Wanted - Golden Retriever

LilTuffGirl

Hi, we just moved into our house, but the people next door have a 6 yr old really sweet Golden Retriever girl, Bailey. They need to let her go because they are moving into an appartment, but I am not sure when. I think she is good with cats.

What is your house situation? she is used to a yard to get out and roam around. If you are interested, maybe I can talk to them?

Mel

i got my mutt from the cuyahoga county shelter. we got lucky and got a really smart and nice dog with a freakish curly tail. it was about a 45 minute drive for us (our local shelter didn't have many dogs) but it was completely worth it since they had so many dogs.

check out petfinder.com

and just to postwhore my doggie:

3857638335_d2983930b2.jpg

If you want some sort of inexpensive dog get a mut. Alot of purebred dogs have problems like hip and joint problems from bad breeding which equals more visits to the vet. I have a golden and in the first year i spent a fair amount of cash at the vet figuring out why he kept getting rashes and would puke all the time. Turned out he's allergic to beef protien. Other than that he's an excellent dog except for the dog hair!

Yea I don't have to have a purebred. It's not like I'm getting a puppy. I'm not buying from a breeder. I rather spend the money among care of the dog instead of paying for the dog. I'll need a crate for it and that'll be another $100+ and depending on where I get it from I'll want a vet check.

I'm expanding my search to other shelters and other breeds/mixes. My best dog was a mutt and I miss her like crazy :(

I found a golden on craigslist that she said she'll give me for free because he's been getting things from the neighbors yard and chewing them up. But he's never been inside the house and she asked if I had a big house so apparently for a 2 year old he's still hyper. She seems a little eager to find him a new home.

I wish I could just train him but my husband already doesn't want a dog and sure as crap won't let me have one that'll kill the house.

Riight... And I should have a Subaru STi because I bought it with a salvage title for cheaper instead of paying full cost...

I'd love to help a shelter out and all but I have my own things to pay for.

Thanks to those who actually helped. Seems to be too many asses on here for any further help

People are trying to help.. and some are just assholes about it. In all seriousness' date=' if you can't afford $150-250 to buy an adoption pet then you shouldn't be looking for a pet, at all. What happens if the pooch gets his/her ass tore into by a stray animal? What happens when that stray has rabies or some other infectious disease? How are you going to cover paying for your new pooch's treatment?

I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but pet ownership is very serious business. It isn't a car.. it's a life. A life that you make a decision to care for. That isn't something to be taken lightly.[/quote']

+1; you're acting sort of petulant at this point, "LTGirl."

You're looking for a purebred dog that's a) been raised properly, b) been trained properly (good around cats? doesn't happen right away), and c) is free. The odds are slim to none that you'll see anything of the like, ESPECIALLY with a popular breed like a Golden. They don't need to let those go for free because everyone wants them.

Do yourself a favor and visit a dog show. Look into a small but reputable kennel that does Goldens, and talk to the owner about picking up a bitch that they've bred on for a while. If they have one with good traits but one that wasn't able to make Champion status they should give you a good deal on it. You will definitely get a fee attached to the purchase but you will get a pedigree-proven dog that will have a LOT of good traits and maybe just a few problems that the average dog owner will never, ever have to worry about.