Biker fails to notice his leg is gone!

NinjaNick

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22242930-5001028,00.html

From correspondents in Tokyo

August 14, 2007 12:03pm

A JAPANESE biker failed to notice his leg had been severed below the knee when he hit a safety barrier, and rode on for 2km, leaving a friend to pick up the limb.

The 54-year-old office worker was out on his motorcycle with a group of friends in the city of Hamamatsu, west of Tokyo, yesterday, when he was unable to negotiate a curve in the road and bumped into the central barrier, the Mainichi Shimbun said.

He felt excruciating pain, but did not notice that his right leg was missing until he stopped at the next junction, the paper quoted local police as saying.

The man and his leg were taken to hospital, but the limb had been crushed in the collision, the paper said

Well thats f-ing crazy! How would you not notice that?... Oh, and I never use my rear brake... just sometimes at lights or on a slope.

I think I'ved used my rear brake 3x this year... Once was to keep me from rolling backwards in a parking lot while I looked at my map this weekend.

heh, yeah about that often, but still if you crushed it causing that much pain, well i'm only assuming that ripping your leg off in a crushing injury can't exactly be nirvana, you would at the very least reach down and rub it or something.

Of course on a lighter note it would have been funny as shit to be behind him and watch him fall over because all the sudden his legs gone and he had no idea... I'm sadistic i know, but i would have laughed my ass off

thats insane, but as for the rear break thing, i always try to use it gently each time, the way i see it its a good habit, because when you have to stop suddenly, you would use both out of habit rather than slam on the front and fly 1000 ft

I'm really surprised nobody uses the rear brake. Like said above, I think it's a good idea to do it subconsciously because it will help when needed in a bad way, even if it only helps you slow down 25% as well as the front brake. Also, nobody does any tail braking? Enter a corner a little too hot and gently apply the rear brake while turning? I've done it a few times... I read that this was the proper way to slow down mid-turn... then again I'm a n00b

I'm really surprised nobody uses the rear brake. Like said above, I think it's a good idea to do it subconsciously because it will help when needed in a bad way, even if it only helps you slow down 25% as well as the front brake. Also, nobody does any tail braking? Enter a corner a little too hot and gently apply the rear brake while turning? I've done it a few times... I read that this was the proper way to slow down mid-turn... then again I'm a n00b

its a matter of control for me. i used to use the rear brake for a lot of my braking because of my inexperience. it only took one day with three close calls/locked up rear tires for me to realize to lay off the rear brake. i only use it now when i dont think the front can handle it alone, which is not often.

well this particular day was only a week or two after i got my bike and i was trying to catch up. a lot of defensive driving tactics were not present and campus traffic just compounded my problems. i actually had to stop using the rear brake so i could train myself to use the front brake because of its effectiveness. whatever works for you i suppose. i would hardly say that people who dont use their rear brake often are unsafe riders however, just ride differently.

Trail braking has it's uses, but my current bike stands up like a son of a bitch with the slightest bit of trail braking... I have to have my entrance speed dialed in before hitting the turn, otherwise I'm fucked.

its a matter of control for me. i used to use the rear brake for a lot of my braking because of my inexperience. it only took one day with three close calls/locked up rear tires for me to realize to lay off the rear brake. i only use it now when i dont think the front can handle it alone, which is not often.

Covering the rear brake is extremely important.

I've locked up my rear 1 time, and I did it on purpose to see how much it would take to lock it up :o

Maybe my pads are shot and it's a blessing in disguise.

I did it on my old bike early this season when coming off of 555... a pretty nasty section of gravely poopy road... I MX'ed that shit sideways just to give a final "fuck you!" to that POS road.

Trail braking has it's uses, but my current bike stands up like a son of a bitch with the slightest bit of trail braking...

the MSF course taught me to be on the throttle during turns. any braking during turns is a bad idea. so far i havent found any reason to disagree with that.

Covering the rear brake is extremely important.

wont disagree with you on that one.

the MSF course taught me to be on the throttle during turns. any braking during turns is a bad idea. so far i havent found any reason to disagree with that.

Braking during turns can be done, it just must be done very carefully and with a good deal of skill... The best way is to get all of your braking done before the turn... Sometimes mistakes happen though, so braking is necessary...

That is a safer way of braking during a turn. The safest way is to never brake during turns.

For the street yes, but on the track braking into a corner is pretty much a necessity.

If you know what you are doing braking in a corner as a necessity can save you, but not something to plan on going into a corner.

I need to start to play with the rear brake on the track and see if it does settle down the rear end once it starts bouncing a bit.