Top Posters In This Topic

ok so ive decided on the subs....im getting 2 boston acoustic

here's the summary on em

• 10" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils
  • copolymer woofer cone with foam surround
  • RadialVent cooling for increased power handling
  • SPS™ (Soft Part System) allows quick field repairs
  • compatible with Boston's GTR TunableRadiators™
  • power range: 100-450 watts RMS (225 per voice coil)
  • frequency response: 24-350 Hz
  • sensitivity: 92 dB
  • mounting depth: 6-11/16"
  • sealed box volume: 0.50 cu. ft.
  • ported box volume: 1.30 cu. ft.
  • warranty: 2 years

so now i need some suggestions on amps....i need one that has a remote bass controll knob because i dont plan on replacing my factory head unit....can you guys give me some good amps around 700-900 rms @ 2 ohms to look into at or under 300?

Edited by drumbtzz
added price range

im learnin as i go along...so i can take two 8 ohm subs down to 1 ohm? whats the improvement of that and wont that put more strain on the amp and my car battery?

2 single voice coil 8ohms speakers wired in parallel will yield you a 4ohm load.

Now 2 dual voice coil 8ohm subs wired to parallel will yield you a 2 ohm load.

There is no way to accieve a 1 ohm load with out 8 single voice coil subs or 4 dual voice coil subs (assuming their 8 ohm)

the lower the ohm load=lower resistance=more power

-----just read page 8 where you said you were using boston subs. Yes you could get a 1 ohm load with 2 dual voice coil 4 ohm subs.

Edited by rawlins87
just saw which subs your using

ive been lookin at the kicker 08ZX750.1 amp...i know its a little underpowered for these subs but im tryin to keep it around 300 for the amp....i really like the kenwood KAC-9104D amp but it doesnt have the bass controll knob which im pretty sure im going to need since im keeping my factory head unit...

your two options are 1 ohm or 4 ohm If you cant find a 1 ohm stable amp in your price range then wire them at 4

so your saying 2 ohms is out of the question? im still learning like i said so this whole division of ohms into however many channels has me lost still....people keep trying to explain it but i guess im just retarded cause it doesnt register....crutchfield was recommending that kenwood amp i mentioned above which will give me the right power at 2 ohms but it'll be way under at 1...or if i have this right your saying i would wire them each at 1 makin a 2 ohm load total on the amp....right?

Edited by drumbtzz

lol all 3 of those amps go against what the other guy was sayin...all those are rated 1,200-1,500 watts @ 1 ohm n he was sayin go with a 400-500 watt 1 ohm amp....this is why im still confused with all this shit

Their maximum rating does not dictate how much you use. you'll match your gain to the input signal, and the adjust the level down to match the rest of your speakers.

my time is money. for the amount of time to "learn" and hook up , id rather pay and have it come back on them if my 40000 truck or car catches fire

+1

im goin to pay someone to hook the shit up for both those exact reasons...i just want to know what exactly im spendin my money on n not walkin into some shop n believing the guy behind the counter that the first sub he shows me is the exact one that i want...

regardless, i spent enough time punishing google tonight and have a pretty decent grasp of how the watts to ohms work, which is really all i needed someone to tell me...why couldnt someone break it down for me??....finding specific things on the net today is like finding a irish guy with small nipples. ..

im going to be happy with those boston subs i mentioned, all i need now is to find a amp, and well, tomorrow is payday :D even though its not gonna hit what i wanted my budget to be im shoppin around for a known brand, fair priced, 900-1400 watt 1 ohm stable amp with a remote bass control knob...shouldnt be that hard to find but if anyone has any recommendations give a shout out