car problems....

smashweights

heard a Jetson's-like wind up noise from the front driver side yesterday, then a small POP. no noise. today i was driving home from gahanna to grove city and twice the car tried to jerk to the right (without a concurrent change in steering wheel). then i was taking the 71N to 270W ramp and the car dove right and lost control, thank God no one was taking the opposite ramp cause i would have slid into them. WTF is going on here? too late for a shop tonight but so much for driving back to dayton tonight... :(

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

97 jetta, FWD. been a lemon since i drove it off the lot, literally. this might be the "fix it and sell it" point for me.

guess i better go get the plates on the R6 renewed so i can get to work next week...

Edited by smashweights

firestone said only thing they've noticed wrong is some loose struts up front and leaky struts in the back... would that cause the car to steer hard right suddenly?

Something broken!

Sorry, but I don't put a lot of stock into what these chain stores have to say! Some of them have a few talented techs (I know a couple of them!) but they employ just about anyone who can HOLD a wrench.

That said, I wonder what they mean by loose struts up front? If there is something physically loose, as in coming apart, they should have been more serious in telling you about it! There's not much about a front strut on those that could be loose. WOrn out, and not dampening properly would be a different story. Leaky rears seems to be pretty common on VW/Audi's. If the "looseness" in the front struts is just them being worn out, and not dampening properly, that's not likely your issue.

If you've had a noise, then a pop and now the wheel darting out of control, it sounds like a wheel bearing. It was probably dry, the ball bearings in it got worn too much and the pop was them coming out, then the rest came out and the wheel darted on you. The bearings on that should be pressed into the sterring knuckle, and the wheel hub pressed into that, all held together by the CV shaft's outer joint housing.

That's just a guess, since I can't see the car from here!

firestone said only thing they've noticed wrong is some loose struts up front and leaky struts in the back... would that cause the car to steer hard right suddenly?

Neither of those things would cause a car to steer hard right suddenly. Seriously, if you've got a car that all of a sudden steers itself hard to the right all by itself, you need to get the entire system professionally checked out. Do you feel any roughness or surging in the steering rack when you turn lock to lock? I don't know what loose struts means. I do know about worn strut plates. They're the upper mounts that have a flat bearing in them that allows them to pivot to steer the car. If they're worn, you'll feel and hear roughness when you turn lock to lock. Struts should not be loose. They're like motorcycle forks in that they are bushed high and low to be solid against side forces. If you can wiggle a tire, that's pretty bad on a car with McPherson Strut suspension. It would have to be seriously loose to cause the deadly condition you're talking about.

not sure if they used the term "loose" exactly, just that the only thing they noticed to have an issue was the struts all around and something about not maintaining good contact with the ground as a result. i asked about the joints etc and he said he didnt notice anything like that, but they'd look it over again.

As for the questions, no, there's no noise right now at all. The steering does not surge when turning it side to side completely while parked and i dont notice any odd feedback from the wheel while driving.

Know any good, more locally owned shops in the grove city area?

they also said one of the calipers was sticking. could that be the problem? i'm getting to the "fix it and sell it" point with this hunk of junk. pissed i just put a new head unit in it...

Yes, a brake caliper piston stuck either open or closed can cause a sudden pull to the one side or the other. And brake parts can make a lot of noise, I'm not sure about the Jetson's sound though. Any part dragging on the rim will make quite a lot of noise.

I replaced both once, when one was sticking closed and dragging. One sticking open can be just as bad. The result was suddenly pulling left when I hit the brakes, and then suddenly pulling right when I let off the brakes. Then it would release the pistons a bit, and everything would be normal again.

edit: Point is, something broke and effects the steering. Either suspension, or brakes. The Firestone mechanics haven't found it yet.

Edited by ReconRat

Could be ball joints

CV Joints

Steering Rack

Hub/wheel bearing

Could be Struts

Transmission

Could be struts especially if they are loose at the top because it would change the front end geometry with a pop.

Could be ball joints for the same as above.

Never seen a tie rod end pop and let you keep driving, normally those will make you park it at the side of the road with a pigeon toe look on the front wheels.

Wheel Bearing or hub bearings, never seen one of those make a car swerve when they fail. They are noisy as hell after they loose a roller.

Never seen a Rack and Pinion fail causing the car to swerve, they usually get sloppy or leak.

now the whining sound then a pop. It could be a CV boot failing and then flying off while in motion, that would certainly would cause the car to swerve. I would hope that Firestone would have caught that.

Final drive in the transmission could do that as well.

Brakes dragging would cause the car to pull one way or another, not a spontaneous swerve. I believe the dragging brakes are a problem not the problem.

Please post what you find

Edited by Lost
brake info

so sounds like it might be a brake piston then? the "jetsons" sound i mentioned was just a high pitched whine that grew in intensity and volume with speed and vice versa. it did not make this noise at all the day the car was having steering issues. like i said, firestone pointed out the piston and the struts as the only problems they noted on inspection and havent found the parts to quote me as of yet.

i guess the piston would make sense. if one of them was sticking open/shut that seems like it might fit what i'm experiencing. everyone i know's first thoughts was the joints/bearings/etc like has been suggested, but there was not free play when tugging on the wheel while up on stands.

so sounds like it might be a brake piston then? the "jetsons" sound i mentioned was just a high pitched whine that grew in intensity and volume with speed and vice versa. it did not make this noise at all the day the car was having steering issues. like i said, firestone pointed out the piston and the struts as the only problems they noted on inspection and havent found the parts to quote me as of yet.

i guess the piston would make sense. if one of them was sticking open/shut that seems like it might fit what i'm experiencing. everyone i know's first thoughts was the joints/bearings/etc like has been suggested, but there was not free play when tugging on the wheel while up on stands.

I hope it's just the brakes. But if the steering wheel wasn't pulling at the same time, I'd thing more likely suspension parts. It's hard to tell without being there and listening and looking. That noise might even have been the power steering pump?

I'm still voting for it being a wheel bearing, or ball joint, unless a caliper was coming loose and rubbing the inside of the rim.

Yeah, I was going to mention looking inside the rim. It happens often enough. I still think that popping sound was a bolt or part breaking somewhere...