popped my dirty cherry on sunday

jbot

Auto decompression was added into the exhaust cam in 03 on the YZ250F and it is a poplar mod for the 01 & 02 models, I have retro-fitted 4 of them. The "hot start" lever just leans out the mixture when pulled.

When starting (hot or cold) make sure you are at TDC then you just have to give it a swift kick ALL the way down with authority. These bike are not like the 2-strokes where you can just "stab" the kick starter and they light up.

yeah, i've come to realize that it's very easy to start... the key seems to be i have to be in neutral. If i can't find neutral, i have to get her in second, clutch in, then lean the bike up against something so i can stand on the kickstarter and just slam down on the lever with all my weight and that'll get her going in a kick or two.

the main problem with finding neutral is that the clutch seems to be dragging a bit... so if i'm in first, and i have the clutch lever squeezed, i can hear the engine lugging a bit at idle and there is just the faintest sensation of the bike wanting to pull forward. not sure what to do to fix that...

lol, i agree. i'm just too much of a bish to ride one. i was told i would die fo shizzle.

125s are a fucking blast, but you gotta keep them on the pipe and ride it. a 250 is actually easier to race/ride imho. nice bike btw, and your giving me the fever with all this dirt talk. if i can only conivince others to let me back out there. if i did get hurt bad id be fucked a little. always have my buddys barn :D

lol yes, a push button would be nice... but i think it's good for me to start with the "basics" (although, this bike is pretty well loaded with goodies, from what i'm told).

also, i found out very quickly that i'm a HUUUUUUUGE pansy ass bi0tch when it comes to hill climbs and descents. i thought i was going to cry cause i kept getting stuck in the middle of the uphill. also, i kept yelling "ohshitohshitohshitohshit" on the down hills.

i need to get this thing figured out. at this rate, i'll never be able to do a jump.

the main problem with finding neutral is that the clutch seems to be dragging a bit... so if i'm in first, and i have the clutch lever squeezed, i can hear the engine lugging a bit at idle and there is just the faintest sensation of the bike wanting to pull forward. not sure what to do to fix that...

id start by making sure the cable is adjusted properly. i had a dirtbike way back when that would always try to creep forward in first. i thought the clutch basket needed work but it turned out the cable wasnt adjusted correctly, and when i pulled in the lever it didnt totally engage the clutch. maybe 95%.