Lethality of 22LR round

flounder

I enjoy shooting my .22lr as much as any of my guns, But I don't think it is that deadly of a round(No I'm not willing to take one for the team). Years ago I worked on a farm in Indiana. We were slaughering a cow and the guy I worked for used a .22 rifle held to the forehead of the cow. Well 5 shots later and the poor cow was still standing bleeding from the nose moo-ing and in obvious distress. It was gut wrenching to watch. A friend of the family was there to help and we were all feeling really bad. He went to his truck and grabbed his .38 revolver and dropped the cow instantly.

FYI... I have no intrest in being shot by any gun, But given a choice of a .22lr or a .45.... Choice is pretty clear to me.

I used to talk to the coroner all the time when I was a lifeguard @ YMCA and he said a 22lr usually causes the worst gun shot wounds because the bullet enters the body but doesn't have the energy to exit and therefore just bounces around where a larger caliber will go in and out. He said he had seen bodies where the bullet entered upper chest and the bullet was found in the lower abdomen.

I enjoy shooting my .22lr as much as any of my guns, But I don't think it is that deadly of a round(No I'm not willing to take one for the team). Years ago I worked on a farm in Indiana. We were slaughering a cow and the guy I worked for used a .22 rifle held to the forehead of the cow. Well 5 shots later and the poor cow was still standing bleeding from the nose moo-ing and in obvious distress. It was gut wrenching to watch. A friend of the family was there to help and we were all feeling really bad. He went to his truck and grabbed his .38 revolver and dropped the cow instantly.

FYI... I have no intrest in being shot by any gun, But given a choice of a .22lr or a .45.... Choice is pretty clear to me.

Well, obviously, if you're trying to penetrate a bovine skull.... even from point blank it's obvious the bullet's not going to penetrate that far.

Bring Enough Gun.jpg

Well, obviously, if you're trying to penetrate a bovine skull.... even from point blank it's obvious the bullet's not going to penetrate that far.

Bring Enough Gun.jpg

I remember seeing a movie in 9th grade showing, among other things, how some tribe killed their food... they used a screwdriver in the back of the cow's head or neck... was scary