Red Light Cameras in Zanesville

JayW

WTF?

I'm pissed off that the city even thought about this.

I stopped going to Heath because of their cameras.

I'm against them because they are marketed under the ploy of increased safety, but I think they will make it less safe for those on 2-wheels.

Let's say I'm riding along Maple Ave, light turns yellow and I don't have the distance for anything less than an emergency stop. Speed up to get through the light before it turns not to get a ticket from the camera, but I was a second too slow. Get a ticket in the mail. No thanks.

Now let's say I pull off an emergency stop. Maple Ave streets are soaked with grease near intersections. There isn't enough traction to do it. Bike skids like mad sliding on the grease and it drops. No thanks.

Or let's say the emergency stop got pulled off OK. Car behind isn't paying attention and slams into the back of your bike because they expected you to blow it. No thanks.

Red light cameras will just cause more problems. We have police, why not use them for red-light patroling. I'd rather explain myself to a police officer a minute after it happened and at least think there's a way of him understanding, than have to go to court to try to explain the circumstances to a judge who doesn't care about the fact that a motorcycle stopping at the rate required on grease is unsafe.

I hope the people of Zanesville do what Cincinnati did and ban Red Light Cameras altogether.

Maple Ave is way to congested for red light cameras. Gonna have to stay off of that road if they put in red light cams.

Accident rates go up, but so do revenues, and that's what the city is looking at.

Let's say I'm riding along Maple Ave, light turns yellow and I don't have the distance for anything less than an emergency stop. Speed up to get through the light before it turns not to get a ticket from the camera, but I was a second too slow.

lol thats either the quickest yellow light ever, or you have seriously misjudged your braking ability.

We have police, why not use them for red-light patroling.

i definitely agree. but they are too busy running radar. funny, because speed is not a primary cause of accidents, however running a red light is. besides that, they probably have more important things to worry about than traffic enforcement. at least here in columbus they do.

im not sure about in zanesville, but here, the cameras work on the same principal that is used to change the signal when you pull up. there is a magnetic sensor in the street.

most bike will not make the light change when you pull up. they also will not set off the sensor when you run the red light.

also, the cameras only go off if you are exceeding the speed limit. their main goal is to catch people who had no intention of stopping. if you stay under the limit, you can cruise right through the light no worries :p