Mirror Repair

wrillo

So a while back my bike got pushed over outside a bar, and it did a little bit of damage. Thankfully the bike didn't fall all the way over, because the mirror and exhaust caught a fence. I've not cared about the damage because it was so minor, but with a certain *someone* recently dropping my bike I decided the Zizzer was due for some much needed love.

Before: I started sanding before I remembered to take a before picture, so ignore that. You can see that some of the scratches are pretty deep.

picture.php?albumid=542&pictureid=5527

400 Grit: I started with 400 grit wet paper. Here you want to get all the deep scratches out and make everything look uniform.

picture.php?albumid=542&pictureid=5524

800 & 1500 Grit: I didn't get a picture of the 800 grit results, but here is after 1500

picture.php?albumid=542&pictureid=5525

Polishing Compound & Wax: You can see the 1500 grit paper left a dull look, so use a polishing compound to clean it up a bit. If you're doing this by hand, remember friction is your friend. You want to put enough muscle into this to create a good bit of heat to polish it up. Then use wax to get an even glossier look along with protection for the surface.

picture.php?albumid=542&pictureid=5528

picture.php?albumid=542&pictureid=5529

Well done, looks new from what I can tell from the pix.

oh and on a side note, since you're talking about mirrors and i did this earlier, use chrome polish to get rid of water spots on the mirror. Works great on cage windows too, although sometimes more than one application is needed.wax on wax off

Edited by chevysoldier

nice work! now when can I ride it?

As soon as you find a way to sign your life away, cuz I'll need it if you drop my bike. If the previously mentioned person wasn't a really good friend I woulda killed em

Well done, looks new from what I can tell from the pix.

oh and on a side note, since you're talking about mirrors and i did this earlier, use chrome polish to get rid of water spots on the mirror. Works great on cage windows too, although sometimes more than one application is needed.wax on wax off

Pictures aren't the best, I was losing daylight and the camera sucks. I'll try the chrome polish, I've always just waxed them

As soon as you find a way to sign your life away, cuz I'll need it if you drop my bike. If the previously mentioned person wasn't a really good friend I woulda killed em

Pictures aren't the best, I was losing daylight and the camera sucks. I'll try the chrome polish, I've always just waxed them

i meanto use it on the reflective part of the mirror, not the housing....

Looks great, I might try that soon considering how both of my mirrors are scuffed up thanks to my own dumb self and some freshmen vandals :\

What kind of wax did you use, just normal car wax? I've got some Meguiar's Gold Class wax, would that work? Or are we talking paraffin or something.

Alright...so tell us, for the people who don't know...who dropped your bike...? :D

the guy I live with, but he is a little less active on the board

i meanto use it on the reflective part of the mirror, not the housing....

yeah, I got that... still yet to try it

Looks great, I might try that soon considering how both of my mirrors are scuffed up thanks to my own dumb self and some freshmen vandals :\

What kind of wax did you use, just normal car wax? I've got some Meguiar's Gold Class wax, would that work? Or are we talking paraffin or something.

the wax will be okay, but you'll need a polishing compound.