Sometimes Slippery When Wet

ReconRat

When it hasn't rained for a long time, rain can make a roadway really slick and slippery. People from Florida know this, because it is a common hazard in Florida. It can be as bad as ice at times. Without rain to wash away the oils and liquids that leak from cars, the centers of the lanes can become incredibly hazardous. Apparently it was that type of condition in some areas of Columbus today. Bad enough to get out sand trucks to fix it.

NBC4 News - Columbus

Rain Slicks Cause Driving Woes

By Laurie Omness

Published: September 20, 2009

COLUMBUS, Ohio—

A light rain caused police to closed down several ramps leading to the outerbelt, 70 and 71 as vehicles were taken by surprise by unexpectedly slick road surfaces after the rain moistened road-oil that has been unwashed and waiting after several days of dry weather. In one case a semi jacknifed and released about 15 gallons of fuel, adding to the problems. Light Sunday traffic kept the problems from being more severe, but as it was several people were transported to hospitals out of a half dozen accidents. None were in life threatening condition. The city sent a sand truck to two ramp locations to help stabilize the slippery roadway with a gritty coating of sand. Those locations were 270 southbound at the ramp going to 70 East Bound. 71 Southbound to 70 West Bound also needed sand assistance.

Edited by ReconRat

I lol'd a little when I read who did the story. Laurie Omness is originally from Lima. She did the nightly news for the NBC station in Lima until it was discovered that she is a Cleptomaniac. Always wondered where she disappeared to :lol:

Now that's funny...

Yuppers rain can make it a little slippery,we all know about tar snakes,sewer lids and paint lines but(years ago) when I drove a truck we used to haul soy bean oil to Profit & God and a driver had a leakey valve that didn't close all the way,so I am heading off of rt 50 to pick up 75 and I about jack knifed,now that stuff is just like ice..just to give ya one more thing to think about when behind a tanker:).Soy bean oil plant in Sidney,their lot used to be slick as snot also.