un-scientific... is break-in not as significant on these little guys?

Anyhow, I rode it home for him and even keeping it at "half throttle" through the gears it was a lot more fun than I expect. Definitely a different riding experience and a lot more forgiving than any sportbike I've been on. I felt super low to the ground, and maybe it'll get better when full throttle is available but I felt like i was going to be run down. I doubt I'll have a true cruiser, but I could see myself on a more standard motorcycle in the future. It would be nice to have a more relaxed bike to ride every once in a while

Weather permitting we're doing his third riding lesson today, so wish us (him) luck!

i have two standards and they are a blast. sure they are not as fast, but they feel zippy and fun.

$.02 the sv feels like overkill in a 35mph driving, a touch heavy and when its stop and go it never gets to go fast. The cb350 is full wot all the time and it never struggles to get to 35 but you have to shift gears to get there.

i have two standards and they are a blast. sure they are not as fast, but they feel zippy and fun.

$.02 the sv feels like overkill in a 35mph driving, a touch heavy and when its stop and go it never gets to go fast. The cb350 is full wot all the time and it never struggles to get to 35 but you have to shift gears to get there.

lol, at MSF I was on a little enduro and I had to shift to get above 5.... I was in 3rd gear to go 20, was really funny.

In terms of break in, 1k miles is about right for cruisers, what is the break-in for Sports?

I just thought it was odd that they left it so open to interpretation - "half throttle". My owners manual said keep it under 4500 rpm. I know they can't do that because it doesn't have a tach, but I would have thought they would have been a little more specific or have a more accurate method devised :dunno:

1000 a year on a ninja 250? are you shitting me? does he have like 47 DUIs or something?

yeah, its some BS. He is 21, has a clean record as far as I know. I don't think he even has a single speeding ticket. He is paying 370, 380/year or somethin in that range for the GZ

I just thought it was odd that they left it so open to interpretation - "half throttle". My owners manual said keep it under 4500 rpm. I know they can't do that because it doesn't have a tach, but I would have thought they would have been a little more specific or have a more accurate method devised :dunno:

yeah, its some BS. He is 21, has a clean record as far as I know. I don't think he even has a single speeding ticket. He is paying 370, 380/year or somethin in that range for the GZ

Well, on my bike the sticker on the showroom would say what was max speed for each gear was during the break-in period, so maybe this is a new interpretation :)

Well, on my bike the sticker on the showroom would say what was max speed for each gear was during the break-in period, so maybe this is a new interpretation :)

no such thing was in the owner's manual

1000 a year on a ninja 250? are you shitting me? does he have like 47 DUIs or something?

when i got my first bike (gs500F) I quoted a new bike vs a two year old bike and hte cost difference was rediculous. ~380 a year for new vs <100 for 2 year old bike.

was he only quoting a new one?

yes

the GZ doesn't have a tach either

My wife's TU250X is the counterpart to the GZ250, it has the exact same info in the manaul per the breakin.... 1/2 throttle then 3/4 throttle.

It to does not have a tach. I think 1000 miles is abit much for a breakin, I plan on opening the thing up to see what it will do once it gets past 500miles.

500 miles was the break in on my sportbike.

A buddy of mine just got his first bike, a GZ250. He was going to go Ninja250, but insurance was F'ed up at over $1000/year. I think insurance prices have sky rocketed with them getting popular AND being a beginner bike that gets dropped left, right, and down. A GZ:

picture.php?albumid=303&pictureid=5422

I'm posting this screen shot of the GZ, well because I think someone made a typo...

So break-in for this guy says to not take it above half throttle for the first 500 miles, and then not above 3/4 throttle until 1000 miles. Compared to sport bikes that seem rather un-scientific... is break-in not as significant on these little guys?

Anyhow, I rode it home for him and even keeping it at "half throttle" through the gears it was a lot more fun than I expect. Definitely a different riding experience and a lot more forgiving than any sportbike I've been on. I felt super low to the ground, and maybe it'll get better when full throttle is available but I felt like i was going to be run down. I doubt I'll have a true cruiser, but I could see myself on a more standard motorcycle in the future. It would be nice to have a more relaxed bike to ride every once in a while

Weather permitting we're doing his third riding lesson today, so wish us (him) luck!

Standards are ftw. :D