1911 ?

Rod38um

I've been lusting after a full size 1911 since I was a teenager. I've never bought one yet but I have made up my mind finally to just do it. I went to the local gun store and picked up a few to see how they feel.......... I should NOT have picked up the Kimber because it was freaking awesome and now I want one but they are pretty proud of their products and charge accordingly. Anyway I looked at Colt, Springfield, Taurus and Kimber.

Does anyone have any guidance as to which one is great which is crap, anything to look for or look out for......???

I've been a hunter and shooter for years, I just never got into pistols so I'm kinda clueless

Appreciate any help!

I went looking this past weekend. I would be interested in seeing the response's to this thread as well because I want to pick one up in the next few weeks as well. The two brands I have been looking at so far are the Colt and the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec A1

I don't shoot much, but my dad is real into the 1911's. He and some of his buddies are always praising the Dan Wessons.

Here is the forum he is always on about them:

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

I'm pretty sure he has the Patriot.

Edited by Artmageddon
add info

i have a rock island that has treated me very well.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1

I was checking guns out at the local gun store, and they had a rock island arsenal GI version, for a bit over 300. very nicely put together and smooth action. I'm partial to my Sig GSR, but the styling is a bit controvertial, according to reviews. Personally, I think it looks great, and shoots even better. If you get an earlier example, it is fitted with top quality parts... the later ones are still very good, just not quite as filled with "custom" bits.

Kimber all the way, Colt is a big waist of money!!! I bought my Kimber 1911 A1 45acp CustomII and absolutely love it! It's accurate as hell right out of the box. It is also all match grade unlike Colt. If you are serious come up to Vances and get it there I bought mine new in the box for $679 plus tax, while other shops were asking $1199 for the exact same gun. If you decide to come up call me 614 657 8305 and you can shoot mine to see what you think. I can also share the horror story about Colts. I had a Gold Cup Trophy edition Colt 1911 A1 45acp, I hated it!

Edited by Wheezle

I've had a Llama 1911 satin chrome .45acp for 15 years. I used it in police training and shot thousands of rounds thru it with no problems. It did develop a very small crack on a spot on the rail that affects nothing. Very accurate or maybe it was my eagle eye.

I don't think they sell them anymore...

15 years ago all the Instructors said Taurus was just not an accurate pistol.

Look in the firearms section at the sneak preview thread. That's vances add for the month also shoot JJ1 a MSG he works at vances. He can tell you the specials. When you get it look for crimson trace grips with the laser inthem. They are well worth the money. You are more than welcome to call me with questions.

I just checked out their website, I didnt see the Grand Raptor but they had a huge selection of Kimbers. I will definately run up and look around. Probably friday or next monday.

Don't come on a Monday unless you wanna be disappointed. They are closed on Sundays and Mondays. I find this out the hard way a long time ago. :)