Chambered or Unchambered - Opinions Please

Likwid

If you put some dummy rounds in, I'd be more than willing to come over and rape your wife...or any legal daughters you may have running around. Does that help?

Just let me know what time you'll be home so I can finish up by then.

roflmao, yah, let me get right on that

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you put some dummy rounds in, I'd be more than willing to come over and rape your wife...or any legal daughters you may have running around. Does that help?

Just let me know what time you'll be home so I can finish up by then.

Possitive rep for that... just don't come to my house, my wife may shoot you as well. :D

Noone can really simulate a live exercise with the same "experience" as a combat situation... if there is a way I'd be interested.

walk the ghetto at 3 a.m. anything happens tell em its a training excercise. lol

I know full well that it is a totally different monster. I've been through simunition, live fire, combat, and urban situations where the time to react does not exist and how you are prepared before weighs in on the decision of the outcome. My only reason for stating what I did was that when you practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, eventually it's so hard wired you don't think about it.

Again, I say I carry ready to act.

If you have kids in the house take precautions to keep them safe. Teach them the dangers of firearms without scaring the crap out of them (unless you need to)

While going through EMT-B clinicals had the following:

Call to a home. Report of fatal shooting. Man kept loaded firearm under his pillow. In the course of the night he ended up letting off a round. Due to the position under the pillow, it hit his wife in the head, killing her instantly.

Man woke up and seeing what he had just done turned the gun on himself.

7 year old son asleep in next room. Had been told by dad. "If you ever hear my gun shoot and you don't know what's going on, get under your bed and wait for me or mommy.

He did just that and about 10 minutes later tried to get in parents room. Boy could not open door so he wisely went and called 911.

I will not go into gory detail but it was THE single worst sight I have EVER seen in my life.

So I simply say this. Carry how you are comfortable. But always remember, the best safety is your trigger finger. Followed a close second by common sense.

Chambered obviously. Why carry unchambered? An empty gun is about as useful as a rock. Its only good for throwing at someone

I like to stick them in hookers mouths as I surf the hershey highway. Not as fun as having one in the chamber, but eliminates a lot of the messy cleanup.

I only bothered to read 6 of the 12 pages of this thread so I dont know if anyone said this or not... but my finger OFF the trigger is my safety. I keep my gun chambered, and neither my glock or my ruger have manual safeties. I had to go to the west side of dtown today, not only was my gun chambered, I had some nice DPX hollowpoint rounds in it, and the extended magazine. There's no winners and losers in a gun fight, only survivors.

I keep mine on me most of the time. Ya never know when some guy won't park his harley in a space and when he gets it run into by a hooters chick goes off on her and needs re-education. Too bad I didn't have it last night. God that guy was a prick. Needed drawn down on just so he'd shit himself.

DA or SA? SA cocked?

DAO. hammerless. two of them. one in each front jacket pocket. dont even have to draw then, just shoot through the jacket. threats dont even know they are being targeted until its too late :p

:rulez:

DA or SA? SA cocked?

Wow guess that is the difference between a $75 class and a more expensive one!! our instructor told us MANY times you never carry a s/a cocked unless you want to shoot your self or have a negligent discharge. I don't carry yet but when my license comes back in I plan to carry loaded. when in the house it is on my body at all times, or unloaded in the safe locked up. IP you disappoint me, why no talk of fine motor skills needed to chamber a weapon? And how when in a high stress situation you revert back to primary motor skills?

:rulez:

Wow guess that is the difference between a $75 class and a more expensive one!! our instructor told us MANY times you never carry a s/a cocked unless you want to shoot your self or have a negligent discharge.

That's why I was asking ;) Seems like SA uncocked is about the same as semi auto unchambered. Except using your thumb in a high stress environment us harder than racking a semi auto... according to our instructor, I would have no idea.

I want to see you draw AND work the slide in this situation.

rack the slide by catching the rear sight on your belt is about the best ive seen... not the most ideal scenario especially if you are fighting someone with the other hand but it IS possible.

honestly its probably not a bad idea to practice that kind of stuff. you never know when you may need it. most ppl cant predict their emergencies. same with shooting with the other hand, or different grips, stances etc etc.

Chambering a round requires a gross motor skill.. not a fine skill. Also' date=' carrying a SA 1911 in condition one is the safest way to carry the weapon. (unless you don't have it chambered.. which isn't too safe in my opinion) You're instructor has his head up his ass. I'd ask for a refund. :rolleyes:[/quote']

That was my point.

But I think at some point someone got SingleAction and SemiAutomatic mixed up.

I was saying, Single Action uncocked (obviously the safest) is similar to Semi Automatic unchambered, with the exception as you mention, gross motor skill of racking the slide versus the fine motor skill of cocking the hammer on a SA

Why is a SA safest when it is uncocked? It is safest when the safety is engaged. If the safety is not engaged and you bump the hammer you can cause a negligent discharge. How is that possibly safer than having the hammer back and locked into position?

I guess I made a lot of assumptions' date=' like antibump and all that, I wasn't really thinking about a manual safety.

You are aware that they make semi-automatic pistols that are SA only, right?

Yes, but I thought almost all were DA/SA

DAMNIT! I wanted to give him his star!

So, the conversation about chambered and unchambered came up with the wife last night. She wouldn't let me pocket carry because I don't have a manual safety on my XD... I explained the auto safeties like trigger, backstrap and internal but she just was scared.

I have NEVER planned on carrying chambered, nor do I leave it chambered at home... but I like hearing everyone's opinions and habits.

NEVER pocket carry without something covering the trigger guard. They make pocket holsters.