My first (pet) dog

jbot

Kudos and rep for you for getting a shelter dog. Just remember to be patient and firm. this is new to all of you.

I think we have a couple trainers here. I cant remember names. Good luck though.

Que teh dog eating jokes. :rolleyes:

+1

Congrats! All I would say is just think along the lines of, everything that he does, it's your fault.. If he eats a remote, it should stay out of his reach, if he chews on stuff, maybe he should be in a kennel while you are not home etc.

I have 2 GSD's 6 and 7, Essen, my 7 year old shepherd, was the WORSE puppy EVER.. She used to eat glass to the point where she ate lighbulbs out of lamps, for the first 6 months of her life I had to keep her in my sights at home all the time. When she was 2 (almost to the day) she just grew up and had full run of the house.. BTW, I tried the hot sauce on the coffee table and lets just say, she loves hot sauce..

Through all the remotes, wallets, money, CELL PHONES she ingested during her first 2 years, I love that dog more than most people and cant imagine not having my two best friends.

Congrats and like Jagr said + rep for taking a rescue

i really appreciate the advice! i've been reading books, but real life practical advice always makes more sense to me.

spent a few hours last night getting the dog's area ready, and bought some supplies (leash, shampoo, toothpaste, flossing rope toy?). the dog is getting lance armstronged today and he'll be ready tomorrow to be picked up. i'm taking him to the petsmart after i pick him up to size him for a crate (I have a good idea, but i want to make sure he has enough room in there) and get a pad for him to sleep on for inside the crate and a crapload of toys and more treats.

this is the most i've been excited to welcome a unemployed, not cooking, not cleaning, not mowing the lawn roommate ever.

i really appreciate the advice! i've been reading books, but real life practical advice always makes more sense to me.

spent a few hours last night getting the dog's area ready, and bought some supplies (leash, shampoo, toothpaste, flossing rope toy?). the dog is getting lance armstronged today and he'll be ready tomorrow to be picked up. i'm taking him to the petsmart after i pick him up to size him for a crate (I have a good idea, but i want to make sure he has enough room in there) and get a pad for him to sleep on for inside the crate and a crapload of toys and more treats.

this is the most i've been excited to welcome a unemployed, not cooking, not cleaning, not mowing the lawn roommate ever.

:lol:

When you go buy the hotsauce don't tell them it's for your dog

+1

Congrats! All I would say is just think along the lines of, everything that he does, it's your fault.. If he eats a remote, it should stay out of his reach, if he chews on stuff, maybe he should be in a kennel while you are not home etc.

I have 2 GSD's 6 and 7, Essen, my 7 year old shepherd, was the WORSE puppy EVER.. She used to eat glass to the point where she ate lighbulbs out of lamps, for the first 6 months of her life I had to keep her in my sights at home all the time. When she was 2 (almost to the day) she just grew up and had full run of the house.. BTW, I tried the hot sauce on the coffee table and lets just say, she loves hot sauce..

Through all the remotes, wallets, money, CELL PHONES she ingested during her first 2 years, I love that dog more than most people and cant imagine not having my two best friends.

Congrats and like Jagr said + rep for taking a rescue

Aww he's very cute! Jeff you didn't tell him to watch out for his dog eating his own poop like Jenna and Essen do OR that they eat cute little bunny rabbits that get trapped in your back yard. Tuna fish cans? Spoonin? You didn't warn him bout lots of stuff like you did me. Now I'm scared to get a puppy! :D

Aww he's very cute! Jeff you didn't tell him to watch out for his dog eating his own poop like Jenna and Essen do OR that they eat cute little bunny rabbits that get trapped in your back yard. Tuna fish cans? Spoonin? You didn't warn him bout lots of stuff like you did me. Now I'm scared to get a puppy! :D

They don't get trapped, they just get caught:) True, watch the tuna cans they are sharp, and the poop eating? I brought Essen home from Schutzhund training where she took first place that day in the tracking comp. One of the instructors was praising Essen all day on her natural ability in all of the traits for Shutzhund.. We were so proud! I brought her home and let her out.. My mom stopped by and I was bragging about her, she looked out the door and started laughing, there was Essen eating a big frozen turd.... She said, well my dog might nit be able to jump a 6 foot fence, but she does not eat shit! /sigh

i'm taking him to the petsmart after i pick him up to size him for a crate (I have a good idea, but i want to make sure he has enough room in there) and get a pad for him to sleep on for inside the crate and a crapload of toys and more treats.

My lab DESTROYS stuffed stuff. He don't get a bed in his crate. :D

+1 He will eat the pad immediately.

we put a blanket down to see how Gatsby does with it (yup, we named him Gatsby).

I got to take him for a walk around my neighborhood. It was the first time i got to handle a steamy pile of poop through a plastic bag. Ahh, the satisfaction of having a dog. I can play with poop and no one looks at me funny.

So, the dog is just a cover-up so you can play with poop in public, huh? Well, we all have our own goals in life I guess.

i'm going back to my coprophilic roots, son

excuse me as I get a little excited about getting a dog of my very own. I'm going to guess some of you more experienced dog owners will say something along the lines of "much like boats, it is better to know someone who has pets than to actually own one yourself" but I've wanted a dog for some time, and just never felt comfortable about taking care of one til now. Actually, I'm not anymore responsible than I was before, but I think I've waited long enough, and there is no better time than now since the gf is unemployed for the foreseeable future.

So, without further ado, here he is:

cage7.jpg

I haven't come up with a name yet, so if you have any smashing ideas, let's hear em.

Some contenders so far: Bartleby and Ollie. I let her pick the dog (pretty much... though I did like the dog a lot when I met him) so I'm going to assume I get to pick the name.

Oh, and as you can see, he is a shelter dog (from Cuyahoga County Animal Shelter). Any tips or advice? He is about 1.5 yrs old, and they think he's a black Lab/Pointer mix.

congrats man! i waited my whole life for a dog and now i've got a boxer and i love the hell out of her. you're gonna have a blast, just make sure when you're training him that you're consistent. If you want him to not do something, NEVER let her do it. Spend time working on command with treats every day and make sure they're getting exercise (my dog and i's favorite is roller blading with her pulling me). Otherwise just love the hell out of him and make sure you have enough resolve stocked at all times cause they'll make mistakes no matter how well housebroken they are.

good luck!