Private Investigator/Security Services

Likwid

Not sure if anyone would know the answer to this but I wanted to throw it out there. Does a Class B or C security services license grant ADDITIONAL permissions in terms of weapons? ie, batons, asps, blackjacks, and LOCATIONS of carrying?

Went to a wedding this weekend and one of the girls I was chatting with has a criminal justice degree and a "certified agent" license in PA. She explained some of the things that license allows and it got me wondering what the Ohio licenses allow.

^ if you can provide some standardized terms, I can try to search.

The Ohio Revised Code, Chapter 2923 (dealing with weapons) doesn't include the term "security services license" anywhere.

I'm not familiar enough with the industry to know what else to look for, and "security" brings up a lot of hits... Not as many as it did before I narrowed the search to the 'weapons control' sub-chapter, but still a lot...

**edit - i'm finding some stuff in Chapter 4749. It deals with private investigator as a profession.

Edited by redkow97

(E) "Class A license" means a license issued under section 4749.03 of the Revised Code that qualifies the person issued the license to engage in the business of private investigation and the business of security services.

(F) "Class B license" means a license issued under section 4749.03 of the Revised Code that qualifies the person issued the license to engage only in the business of private investigation.

(G) "Class C license" means a license issued under section 4749.03 of the Revised Code that qualifies the person issued the license to engage only in the business of security services.

"An applicant who intends to carry a firearm as defined in section 2923.11 of the Revised Code in the course of business or employment shall so notify the superintendent. This notification is in addition to any other requirement related to carrying a firearm that applies to the applicant. "

that sounds like "no" with firearms. the statute is silent on other types of weapons... back ot chapter 2923...

2923.12, section D, article 1:

"(D) It is an affirmative defense to a charge under division (A)(1) of this section of carrying or having control of a weapon other than a handgun and other than a dangerous ordnance that the actor was not otherwise prohibited by law from having the weapon and that any of the following applies:

(1) The weapon was carried or kept ready at hand by the actor for defensive purposes while the actor was engaged in or was going to or from the actor's lawful business or occupation, which business or occupation was of a character or was necessarily carried on in a manner or at a time or place as to render the actor particularly susceptible to criminal attack, such as would justify a prudent person in going armed."

...now it's sounding like the certification has little to do with the right to carry the weapon, but stands as grounds to prove it was 'necessary for defense in the course of occupational duties.'

Edited by redkow97

Thanks for the replies, I should have posted the section as you mentioned, it's 4749.01 and .03.

It's interesting for sure, to be clear I have no personal intentions, just curious how this stuff works and what the different licenses do for personal rights.