No heat?

ninjascott

Ok you have great advice so here is your chance to help me out. I have a 99 dodge dakota with a 318 v8 (5.2l). I'veonly had the truck for a short time the other day it was cold in the morning so i turned on the heat to find cold air blowing in my face. so I checked the coolant level it was a little low it took about a uart of anti-freeze.it then had heat but not hot as it should be. The thermost seemstobe working. I notice alight smell of anti-freeze when driving. My initial thought would be to change the thermostat. my question is there are three temp available stock 192 180 or 160. which one will give me the most heat?

Yeah... 192 gives more heat, but a 180 will give you heat faster in the mornings.

I've tried them all, and I'll stick with a 180. At least when used on a V8.

When I tried a 160, the air coming out was noticeably not as hot, I didn't like it.

Using a different thermostat can sometimes confuse the vehicle's computer.

Ditto on the some sort of problem. I'd check the hoses under the hood, to see if they feel warm. Wait for the radiator supply hose to feel warm at the top of the radiator. (Do not stick body parts into the fan blade.) If the supply and return hoses to the heater core are warm, the problem is probably under the dash, a blower door or something. If only one hose is warm and the other cold, the heater core isn't flowing any fluids through it. Kinda rare, but it happens.

If you spilled even a small amount of anti-freeze, you would probably smell it. But if the smell was there before, you might want to find the leak before it gets worse. It seems that anti-freeze leaks seldom get better.

Edited by ReconRat

Generally just forcing water through the hoses will work fine. If the water won't go through, that's a problem with the hoses or heater core. Did you check to see if the heater core hoses get warm? If they don't, I'd try flushing through both hoses. If they do, I would still bet on a busted or stuck ventilation control door. One door flips back and forth between vent and heat (or air conditioning on some).