popped my dirty cherry on sunday

jbot

after a day at beaverun on saturday, i took my new (used) dirt bike out for a spin at crow canyon on sunday.

it was the first time i've ridden a dirt bike (unless you count the 2 min jaunt in the backyard of my house), so i was very excited. I was told it would be a whole lotta moving around of the front and rear tires, and that i would be sore everywhere afterwards. effort was made to relay the severity of the conditions to me, but i definitely underestimated the true extent of the horrors i was getting into.

first off, on the street or track, i've rarely felt the back tire slide around. definitely less than a dozen times... and every time i was pretty skeered.

when i got on the dirt bike, whether riding through the trail or the mx track, EVERYTHING moved around. i was just overwhelmed by how much the front and rear flops around endlessly. it didn't help that there was mud everywhere, and the fact that i, once again, got too much bike for my own good (yz250f with more than just a bit of work done). this resulted in me falling about 5~6 times or more. I basically stopped counting at 5. 3 of those were tumblers (i was magically going fast enough for me to actually tumble upon hitting the ground).

luckily, i had mx pants with padding in a few places, and a good pair of mx boots, so my injuries were minimal. I had bruises here and there, and the bike is in even better condition than i am. actually, other than the mud plastered all over it, you can't tell i even rode the thing. thank you, bark busters and guards in appropriate places.

the hardest part of the day for me was getting the damn bike started after i inevitably stalled or dropped it. the bike actually starts very easily on 1 or 2 kicks... but you have to be in neutral. and for some reason, neutral was very hard to find, especially with those ridiculous boots. otherwise, the bike is a dream to ride, though i have nothing to compare that experience to, so who knows. i'm told by those who know better than me that the power is "amazing" for a 250.

i didn't attempt any jumps of any kind (I am sane and a pansy ass bitch), but i did tackle some easy hill climbs and descents, and managed to get home in 1 piece. there were a few moments there where i thought i was going to get into trouble, but the bike saved me whenever i just let it do the work. in short, dirt riding is awesome, painful, and much cheaper fun than the track. a totally different kind of fun, but fun nonetheless.

i originally wanted to get on the dirt bike to help my street/track riding, but this might turn into a completely different obsession all together... that is, if i can get this goddamn piece of shit fucking asshole bike kick started (well, that's what i sounded like in my helmet after I stalled the bike for the 8th time).

3989638670_f9f1559369.jpg

Edited by jbot

damn you , you little asian pansy ninja :D

first the title of this thread is awsome I couldnt click it fast enough when I read poped a dirty cherry totally not what I expected to read and for that I rep you

second wish youd have gone an a weekend I couldve met you up there youll need to bring it to briarcliff mx next because its an awsome track and right down the road from me I dont even load up to go there I just ride it over

and third get an e start bike next I hate kickstartin a hot 4 stroke I feel your pain damn kickstarts

second wish youd have gone an a weekend I couldve met you up there youll need to bring it to briarcliff mx next because its an awsome track and right down the road from me I dont even load up to go there I just ride it over

Briarcliff is in your backyard? I hate you.... Rode there for the first time last sunday. Craziness!

Well done Jbot. The yz250 is a hell of a starter but then again I got the 426 so I know how you must of felt. At least it doesn't sound like yours has a compression release, a whole other animal. Oh, and in time the boots break in and become much more comfortable. Rep to you! :)

Briarcliff is in your backyard? I hate you.... Rode there for the first time last sunday. Craziness!

and you didnt post up or call me you little bish, idve meet you there and spanked you with my quad

it takes me about 8 mins on the quad to get there gravel back roads so I just ride over instead of trailer

but i leave the trailer on the truck so someone can come get me when I wad it up on the triple that jump has bit me 3 times so far :(

Dude my two buddies with 250s drug me out there sunday last minute. We were drinking sat night and they were like, we are taking you to a motocross track tomorrow and you can switch off riding our bikes... lol. It was my first time on a motocross track, so I would hope youd be spanking me(in more ways than one)... I didnt even go out on the Main track. Just stayed on the smaller one. You HAVE to let me try the quad man. Looks fun... but its still cheating. Tooo many wheels! :D

correction, YZ250Fs do have a compression release. Ive never had to use it on the twofiddy I was riding sunday.
Were you and Jbot riding the same bike? I've seen 250's with and without compression release levers and some where they had replaced the release with an auto release switch. :confused:

Jbot- is that a 4 stroke? My buddy keeps his kx250 2 stroke at my house and I ride it back in the woods sometimes. That thing is like a light switch. Little power too holyshit hang on tight. I also hate kick starting. I some times get more tired from stalling and starting the damn thing. If the trails behind my house are dry it is fun but when it's wet it's not too fun on the dirt bike because it is pretty rutted from 4 wheelers. When it is wet taking my 4 wheeler back there is a blast. It is a frickin tank and it is also easier to drink beer and trail ride vs. a dirt bike:). Glad you are having fun.

:nono: Not good :wtf:

just to clarify it's more of a meander than actually riding. I like to just cruise through some trails and sometimes just sit out in the middle of no where drinking a couple beers and listening to nature. Sometimes i need a break from it all and its relaxing.

Were you and Jbot riding the same bike? I've seen 250's with and without compression release levers and some where they had replaced the release with an auto release switch. :confused:

Oh, um...all the YZ250Fs ive seen/riden have compression release levers :dunno:

J It is a frickin tank and it is also easier to drink beer and trail ride vs. a dirt bike:). Glad you are having fun.

Lies. Beer+dirtbike+trails= :D

Like Yoto said unless someone has moved/changed it a compression release is used to cycle the engine just past the compression peak to kick start the bike. So if you were simply kicking the bike to start, it doesn't have a compression release lever.

the yamahahaha manual says that after a certain year, automatic decompression was introduced (apparently, 05's have this feature where it decompresses during the kick or some crap) so the lever is the hot start. someone told me it was weird that i didn't have a hot start button next to the choke, but i guess this is why.

the yamahahaha manual says that after a certain year, automatic decompression was introduced (apparently, 05's have this feature where it decompresses during the kick or some crap) so the lever is the hot start. someone told me it was weird that i didn't have a hot start button next to the choke, but i guess this is why.

Auto decompression was added into the exhaust cam in 03 on the YZ250F and it is a poplar mod for the 01 & 02 models, I have retro-fitted 4 of them. The "hot start" lever just leans out the mixture when pulled.

When starting (hot or cold) make sure you are at TDC then you just have to give it a swift kick ALL the way down with authority. These bike are not like the 2-strokes where you can just "stab" the kick starter and they light up.

LOL ... yes 5-valves can be a pain to start at times,but once the fire is lit...hold on.

You jumped back in on a pretty fast dirt-chopper...so be carefull !

Drain the funk out of the bottom of the carb B/4 you ride if it's been sitting any length of time,they don't like old gas ....