Downloading Power Commander Maps

wrillo

First off, I don't even have a fuel injected bike. However I hear a lot about people sharing PC fuel maps via the internet, and people tell me they got a "custom" map on their bike. I've always laughed my arse off when someone tells me their "custom" map is from some guy they know on the internet in Arizona, etc.

First, the word custom implies that its an original creation dedicated to your specific bike. Second, (I'm asking) isn't there enough differences between bikes of the same make and model that they would have slightly different fuel requirements? Finally, the atmospheric conditions are going to be completely different across the states, so maps from people at sea level and the top of a mountain are going to be different.

With all the random garbage on the web and the fact that computer viruses exist, what makes everyone so confident that someone isn't going to sabotage them?

My thought for the day, anyone else?

edit: this is aimed primarily at those people that download maps and blindly run them because they don't have equipment (WBO2) to test the map

First, the word custom implies that its an original creation dedicated to your specific bike. Second, (I'm asking) isn't there enough differences between bikes of the same make and model that they would have slightly different fuel requirements? Finally, the atmospheric conditions are going to be completely different across the states, so maps from people at sea level and the top of a mountain are going to be different.

Even on your own bike atmospheric conditions will render your custom map less than perfect or ideal depending on temp, humidity, and what you had for lunch.

Hey, what about the commanders with "Auto-tune"?

How's that do?

There's quite a few folks on my VROD forum that are running and have been running the PCV w/auto tune and love it. I personally went with an auto tune ThunderMax which replaces the stock ECM (computer) altogether, whereas the PCV is a piggyback device.

Alot of ECU replacements, like HRC, are intended for race use and eliminate functionality required for street like your radiator fan.

Personally, I wouldn't ever run a downloaded map for all the reasons listed above. Your bike is different than every other bike, you need a different map than anyone else.

Hey, what about the commanders with "Auto-tune"?

How's that do?

It works for a set optimum range of parameters, but they are very slow to get there. If it trys to tune itself in the morning youll have to redo the procedure later in the day when it warms up.

HRC ECUs are made for the parts sold by HRC like their top end kits. Youll buy the cam kit then an HRC ECU to raise the rev limit and adjust fuel for the parts ( even though its very general)

Nice I just ordered my PCIII fed-ex tracking info says it will be here wed :D

so I will have to get ahold of this Brain soon.

Yes' date=' every bike is different. I don't care what make or model or year.. they are all different. Take two identical ZZRs that rolled off the line back to back and they will put down different numbers. That is why I'm not a fan of 'proprietary' maps for bikes. It will get the fueling close if you've just slapped on a pipe and air cleaner but to really get the most out of the engine a custom map should be built. I don't understand why someone would go through the trouble of buying a PCIII and installing it just to drop any old map in the box.

Side note: DTM Brian has the cheapest custom map rates I've ever heard of. When I get time I'll bring Gemma to him and have him build a new map for the old girl.[/quote']

Even on your own bike atmospheric conditions will render your custom map less than perfect or ideal depending on temp, humidity, and what you had for lunch.

Yes and no. The bike has barometric pressure sensors, intake air sensors, manifold air pressure sensors, etc. The custom map will basically command a set fueling, spark, and VE curve. Then the computer will evaluate the conditions the motor is in and adjust the fueling, spark, etc to get as close to those commanded curves as possible without going outside of its safety parameters. So while the bike may not be in a perfect condition, the computer will adjust to get it as close to that simulated perfect condition as possible.

At least this is how I understand it, but i'm also still learning.

Moral of the story is, don't be a cheap ass. Get your bike tuned correctly.

Yes and no. The bike has barometric pressure sensors, intake air sensors, manifold air pressure sensors, etc. The custom map will basically command a set fueling, spark, and VE curve. Then the computer will evaluate the conditions the motor is in and adjust the fueling, spark, etc to get as close to those commanded curves as possible without going outside of its safety parameters. So while the bike may not be in a perfect condition, the computer will adjust to get it as close to that simulated perfect condition as possible.

At least this is how I understand it, but i'm also still learning.

Moral of the story is, don't be a cheap ass. Get your bike tuned correctly.

Not on the PC3's, they are a piggy back system that adds percentages to the factory ECU. For the most part they hack the signal and add or subtract pulses to the ECU.

Ok nevermind, I was thinking the PCIII acted something like a typical car ECU.

No, unfortunantly its just a piggy back system and its not commanding any certain A/F. Its all percentage based off of the ECUs commands and it can change but its not replacing the ECU.... it just hacks the signal.