Chambered or Unchambered - Opinions Please

Likwid

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading some stuff on pocket holsters now. Other than breaking up the outline of the gun and keeping it from shifting.

What reasons? Are those it?

Get a pocket holster, at a minimum. Curby covered the legalities of carrying WITHOUT a holster in a car. I also submit that why would you want an unsecured weapon flopping around in your pocket? What happens why you sit down in a chair and said weapon falls out? You always want that piece SECURE..no matter where you carry.

I've read some discussions about what is considered a "holster", a few things I've read argue that a pocket meets the definition of holster.

You probably shouldn't be carrying concealed...don't take this the wrong way.

If you get stopped, and a cop finds out you've got it in your pocket, you're going to jail.

I know it can be done, and you understand my point. Take the 'IF's' out of the equation and keep it ready for duty.

I'm with ya on this Luna.

I'm not saying you shouldn't...

I'm just saying the arguments about it taking too long are not necessarily valid in most situations.

that is all...please continue to carry your weapons as you see fit.

(just don't shoot me)

Edited by magley64

You probably shouldn't be carrying concealed...don't take this the wrong way.

If you get stopped, and a cop finds out you've got it in your pocket, you're going to jail.

I'm not :) Haven't gotten my license yet. I have a couple weeks to get all the necessary stuff :)

I've been pulled over while carrying. After I informed the officer I was carrying & and in a pocket...the first thing he asked me was if it was in a holster. A pocket is not a holster, wrapping it in a bandana is not a holster, etc.

if the perp has a weapon drawn on you already, he's going to have the opportunity to shoot you before you draw, chambered or not...I'd concede a knife scenario in SOME situations...

:wtf:

Okay, I'll ask you a question then. Would you want to have a free hand during a confrontation regardless of the perps weapon?

If you answer this with 'yes', and I know you will because a single celled amoeba would agree (not that I'm call you a amoeba), then you proved my and many others point. Your weapon should always be chambered. Period.

Do boxers count as a holster? Because they contain my most dangerous weapon of all.

If you wanna talk putting gaping holes in girls' bodies... a .45 ain't got nothing on me. :cool:

Back to your regularly scheduled discussion....

:lol:

This article written for condition of carry on a Colt 1911. The condition of carry for your weapon should be appropriate for the level of threat expected. My all around preference with a Colt 1911 (and most others) is condition 2, ready to go but the hammer is down and has to be cocked first.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_8_46/ai_63772593/

The mechanical differences dictate that the Conditions of Carry vary from weapon to weapon. For example, the 1911 is mechanically different than the Glock 22. Since a 1911 has an external hammer and mechanical thumb and grip safety it will be carried differently than the Glock.

Depending on the type and model of the 1911, inertia safeties will block the firing pin if the pistol is dropped. On the other hand, the Glock has no external hammer, but rather features internal safeties and a mechanical safety located in the center of the trigger. Differences such as these must be taken into account when implementing the Conditions of Carry with any given firearm.

Condition One: Ready To Rock

In Condition One, the pistol has a cartridge in the chamber and a fall magazine inserted into the magazine well. This state of readiness occurs just prior to firing the gun.

In Condition One, a Glock handgun is brought into action simply by being brought on target. When placed on the trigger, the shooter's finger disengages the safety lever located in the middle of the trigger.

In Condition One, 1911 pistols are in a mechanical state commonly called "cocked and locked." In this mode, the hammer is back and the thumb safety is up and in a locked or "safe" no-fire position. The magazine is full and in place.

To bring into action, the 1911 is brought on target, the thumb safety depressed into fire mode and the trigger is accessed. The 1911 also requires that the grip safety located at the back of the frame be depressed in order to fire the pistol.

In Condition One, a firearm is in its fullest state of readiness. The operator is simply required to draw or present the pistol to the threat and apply the mechanics necessary to make the pistol fire. Condition One would be a correct choice when it is necessary to carry the pistol in a state of readiness for potential imminent use.

Condition Two: Dangerous And Awkward

In Condition Two, the pistol has a cartridge in the chamber and a full magazine in place. Glocks cannot be carried in Condition Two as they have no external hammer. When a 1911 is carried in Condition Two, the thumb safety is off and the hammer is down. The grip safety is still in place but does not come into play until the hammer is brought back for firing.

This Condition of Carry offers the dual disadvantage of being both dangerous and awkward. To bring the pistol into action, the operator must first cock the hammer to the rear, making this method of operation slower than the "cocked-and-locked" method of Condition One. Furthermore, Condition. Two could be dangerous if the hammer slips during the risky "dropping" process or if the gun itself is accidentally dropped while in this hammer-down mode. This mode of carry is not recommended under any circumstances.

Condition Three: Is It Child Proof?

In Condition Three the chamber is empty and a full magazine is in place in the magazine well. Condition Three is applicable in both the 1911 and Glock systems and is a common method of carry for military organizations around the world.

I would be much less comfortable carrying something single-action, where a mechanical safety is holding the hammer back.

It's one of the reasons I chose this Glock-- DAO, no external hammer, the safety is the trigger.

17 + 1, ready to go, no problem.

And yes, I understand plenty of people tote 1911's all day with no problem, but I've always been antsy about that little safety lever.

At home, the only gun I don't keep loaded and ready is my Nagant-- I live in an apartment, there's no immediate home defense scenario where I'd need a big rifle and wouldn't have time to grab a stripper clip outta the bag next to it.

Edited by Aerik

Ahhh man, well now I know who I need to call for bail money :) But yes, just ordered a pocket holster.

Good, glad you went that route. The last thing you wanna do is argue with a cop over whether a pocket is a holster on the side of the road. The cop almost always wins on the side of the road. ;) I've been in my car pulled over twice (sister driving my car with a lead foot:)) and each time the convo went smoothly once finding out the gun was in a holster on me.