Chambered or Unchambered - Opinions Please

Likwid

Okay, I'll ask since I know others have to be thinking it. What is the point of carrying if it's not going to be chambered and ready for duty? If you think you're going to shoot yourself, then you probably should be carrying at all. If you have kids in the house, buy a cheap 3 or 4 button lock box and keep chambered it in there. Memorize the combination so you could do it in complete darkness.

Mine is chambered at all times no questions asked. Bad guy rolls up and says 'Give me all your money now!' I just draw and give him two choices, walk or die. There will be no, 'Could you just wait one second Mr. Scum. I need to chamber my gun so I can use it to defend myself.' If you have to pull the slide to make it ready it's too late for action.

Edit: Damn you Flat Fish.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have to pull the slide to make it ready it's too late for action.

seriously?

admittedly, I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the subject of firearms...but does it honestly take you THAT long to pull the slide as you're drawing your weapon? :confused:

I'd say chambered. At home with kids, unloaded and locked somewhere, bullets seperate.i live in the sticks with dogs. But I think i'll feel slightly nervous for a while and that it's a 1918 Remington model 51 .32 cal.

I keep forgetting to pickup my license at the sheriff's office.

Okay, I'll ask since I know others have to be thinking it. What is the point of carrying if it's not going to be chambered and ready for duty? If you think you're going to shoot yourself, then you probably should be carrying at all. If you have kids in the house, buy a cheap 3 or 4 button lock box and keep chambered it in there. Memorize the combination so you could do it in complete darkness.

Mine is chambered at all times no questions asked. Bad guy rolls up and says 'Give me all your money now!' I just draw and give him two choices, walk or die. There will be no, 'Could you just wait one second Mr. Scum. I need to chamber my gun so I can use it to defend myself.' If you have to pull the slide to make it ready it's too late for action.

:plus1:

seriously?

admittedly, I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the subject of firearms...but does it honestly take you THAT long to pull the slide as you're drawing your weapon? :confused:

I can't believe you'd even ask a question like this. I will answer it anyway. No, it doesn't. But it is the difference between you getting stabbed or shot by the perp. Let me run it down for you again. You are having to use BOTH OF YOUR HANDS to work your weapon. During a confrontation you might need your off hand to defend yourself while you DRAW.

I want to see you draw AND work the slide in this situation.

Don't take my word for it, try it yourself.

I can't believe you'd even ask a question like this. I will answer it anyway. No, it doesn't. But it is the difference between you getting stabbed or shot by the perp. Let me run it down for you again. You are having to use BOTH OF YOUR HANDS to work your weapon. During a confrontation you might need your off hand to defend yourself while you DRAW.

I've drilled for this over the years.

IF you are in a situation where you have both hands to use.

Then it is possible WITH ALOT OF PRACTICE. for this to be effective.

But that's alot of IF's

Like I said, I carry chambered

Our CCW instructor suggested trying to do anything while someone timed you, it's tiny compared to someone coming at you, but still.

I would love to try some of the exercises he recalled though, guy with a rubber stick coming at you, draw, (chamber), aim and fire before they hit you with the stick.

I have kids, so my gear is unchambered in the house. Besides, for home protection, IMHO a shotgun is better. Hell, just shuck the pump and everyone in the house, invited or not, has your undivided attention. And the uninvited ones usually leave with aquickness.

That's a lovely sound, isn't it? Sometimes I rack my shotty at night to put myself to sleep.

I've drilled for this over the years.

IF you are in a situation where you have both hands to use.

Then it is possible WITH ALOT OF PRACTICE. for this to be effective.

But that's alot of IF's

Like I said, I carry chambered

I know it can be done, and you understand my point. Take the 'IF's' out of the equation and keep it ready for duty.

I'm with ya on this Luna.

if the perp has a weapon drawn on you already, he's going to have the opportunity to shoot you before you draw, chambered or not...I'd concede a knife scenario in SOME situations...

it would be illegal for you to carry a weapon in a car without it being in a holster on your person.

ORC

(E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle unless one of the following applies:

(a) The loaded handgun is in a holster on the person’s person.

. . . . . . . . . . . . -- OR -- . . . (emphasis added)

(b) The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun.

© The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartment or vehicle console or in a case that is locked.

also carrying in a pocket without a holster increases the chance of a negligent discharge as the trigger is not covered.

Edited by curby

Trying to rack your piece when under stress and already having it chambered are too different animals. When it comes to your safety, I'd prefer to take the IF's out of the equation and be ready to roll. If you're worried about shooting yourself, like R1 said, you shouldn't be carrying.

Go buy some dummy rounds and practice drawing if you're concerned.

it would be illegal for you to carry a weapon in a car without it being in a holster on your person.

ORC

(E) No person who has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun under section 2923.125 or 2923.1213 of the Revised Code shall do any of the following:

(1) Knowingly transport or have a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle unless one of the following applies:

(a) The loaded handgun is in a holster on the person’s person.

(b) The loaded handgun is in a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which lid, cover, or closing mechanism must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun.

© The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartment or vehicle console or in a case that is locked.

I've read some discussions about what is considered a "holster", a few things I've read argue that a pocket meets the definition of holster.