Department of Homeland Security Hiring 1000 CyberSecurity Personnel

Casper

I've been watching this for a looooooong time, since the AF first started talking about a Cyberwarfare command. The only thing holding me back is DC....it sucks.

I didn't think DC was bad at all. The only thing holding me back is Carie doesn't want to move. :lol: That and I only do database and website security stuff. I'm not too good with network security.

Gov pay in DC relative to cost of living SUCKS. BAD. As a GS-12 (what most of those cybersecurity positions will be at minimum) you'd only make 86k, compared to 70k here. 16k is definitely a difference but not enough to make up for the huge cost of living difference.

Also, you can count on many many contracts coming out of this so there will be many civilians jobs coming too. They will still require security clearances, of course, but in DC, that's a dime a dozen so in order to be competitive for these jobs, you'll need one.

Gov pay in DC relative to cost of living SUCKS. BAD. As a GS-12 (what most of those cybersecurity positions will be at minimum) you'd only make 86k, compared to 70k here. 16k is definitely a difference but not enough to make up for the huge cost of living difference.

Also, you can count on many many contracts coming out of this so there will be many civilians jobs coming too. They will still require security clearances, of course, but in DC, that's a dime a dozen so in order to be competitive for these jobs, you'll need one.

I was in DC for a week earlier this year. Food costs were about the same as here. Housing costs there are less right now. Condos that were going for nearly $500k three years ago are in the $150k - $200k range now. I think I could do DC, but not for $86k.

I was in DC for a week earlier this year. Food costs were about the same as here. Housing costs there are less right now. Condos that were going for nearly $500k three years ago are in the $150k - $200k range now. I think I could do DC, but not for $86k.

Yeah, me either. And I'd expect CoL to go back up.

I've been watching this for a looooooong time, since the AF first started talking about a Cyberwarfare command. The only thing holding me back is DC....it sucks.

It isn't just DC. Melbourne FL is very hot for this right now. Raytheon got a huge contract to check all the government software and systems for holes and exploits. And some other stuff he won't talk about. My kid turned down a job with them, it was big big money. Don't know what they are looking for but I know he is very hot right now, he still has his clearance from the Marines and is pretty famous in the white-hat community.

http://www.rayjobs.com/index.cfm?NavID=179

There's always jobs and contracts for cyber security out there, the big deal about this is that there will be an entire division dedicated to cyber security - in DC. Fort Meade, specifically.

There's a "Cyber Gladiator" position open with Raytheon in Melbourne!! :lol: sounds like some futuristic cage match... :D