This weeks movie is...

Mr Anderson

Its that time again. This weeks movie is Saving Private Ryan.

Saving Private Ryan is a 1998 American war film set during the invasion of Normandy in World War II. It was directed by Steven Spielberg and written by Robert Rodat. The film is notable for the intensity of its opening 24 minutes, which depict the Omaha beachhead assault of June 6, 1944. Afterward, it follows Tom Hanks as Captain John H. Miller and several men (Tom Sizemore, Edward Burns, Barry Pepper, Vin Diesel, Giovanni Ribisi, Adam Goldberg and Jeremy Davies) as they search for a paratrooper (Matt Damon), who is the last surviving brother of three fallen servicemen.

Rodat first came up with the film's story in 1994 when he saw a monument dedicated to eight brothers who died during the American Civil War. Inspired by the story, Rodat decided to write a similar story set during World War II. The script was submitted to producer Mark Gordon, who then handed it to Hanks. It was finally given to Spielberg, who had previously demonstrated his interest in WWII themes with films such as Schindler's List, and decided to direct Saving Private Ryan after reading the film's script. The film's premise is very loosely based on the real-life case of the Niland brothers.

Saving Private Ryan was well received by audiences and garnered considerable critical acclaim, winning several awards for film, cast, and crew as well as earning significant returns at the box office. The film grossed US$480 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing film of the year. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences nominated the film for eleven Academy Awards; Spielberg's direction won him his second Academy Award for Best Director. Saving Private Ryan was released on home video in May 1999, earning $44 million from sales. From wiki

I thought it was great movie and I like watching World War II movies. Who else likes this movie?

I liked it. Though it came in 2nd place to We Were Soliders in the war movie category.
Never seen it, but Full Metal Jacket still tops my list.

Both were great movies. I think I liked We Were Soldiers better than this...and FMJ is always near the top of the heap.

The beach footage on SPR is pretty damn good. I think if anything, it's got that over FMJ. Crack that surround sound up!

Speaking of which...I haven't watched FMJ in a LONG time...need to find a good copy of that.

That is a life changing movie. For those of us that have never actually had to encounter a battle. It gave us a totally different perspective on things. Definitely made me have a different outlook on veterans, and how they are treated. Also, made me think about war effects innocent people. What would we all do if that happened here???

What would we all do if that happened here???

i think most Americans are completely numb to even thinking about how they would react. We've never had foreign troops (in recent history) fighting a war on our soil. As long as Mickey D's is open and the ATM is dishing out cash, most Americans couldn't care less.

i think most Americans are completely numb to even thinking about how they would react. We've never had foreign troops (in recent history) fighting a war on our soil. As long as Mickey D's is open and the ATM is dishing out cash, most Americans couldn't care less.

couldnt agree with you more!!!!

I don't think you'd really want to find out how people would act if they had REAL problems like facing death/dismemberment in a livefire battlefield situation each day. Some people have enough trouble with simple tasks day-to-day, let alone in a survival situation.

Justin..the invasion scene in the beginning is worth it. TRUST ME. Watch it. Now.

I agree. It is a must see movie and I also loved We Were Soldiers. But this is a World War II movie and We Were Soldiers is a Vietnam movie. This was my fav World War II movie and that was a good Vietnam movie. FMJ is awesome as well.

Platoon is a good movie also. What about a Thin Red Line, Black Hawk Down, Three Kings, Glory, And Full Metal Jacket? This list could go on, and on!! There are several honorable mentions.

I agree. It is a must see movie and I also loved We Were Soldiers. But this is a World War II movie and We Were Soldiers is a Vietnam movie. This was my fav World War II movie and that was a good Vietnam movie. FMJ is awesome as well.

War is War. You shoot people..you dodge bullets, and you fuck hookers.

:)