Churches and CCW

Likwid

Interesting "2 sides of the fence" I've seen now. In Ohio places of worship are explicitly stated in the code as "(6) Any church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship, unless the church, synagogue, mosque, or other place of worship posts or permits otherwise;" So it's interesting, much like private businesses, it's completely the decision of the church (but default is no).

While searching around for firearm shops in Cuyahoga Falls I found a "historic" church in Cuyahoga Falls that explicitly lists on their website that they don't allow firearms and that they facilitate a WEAPONS FREE SOCIETY. Fine, so be it, not a church I'm joining (obviously) but also not one I'm going to go "sight seeing".

Well, I got the invite for a wedding I'm in, and the wedding rehearsal, both at a church. I was planning on just locking it in my car like normal but I figured "hmm, I wonder what the church says"... so I gave them a call. The secretary transferred me to the Senior Pastor (obviously they don't have a hard and fast policy like the one in Cuyahoga Falls).... the Pastor says "Oh, no problem, we just ask you identify yourself to the security on duty or the Pastor that is there (I'm not working that rehearsal/wedding) but it's fine"..... I can understand their reason for "identification", since Church is default no seeing a firearm would mean someone "broke the rules", so self identifying removes that risk to the individual.

I thought this was refreshing, while I disagree with the ORC about the prohibitions for CCW holders I really like it when businesses/organizations/people realize CCW holders are NOT the enemy.

inb4 tl;dr

We talk about that one more than others it seems on occasion. I also find it odd that churches are specifically called out when they should be treated like private property or a business.

It's cool that the church will allow it, but they are all probably gun toting fundies anyway. j/k ....maybe :D

Nice.. I went to C'bus yesterday to visit the siblings. Before we (my cousin and I) left Ravenna he had to swing by the First Merit and deposit his paycheck. I ran in a few seconds after him to toss my RedBull can in the garbage. They asked me if I had an account and I said' date=' "NO, I just need to deposit my garbage." I walked out the door and didn't say anything else. Brian came out and informed me that they told him that if he could get me to open an account they'd give him $10. He said, "That's ok, he wouldn't open an account here because of your policy against concealed weapons." The teller responded with, "You'd understand if you were on this side of the wall." Brian retorted with, "Maam, I'd feel a lot safer if you and I were both packing." She shook her head and he left. Funny story and unfortunate, but I still uphold a private property owner's right to deny carry on their property. Churches fall into that protection, as well. Good to hear this one allows it even if it comes with a bit of outing yourself.[/quote']

I double checked my bank right after I got my license... glad to see they didn't post.

I'm ok identifying to the security guard/pastor, in fact I'd prefer to identify. Now if I bent over to pick something up and I print someone tells the security guard and the security guard says "it's ok" instead of them calling 9-1-1 for MWAG and wasting the police officer's time.

Funny thing, as were arrived at our church Wednesday for a meeting, there were a couple members about 15 yards to the side of the building with a compound bow. I think one of them was trying it out!

A large number of the guys in our church, including the Pastor, are avid sportsmen, go to Canada for bear hunting trips, etc...

You really don't need a gun in a catholic church because Jesus is looking out for his peeps.

Noone needs a weapon if religion is on their side!

In all seriousness, I never EXPECT to need my firearm, but I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I am just busting your nuts, but stop running around being scared of shit all the time. The truth is for most people life shits on them and their place of worship is the only place where they can truly be a peace why would you want to ruin that for anybody?

I am just busting your nuts, but stop running around being scared of shit all the time. The truth is for most people life shits on them and their place of worship is the only place where they can truly be a peace why would you want to ruin that for anybody?

I know you are :)

Are you asking hypothetically or making the statement I shouldn't carry? If it's hypothetical I agree 100%, there should be safe places. If you're actually arguing that place of worship IS safe then you know what I'll say.

I know you are :)

Are you asking hypothetically or making the statement I shouldn't carry? If it's hypothetical I agree 100%, there should be safe places. If you're actually arguing that place of worship IS safe then you know what I'll say.

I am just saying that either get over your fear of being unarmed for an hour during your religious service or stay at home. It is extremely greedy to worry so much about your own safety that you would potentially ruin someone else's religious experience

I am just saying that either get over your fear of being unarmed for an hour during your religious service or stay at home. It is extremely greedy to worry so much about your own safety that you would potentially ruin someone else's religious experience

Gotcha. Sorry, but I'll never put others' discomfort over my own safety. (That also assumes that others SEE my firearm, which in formal wear is nearly impossible).

Just for argument sake though:

You're more likely to be a victim of a crime on your way to or from any location... duh

http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/data/table_07.html

Shooting at church, it happens

http://conservativeculture.com/2009/03/fatal-shooting-at-church-minister-killed-others-wounded/