Anybody gotten/tried out Windows 7 yet?

Fonzie

I have Windows 7 Ultimate and I think it works great!

no problems like Vista's early days and solid like XP

the moving thing they're talking about is how when you install the OS instead of deleting all ur information and reformating your HD, like it normally is for a new OS, Windows 7 puts everything into a folder called Windows.Old and from there you can just copy all ur stuff back into its proper place...like ur My Documents, My Music and such, and anything else you created, you can even copy your program preferences.

I had firefox with tons of extensions and add-ons and so on and so forth, so what i did was get 7, download and install the latest firefox, then just copy over the folders for it and when i started it up, lo and behold, everything is back!

also i hate the stupid mac commercial where they make fun of PC saying "it doesn't have any of the problems [previous OS] had, i promise!" because that's straight up retarded, and basically says we're mac and we're so fucking awesome we created a OS and have never had any problems with it, doo dee doo dee doo.

which obviously is complete bullshit

I've been using 7 since the RC came out. Upgraded work machine from Vista Bus., works fine. Upgraded triple boot lapper (Win 7, Crunchbang (#!) Linux, and Hackintosh) from Vista Ult., works fine.

IF your computer is working now as you want it to - no major problems - I say leave it alone. The bennies aren't there, IMHO.

"If it ain't broke, don't break it..."

Edited by jblosser
"I say", not "I see"...

I have the Windows 7 beta testing on my tower and it's worked fine the last few months I played with it. I still dual boot with XP because of video editing software that doesn't work for Vista/7. Otherwise I'd upgrade my other office machine to Windows 7. I just say avoid Vista like the plague. I think Microsoft has this thing for crapping up every other OS they release.

Been using it on a PC since the CTP was available. It's worked well for me. I've never really had any issues with Vista either, other than a couple of the betas ran really slowly, and even the shipping version never got back the performance that some of the earlier betas had. Windows 7 has been very consistant and stable for me. Unfortunately, that's not my primary machine, so I don't get to use it extensively, since the software we use hasn't been fully tested and verified with Windows 7.

Just curious. I'm about to get a new laptop, which I'm sure will probably come loaded with it

Stupidest thing I've ever heard..... Went in to Best Buy 7-10 days ago to check out inventory/deals. Their shelves were completely empty save for $1,000 Sony sittin' there by it's lonesome.

Saleskid asks if I've got any questions. I comment they don't have any inventory for me to ask questions about. He chuckles & says it's because 7 is coming out next week..... So they let their old inventory run out :wtf:

It's not like we're talking hardware upgrades here, that would require computers to be cracked open. It's just a software disk that needs uploaded??? Him & the Geek Squad kid just kinda shook their heads at me & one of them cocked off about it'd cost $160 for them to upgrade an old machine to the new software after it came out :wtf:REEEAALLLY?!? To load a friggin' CD that Microsoft has been sayin' will be free to anyone who purchases a new computer after June 22?!? :wtf:

I just gave them both a big, incredulous smile & walked the fuck out :nono:

Edited by Fonzie

@Fonzie:

Your Best Buy experience reminds me of the time 5 or so years ago at MicroCenter:

I was in the networking section. Guy is asking the MicroCenter serf what the difference is between a switch and a hub - he wanted to do some home networking and both appeared to do what he wanted. MicroCenter serf looks at the two different items for a minute, can't figure it out, finally comes up with "Well, the switch costs more than the hub".

Well, yes it does.... Reminds of going to Radio Shack: "You've got questions, we've got blank stares."