Any advice on taking 66 to the coast?

magley64

Yup - 600 miles is along day on a non-touring type bike. Multiple 600 mile days in a row is no fun at all.

Try to plan for a day or two of no riding at all. Your body isn't the only thing to get tired, your brain will get really tired. Probably more so than your body.

Just take some time to rest.

Springfield to Albequerque is 825 miles and will take a shitload longer than 12 hours to do. Might wanna rethink your distances and tiem to ride it.

have fun!

Edited by Earache

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday I ride 13 hours, new lyme to springfield missouri, 837 miles- no way

Thursday I ride 12 hours springfield to albequerque 825 miles - no way

Friday I ride 11 hours albequerque to LA 788 miles - no way

Saturday I enjoy LA, including the beach, hollywood, and some night life (probably splurge on a good hotel in case I meet some ladies...)

Sunday I ride 4 hours to vegas 270 miles - way

Monday I ride 11 hours to denver 748 miles - no way

Tuesday I ride 12 hours to St. Louie 850 miles - no way

Wednesday I ride 9 hours to New Lyme - Possible but a stretch

Did the miles for you - I'm not ragging on you by any means, but the mileage versus the time you want to do it in is going to be damned near impossible. Bikes go faster, but you'll be stopping for fuel constantly unless you have a fuel cell on your bike.

And be super careful in Kansas. They have more cops per inch on I-70 than any state in the US - including Ohio.

Just be careful and take a little more time, then you'll arrive safely and have more fun.

Edited by Earache

Did the miles for you - I'm not ragging on you by any means, but the mileage versus the time you want to do it in is going to be damned near impossible. Bikes go faster, but you'll be stopping for fuel constantly unless you have a fuel cell on your bike.

And be super careful in Kansas. They have more cops per inch on I-70 than any state in the US - including Ohio.

Just be careful and take a little more time, then you'll arrive safely and have more fun.

Wow, I didn't even look at the miles, I would listen to Earache and really re-plan your trip. 800 miles a day would suck in car, let alone a bike.

I thought I could easily do 600 a day every day, but with fuel and rest stops, it's not that easy. Especially if you're not on a touring bike.

Think about how bad your ass hurts after a few hour ride, and then multiply it by 4, and that is how it feel everyday for a week, sometimes even when you are not riding. .....And I ride a cruiser with an extra padded seat.

stops and times are not written in stone.

I do plan on doing 95% of my riding during the day.

The XX is no goldwing, but she's no RR either; I've done a few 16 hour days on her and it didn't totally kill me. (worst I had was wind burn on my knuckles)

I do take your advice serious, and i'm going to consider leaving tuesday. (i just used yahoo for the drive times)

The XX is no goldwing, but she's no RR either; I've done a few 16 hour days on her and it didn't totally kill me.....

What I meant when refering to a tour bike vs. sportbike was the range. Most sportbikes do around 120-150 miles per tank whereas a lot of toury type bikes do 350 or so. It's the gas stops that kill your time average on long trips. I have no idea what kind of range you have, but hope it's at least 175 to 200 or so - that'll save you some stops and get you there faster.

fyi -- i dont know if the interstates are still under contstruction but i hit major construction/single road slow downs miles upon miles through texas and oklahoma. that was august, about 6 weeks ago on my return trip so, betting they arent finished with projects yet either. it slowed my timing down on those long straight painful i-40 stretches.

Those cement blocks are gonna kill your fuel mileage! :)

damn...i know you're right, but i really want to bring my cement blocks along...

What I meant when refering to a tour bike vs. sportbike was the range. Most sportbikes do around 120-150 miles per tank whereas a lot of toury type bikes do 350 or so. It's the gas stops that kill your time average on long trips. I have no idea what kind of range you have, but hope it's at least 175 to 200 or so - that'll save you some stops and get you there faster.

the XX gets about 200 to a tank (thats full tank to 1 bar) a little better since i just went up a tooth on the front sprocket.

We did a geocaching event a few years ago. About 80% of the road you can

still drive. The things that stinks is that you you drive a 25 hunk of blacktop

and it ends. You have to go back to where you got on it again. It does that

alot.

It's good to go from L.A. to Arizona, just south of Grand Canyon

the other part of Arizona through New Mexico you will see parts of it

running with I-40.

in most places that have had lots of traffic have been made into 4 lane

roads. It's still 66 but it's not the old 2 lane road as it use to be. Most

of the exits have Historic 66 signs.

picture.php?albumid=733&pictureid=7819&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=733&pictureid=7818&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=733&pictureid=7816&thumb=1 picture.php?albumid=733&pictureid=7813&thumb=1

It's worth the trip. I have done it 3 times (Once on a bike) and it's

a great time.

Doc

DSC03126.JPG

Edited by Doc
add pic

Take SpeedBuggy, and it won't matter what shape the roads are in!! ;)

Hey look..... It's TowMater

DSC01157.JPG

Been sayin' for years I'd like to take my boys & do this trip before they graduate & head out into the world on their own

Edited by Fonzie

is 29.5 hours on a bike enough?

11 am pacific time I left LA...sunday

6:30 pm central time I checked into this hotel on the east side of oklahoma...monday

only stops in between were food, fuel, and red bull... do I qualify for iron butt?