Modified 2002 Suzuki Katana - Salvage Title - $900

Cheech

Well, the day finally arrived. I just got the quote back from insurance, and they are going to total it out. I figured since I don't really have the heart to put more cash into her, I'll let someone else take a crack at it and try to keep it in the family. Hell, maybe I'll get to ride her again someday.

Anyway, here's what we got. 2002 Suzuki Katana, approximately 8100 miles on the clock. For those of you who don't know, the bike was in a lowside slide into a guardrail. You can forget about the front end, the forks from what I can gather are gone. It looks like it pushed the front end up a little, so the front fairing bracket MIGHT be in need of replacement. I have no reason to believe the frame has been bent at all, but I haven't taken it apart to be sure. Plastics are thrashed, everything forward of the tail on the left side is severely rashed. Right side there are some good sized gouges on the main fairing from where it was pinned on the guardrail. Front fender is completely destroyed, pieces missing. Undertail is cracked, pieces missing there too. Tail section is almost pristine. Battery is out of the bike.

So that's what broke, here's what's not: Engine fires up, no weird noises that I can tell. Rear wheel looks good, both tires have been recently replaced with Metzeler RoadTec Z6's with about 1000 miles on them.

List of mods:

• Factory Pro Shift Kit (stiffer shift spring)

• Factory Pro Ignition Advancer (5 degree)

• Stage 1 Jet Kit (Ivan's)

• Full set of undertail LED's with remote control, done by yours truly

• NRC racing covers, both signal and starter (went down on signal side, good amount of rash. Due to the aluminum texture on the cover, it doesn't stand out too much)

• All LED instrument dash

• Custom license plate bracket with LED turnsignals

• Complete custom exhaust, fabricated by Performance Theory in Columbus

• Sportech black chrome windscreen. I think this is in OK shape, probably a few scratches though.

Along with this, I also have these extras:

Seat from a 04, was going to recover. Foam is in excellent shape, seat has writing on it from a wrecked bike. You can totally use this for day to day, no rips or tears.

Extra rear brake lens, left and right turnsignal lens (one is scratched a bit, however both sides that are still on the bike are completely cracked off)

Original ignition advancer

Sportech windscreen (black chrome, scratch in middle)

Footpeg, can't remember which side

Anyway, for 900 I'll exercise the buyback option and sign the title over to you. We'll split the title fees, as I'm sure the DMV is going to want at least 50 bucks to do its thing. I'm not at all interested in parting this thing out, I've got too much on my plate with my job to worry about shipping a million parts off all over the US.

I'm on a clock here with storage charges from Cycle Search, so if I don't have any takers by Friday I'm just cashing it in. Anytime after Friday I either have to remove the bike from the shop in Delaware or cough up storage charges myself.

Edited by Cheech

I almost bought this last night.... I'm interested but I don't know what it costs to put a new front end on.

Based on my research, a set of GSXR forks will bolt right onto this thing. Katriders.com has all the details. You can find gixxer forks much easier (and cheaper, I think) than the Katana's. Now that I have the CBR, I just don't have the cash to dump into two projects.

Like I said, you've got a few days to make up your mind. State Farm will pay the storage fees at Cycle Search until this Friday.

Did your insurance give you anything above the cash value?

Yes, but that's going towards other stuff. I thought I'd send the buyback option up the flagpole in case anyone here was interested before I see it again somewhere else for 1200.