Stripped fairing bolts :(

wrillo

So I'm a tard and I've stripped a fairing bolt on both sides of my bike. :o I can take a dremel to one of them and add a screw driver slot. However the other is recessed into the fairing an inch or so, and so that obviously won't work. Anyone else run into this?

BTW whats up with these bolts? I'm using the correct size allen, yet this still happened. I've taken the fairings off a few times now, but wtf, they want me to replace the bolts every other time I take the fairings off? I was going to get a ratchet driven allen to see if that helps keep them from rounding out.

As lame as it is, this is why I missed the Coshocton ride. I need to change my oil and I wasn't gonna ride all that way without doing it. So my apologies to the Coshocton crew and RSVdon. Riding to columbus isn't a lot of fun, especially by yourself, sorry :(

So I'm a tard and I've stripped a fairing bolt on both sides of my bike. :o I can take a dremel to one of them and add a screw driver slot. However the other is recessed into the fairing an inch or so, and so that obviously won't work. Anyone else run into this?

BTW whats up with these bolts? I'm using the correct size allen, yet this still happened. I've taken the fairings off a few times now, but wtf, they want me to replace the bolts every other time I take the fairings off? I was going to get a ratchet driven allen to see if that helps keep them from rounding out.

As lame as it is, this is why I missed the Coshocton ride. I need to change my oil and I wasn't gonna ride all that way without doing it. So my apologies to the Coshocton crew and RSVdon. Riding to columbus isn't a lot of fun, especially by yourself, sorry :(

Hey dude off course I did...those bolts are crap...I got some from ronayers...see also bikebandit for OEM replacement or bikebolts.com for aftermarket....goodluck...

Hey dude off course I did...those bolts are crap...I got some from ronayers...see also bikebandit for OEM replacement or bikebolts.com for aftermarket....goodluck...

okay, thats makes me feel better :cheers:

I've been coming across little things on this bike that are cheaply made (like this) I think I'll just head to the hardware store for replacements. I was thinking non-painted ones might break up the black a little bit... bike needs some color!

Don't worry about bailing on me man, shit happens.

Yeah, riding to Columbus sucked, but it definitely sucked coming back home. I had to superslab it on I-70 both ways so it sucked. I got out of the house later than I wanted to that morning and I had to take the same route back home because I didn't get back until the sun went down around 8:45. Helluva trip, consider yourself lucky, lol.

Hope you didn't use a "ball" type allen wrench. Those are for really low torque applicatiosn and are famous for rounding off when you crank on them. Ditto for old, rounded wrenches.

did the same shit to mine, used a set of needle nose pliers to get the bolt out. those bolts only require like 3 inch lbs of torque or they strip, i wish my ladies stripped that easily

it probably was my fault, I bet I over tightened them after I lost one. I got worried when I noticed one was gone, so I snugged them all down pretty well