Any advice on taking 66 to the coast?

magley64

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if anyone has the opportunity to ride in LA, don't hesitate...DO IT!!! sooooo fun...

Lane splitting! Had to do it for 40 miles one way, every day to work. Too many people in LA. It was lots of humor, but the fact that it was all too necessary to just survive there sucked.

Sometimes you don't even need a motorcycle in Los Angeles to lane split!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNZSe8Q8-Iw

is 29.5 hours on a bike enough?

11 am pacific time I left LA...sunday

6:30 pm central time I checked into this hotel on the east side of oklahoma...monday

only stops in between were food, fuel, and red bull... do I qualify for iron butt?

we'll give it to ya. :guitar: Damn dude, that's crazy. What was it,

13-1400 miles?

11 am pacific time I left LA...sunday

6:30 pm central time I checked into this hotel on the east side of oklahoma...monday

only stops in between were food, fuel, and red bull... do I qualify for iron butt?

You're CRAZY dude!! WTH got into you?!?

Please tell me you saved your receipts &/or got some photographic evidence..... 'Cause that should definitely qualify you as long as you can meat their requirements for proof

You're gonna be the 1st official DTC IBA!! :D

You're CRAZY dude!! WTH got into you?!?

well, I'm anxious to see a certain someone, and once I hit flagstaff Arizona, I remembered how much I hated arizona, new mexico, texas, and oklahoma, so i just said "screw it! I'm going home"

it was 1500 miles, would have been more like 1800, but there was some insane fog thru a good portion of new mexico, and some construction zones, not to mention all the damn elk on the road.

well, I'm anxious to see a certain someone, and once I hit flagstaff Arizona, I remembered how much I hated arizona, new mexico, texas, and oklahoma, so i just said "screw it! I'm going home"

it was 1500 miles, would have been more like 1800, but there was some insane fog thru a good portion of new mexico, and some construction zones, not to mention all the damn elk on the road.

Did the same thing back in July. Went from Roswell, NM to LAX to beat my certain someone's plane to the airport. 1000 miles in 17 hrs. I got to Albuquerque by 10AM that day and said "screw it!" to Flagstaff and canceled my hotel reservation once I hit Gallup. That last leg was so boring and hot; one of my boot buckles snapped in the 119 degree weather. Made it with 15 minutes to spare. At least there were In N Out burgers at the end. :D

Although 1500 miles?! You be craaaazy. ;)

Edited by the_silverfox

Wednesday I ride 13 hours, new lyme to springfield missouri, 837 miles- no way

Thursday I ride 12 hours springfield to albequerque 825 miles - no way

Friday I ride 11 hours albequerque to LA 788 miles - no way

Saturday I enjoy LA, including the beach, hollywood, and some night life (probably splurge on a good hotel in case I meet some ladies...)

Sunday I ride 4 hours to vegas 270 miles - way

Monday I ride 11 hours to denver 748 miles - no way

Tuesday I ride 12 hours to St. Louie 850 miles - no way

Wednesday I ride 9 hours to New Lyme - Possible but a stretch

Did the miles for you - I'm not ragging on you by any means, but the mileage versus the time you want to do it in is going to be damned near impossible. Bikes go faster, but you'll be stopping for fuel constantly unless you have a fuel cell on your bike.

And be super careful in Kansas. They have more cops per inch on I-70 than any state in the US - including Ohio.

Just be careful and take a little more time, then you'll arrive safely and have more fun.

ride times went down like this...

tuesday: new lyme at 9:00 AM, arrived in st. louis missouri at 7 pm local time

Wednesday: woke up at 7:00 Left by 8:00, rode straight through to Amarillo Texas...stayed at a travelodge, got some sleep

Thursday: up by 7, out by 8, arrived in vegas 11:00 pm local time

Friday: Up at 10, hung out on the strip a bit, left at noon, arrived in LA about 5 pm...

Sunday/Monday: out of the hotel at 11:00 AM local time monday, rode 29.5 hours to vinita, oklahoma

Tuesday: Left Vinita at 10:00 am local time, arrived in cuyahoga falls at 5:00 am wednesday morning

Wednesday: up at noon, hung out a bit, arrived home to new lyme, ohio at 5:00 pm...

that is a boat load of seat time

LA to vinita was suicide...I DON'T reccomend anyone else try that... after hour 22, I could feel my awareness fading, my reflexes dimming, and my muscles starting to twitch...Only stops were food, fuel, and red bull..

by hour 28, I was vaguely aware of a humming red thing between my knees

at hour 29.5, I had almost dosed off 3 times inside of a few minutes, and the 2 red bulls i just downed were'nt helping, so I called it a day and checked into a holiday inn express...

Sooooo...... Did I miss somewhere, what exactly prompted this spur of the moment Cannonball Run?!? :confused:

interesting! i never knew of this road. bishop as an end town kind of sucks, but mammoth and tahoe are closeby at least... love the easter sierra[/quot

Bishops sucks???? no way just to the north is Yosemite N.P. to the south is Death Valley N.P. and to the east is the Sierra Nevada Mtn's how much more can you ask of a small town at the end of Rt.6 ??

there are guided motorcycle tours of Rt.66 out of Chicago

http://www.roadhouse66.com/tour.htm

http://www.best-motorcycle-gear.com/historic-route-66.html

http://www.ridingroute66.us/

just do a search on Rt.66 motorcycle tours you'll get hit after hit on group and self guided tours

Rt.6 coast to coast is one of my dream rides I'll do someday the other ride I dream about is the country's longest Highway which 200 yards from my driveway starts in Boston Ma. to Newport Or. it also goes through Yellowstone N.P.

70px-US_20.svg.png 285px-US_20_map.png

Edited by DILLIGAF61

do I qualify for iron butt?

In 2004 I road from Cincinnati to Utah to I-15 down to vegas then

4 days later Vegas to Cincinnati VIA I-40/66

Yea, You get the Iron Butt Award LOL