Missing gears!!! Plz Help

cclay

:confused:Hey guys, just bought my first bike and it needs some work. 88 suz kat 600.

yep its old and i paid pennies for it but didnt wanna invest on something i might lay down a few times...

When im in first or second gear i dont get any push. no matter how i let off the clutch or how much gas i give it. Once im in 3rd i can go but have to give gas before i let off clutch or it stalls. It rides as is in 3rd gear but is very wreckless on my part to ride like that. Rather not pay as much as i bought it for just to fix it. so if anyone has suggestions or ideas i greatly appreciate it.

I bought the clymers manual with intentions on fixing it myself. but its def a bit beyond my comfort level.

Tranny issues with those motors are typical, usually comes from banging 1 to 2 gear shifts repeatedly. Id check the detent spring first, then shift forks and last the gear dogs themselves, if there are big chncks of metal on your oil plug or in the pan its a good bet the tranny is toast. Could be in a false neutral... make sure the thing is actually shifting into 1st or 2nd gear position. No neutral light should be showing. Could need a new clutch but it would slip through all gears not just 1 and 2. Now worse case you'd have to pull the motor, split the cases and swap out the tranny itself. Not something a novice should try Id say. But if you're brave go for it. If it's hosed and you want to sell the rolling chasis let me know, I may be interested. PM me...

Edited by Exit Wounds

thanks for the reply man.

all of that info sounds bad to me. funny thing is the 1st and 2nd gear are sometimey. like when i first start it and its in 1st, then it will push a lil. after it warms up, nothing. also when i shift up to 2nd or 3rd it stutters. like something is slipping but i wouldnt know if its what your referring to in your post. havent seen any flakes in oil, so i dont think its toast. as it is i never shift outta 3rd so i dont think im making more damage. would you be able to take a look at it? not askin to tear it down but i'd be willing to come to you for a little more specific diagnosis.

appreciate your time

what kind of oil does it call for? could be something as simple as the wrong oil.. Im unfamiliar with your bike, but my bike has a wet-type clutch. basically it shares the engine oil, and the disc is submerged. if i were to use regular car oil w/ fricition modifiers, the clutch would slip like crazy.