I thought online courses were supposed to be "easy"?!?

Fonzie

:eek: Holy Shitockee....... After 12 years I'm finally goin' back to take care of some unfinished business

Had my first "class" tonight. 1st hour....... "Introduce yourself & share any research you've done about your name & what it means"

Sweeeeet...... I should'a taken a couple more of these

2nd hour........ OK....... So you need to read the first 2 chapters & have those questions turned in by Saturday, several paragraphs each, then write more paragraphs about 4 of your classmates paragraphs for Tuesday, fill out this survey for me, and call these companies in CA, conduct an interview & put your 3-5 pages of findings in a power point presentation....... Also for Tuesday :wtf:

Did I accidentally sign up for Doctorate level courses?!? :dunno:

Edited by Fonzie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you doing an online degree or just an online course from a local university?

Need 5 classes to finish core requirements for my degree. Somehow got ahead of the required hours though, so have to take another 7 just to meet the 124..... so pickin' up a minor instead of blowoffs

Online here at the local U still. Goin' in to meat with the Prof today

Need 5 classes to finish core requirements for my degree. Somehow got ahead of the required hours though, so have to take another 7 just to meet the 124..... so pickin' up a minor instead of blowoffs

Online here at the local U still. Goin' in to meat with the Prof today

Gotcha, yah I see this kind of stuff all the time with working from home. People have the anticipation things will be easier, but more importantly, bosses, professors, etc feel they need to make things harder so people don't think they aren't working/studying

I decided I needed another design degree so I started taking web development classes online.

Online classes are no joke. All of the work of a regular class with no hands on instructor support. And you have to be disciplined enough to actually do the work without having a set class schedule. Try being a right-brained artist and taking a Java class online. One of the hardest things I have ever done.

Good luck with your classes, Fonz. Always nice to take care of of some unfinished business.

I go to univerity of phoenix online its pretty easy...work at your own pace..no lectures, just turn in your assignments and your done...only bad thing is you are pretty much completely on your own if you dont understand an item you got to find help yourself

I <3'd my online courses... but I went back through my alma mater, so I knew what to expect. MBA courses were much easier than my engineering courses ever were - still took the same amount of time though. Lots more writing and case studies for the MBA.

Funny, Fonz is going back to get him some sheepskin. Why am I not surprised? :D

I go to univerity of phoenix online its pretty easy...work at your own pace..no lectures, just turn in your assignments and your done...only bad thing is you are pretty much completely on your own if you dont understand an item you got to find help yourself

That's fine if you don't tell hiring managers WHERE you got your degree.... and don't plan on going to a real accredited college. Most, if not all, brick and mortar universities don't acknowledge Phoenix "accreditation"

Yeah, I have my own issues with online classes- I'm taking Biology online this term because there aren't enough on-campus students who need it right now. It blows.

The course work is easy (I aced biology and physiology in high school), but part of my grade is based on carrying on forum discussion threads with my 'classmates'.

That would be alright, except they're nearly all borderline illiterate, and the ones who aren't just copy sections from the textbook. Hard to carry on a conversation with a block paragraph from the book I just read.

Even the professor can't type well in English- he's originally from Jamaica, and he uses a patois grammar structure when he types. It's almost as irritating as it sounds.

But the term's almost over now. Just a few more days of bullshit and a final. If they try and make me take any more of these online classes, I'll take my grants, loans, and excellent GPA over to OSU or someplace.

UoP is a real college and accredited. Axia at UoP was originally under someone else until 2006 when UoP brought Axia under them. Axia has its accreditation through UoP now. They are accredited through NCA (North Central Association of Colleges and Schools) just like Sinclair, WSU, OSU and UD are...

Axia is the Associates. Bachelors and up are through UoP

Edited by fusion

hmm... i was thinking about taking online courses for something. not sure what i wanna do, or which school. i dont really know what im looking for though. never thought id be doing this.

if you're looking for something local, try Franklin or Columbus State. I'm getting this degree from Franklin, but I have taken classes for it at Columbus State because they transfer well and it saves money. A lot of Franklin students take as many courses as they can from CSCC because it is about a third of the cost.

I know Bowling Green and Cincinnati both have extensive online programs as well. Stay in state if you can, you'll save a ton of money. It think Ohio Dominican has some programs as well, but they are not cheap.

UoP is a real college and accredited. Axia at UoP was originally under someone else until 2006 when UoP brought Axia under them. Axia has its accreditation through UoP now. They are accredited through NCA (North Central Association of Colleges and Schools) just like Sinclair, WSU, OSU and UD are...

Axia is the Associates. Bachelors and up are through UoP

Don't drink the kool-aid bro, this is what they tell you as information. UOP lacks AACSB accrediation so no recognition of your MBA.

And while they may have the "same" accreditation don't expect any real school to accept transfer credits. I had the same issue going from OSU to UAkron... the OSU course didn't meet the requirement for UA.... AND i know it goes the other way, and for more.

The difference is, ANY college in the US and a lot abroad will accept my bachelor's towards a masters or doctorate. It's not the same way for UoP, I've asked admissions counselors at UA and OSU (i wanted to do part of a JD at UoP until both schools said no courses would count and an MBA from UoP wouldn't transfer)

Also, don't tell a hiring manager, if i was going outside of Ohio I'd get less attention for a UAkron degree over an OSU degree... try telling anyone you have a UoP degree, they don't care about what accreditations the university may have, you'll get less attention than a local community college.

Don't drink the kool-aid bro, this is what they tell you as information. UOP lacks AACSB accrediation so no recognition of your MBA.

And while they may have the "same" accreditation don't expect any real school to accept transfer credits. I had the same issue going from OSU to UAkron... the OSU course didn't meet the requirement for UA.... AND i know it goes the other way, and for more.

The difference is, ANY college in the US and a lot abroad will accept my bachelor's towards a masters or doctorate. It's not the same way for UoP, I've asked admissions counselors at UA and OSU (i wanted to do part of a JD at UoP until both schools said no courses would count and an MBA from UoP wouldn't transfer)

Also, don't tell a hiring manager, if i was going outside of Ohio I'd get less attention for a UAkron degree over an OSU degree... try telling anyone you have a UoP degree, they don't care about what accreditations the university may have, you'll get less attention than a local community college.

I don't know much about the MBA program. I'm in IT and just go on what I have seen others do.

I know people who have been hired into some pretty decent positions at companies like Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Accenture, Deloitte and Touche, IBM and else where with degrees from UoP.

I don't know much about the MBA program. I'm in IT and just go on what I have seen others do.

I know people who have been hired into some pretty decent positions at companies like Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Accenture, Deloitte and Touche, IBM and else where with degrees from UoP.

Sorry, IT is waaaaayyyyyy different. Experience over everything else... whether that's UoP or MCSE or A+ kudos on more education here's a job.

I guess we're comparing Apples to Oranges and maybe public perception will move, I just know for me to move up I pretty much need a reputable MBA... the better the school the more I'd likely move. Chicago GSB, Yale, Harvard, and OSU are all high on the list... I just wish I had the money or time.... my wife has her Master's of Statistics so I'll let her earn the big bucks and I can buy more motorcycles!

Sorry, IT is waaaaayyyyyy different. Experience over everything else... whether that's UoP or MCSE or A+ kudos on more education here's a job.

I guess we're comparing Apples to Oranges and maybe public perception will move, I just know for me to move up I pretty much need a reputable MBA... the better the school the more I'd likely move. Chicago GSB, Yale, Harvard, and OSU are all high on the list... I just wish I had the money or time.... my wife has her Master's of Statistics so I'll let her earn the big bucks and I can buy more motorcycles!

It's definitely different. Before my part of the company got bought out we had a deal through Yale and I was hoping to go and take a few business classes. Kind of bummed.