Flu vaccine side effect (WOW)

jbctown

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, avoid the smallpox vaccine too!!!!!!

Mild to Moderate Problems

• Mild rash, lasting 2-4 days.
  • Swelling and tenderness of lymph nodes, lasting 2-4 weeks after the blister has healed.
  • Fever of over 100 degrees fahrenheit (about 70% of children, 17% of adults) or over 102 degrees Fahrenheit (about 15%-20% of children, under 2% of adults).
  • Secondary blister elsewhere on the body (about 1 per 1,900).

Moderate to Severe Problems

• Serious eye infection, or loss of vision, due to spread of vaccine virus to the eye.
  • Rash on entire body (as many as 1 per 4,000).
  • Severe rash on people with eczema (as many as 1 per 26,000).
  • Encephalitis (severe brain reaction), which can lead to permanent brain damage (as many as 1 per 83,000).
  • Severe infection beginning at the vaccination site (as many as 1 per 667,000, mostly in people with weakened immune systems).
  • Death (1-2 per million, mostly in people with weakened immune systems).

Is this a real story? If so thats prolly one of the sadest things Ive ever seen. Thats fucking horrible. :nono: I guess she just needs to run everywhere! :dunno:

Wow...I felt awful for her, and was choked up... Then I saw Yota's comment and LOL'd... U dick :bigfinger: Now I feel like an ass

You guys need to put the tin foil hats back on. Ok yes, it's tragic, but that's modern medicine.

Would you prefer they seek a 0% side effect vaccine but millions more need to die (and they may never create the perfect vaccine) or have 1 person die and the entire population is vaccinated.

Don't take tylenol, 1 in 10 million dies. don't take aspirin, 1 in 5 million develop cancer, don't breath, 1 in 500 people gets cancer. Don't ride a motorcycle, 1 in 200 people die. (made all these numbers up)

Tragic? Yes. Reason to be afraid? No.

You guys need to put the tin foil hats back on. Ok yes, it's tragic, but that's modern medicine.

Would you prefer they seek a 0% side effect vaccine but millions more need to die (and they may never create the perfect vaccine) or have 1 person die and the entire population is vaccinated.

Don't take tylenol, 1 in 10 million dies. don't take aspirin, 1 in 5 million develop cancer, don't breath, 1 in 500 people gets cancer. Don't ride a motorcycle, 1 in 200 people die. (made all these numbers up)

Tragic? Yes. Reason to be afraid? No.

So it is a good idea to make a small percentage of the population carriers of a potentially deadly virus? Maybe if it were a mandatory vaccination like the MMR vaccine, but otherwise NO

So it is a good idea to make a small percentage of the population carriers of a potentially deadly virus? Maybe if it were a mandatory vaccination like the MMR vaccine, but otherwise NO

I never said CARRIER I said you gotta crack a few eggs to make an omellette. If we could cure cancer tomorrow, but 50% of the people that get the treatment may die, I say it's worth it to continue with the treatment.

If I get cancer I'd have the personal choice, 50% chance of survival vs X% I MAY go into remission? It's a personal choice.

Mandatory vs optional, if it means SOMEONE has to die so the rest can live, you have to take the majority, it sucks I know, and if it was me who was dying or got the side effects I'm sure I'd bitch. But if it meant my family didn't because I was the 1% then it's worth it.

I never said CARRIER I said you gotta crack a few eggs to make an omellette. If we could cure cancer tomorrow, but 50% of the people that get the treatment may die, I say it's worth it to continue with the treatment.

If I get cancer I'd have the personal choice, 50% chance of survival vs X% I MAY go into remission? It's a personal choice.

Mandatory vs optional, if it means SOMEONE has to die so the rest can live, you have to take the majority, it sucks I know, and if it was me who was dying or got the side effects I'm sure I'd bitch. But if it meant my family didn't because I was the 1% then it's worth it.

You can't really generalize the flu shot to compare it to cancer or even the MMR vaccine. My point was that it is different. Not everyone gets the flu shot, but those that do are carriers of the flu. On top of spreading the virus they have a very small chance of getting side affects or the virus themselves. I'm not seeing the benefit.

You can't really generalize the flu shot to compare it to cancer or even the MMR vaccine. My point was that it is different. Not everyone gets the flu shot, but those that do are carriers of the flu. On top of spreading the virus they have a very small chance of getting side affects or the virus themselves. I'm not seeing the benefit.

It was an unfair comparison you are right, but I'm an asshole :-D

People that get the flu vaccine and people that don't get the flu are the same in terms of risk of spreading it. This isn't like outbreak, where a monkey gets it and exhibits no signs and can kill the entire population.

Let's not forget, the flu kills between 250,000 and 500,000 worldwide per year. [CDC]

People that get the flu vaccine and people that don't get the flu are the same in terms of risk of spreading it. This isn't like outbreak, where a monkey gets it and exhibits no signs and can kill the entire population.

How do you figure? Yes everyone has the same potential to spread the virus, but people that have received the shot already have the virus to spread.

i'll admit to having a skewed view of this subject since covering 'standards of care' in class.

there are only a few scenarios for this poor girl:

1) she was warned this was a possible side-effect, and chose to be vaccinated anyway.

2) she wasn't warned this was a possible side-effect, and will try to convince a court that she wouldn't have gotten the shot if she had been warned. (a jury will not believe this, given that it's 1 in a million odds, but they may feel sorry for her, give her money, and the Pharm co will win on appeal, or the judge will remand the case for a new trial due to the jury not following instructions)

or 3) the drug company had no idea this was a possible side-effect, and scenario 2 will likely still apply.

If she's "lucky," more people will be affected (i doubt she wants that), and the odds could rise to the point that the drug company could be held liable, but then which drug company? I'm sure there are many companies that produce flu vaccines. Which one made hers? does she know? does the doctor know? who does she sue?

now you're talking about multiple negligent parties (anyone who sold that vaccine), none of whom can prove they're not liable, but none of whom can be proved to have a 51% chance of guilt either (unless there is a pharm company that does supply over 51% of flu vaccines - and yes, 51% is the burden of proof in a civil case).

Hopefully the pharm company feels bad and attempts to help this girl find treatment, or at least help her out with quality of life issues - but that would be a 100% PR move. I doubt she can argue any legal obligation. Bad luck is bad luck. I think Frank Costanza said it best: "it was a million to one shot, Doc! million to one!"

How do you figure? Yes everyone has the same potential to spread the virus, but people that have received the shot already have the virus to spread.

People that HAVEN'T received the shot are not a risk until they are exposed to it. If someone un vaccinated is exposed then they have the same likelihood to be resistant to the virus as they would be if they got the vaccine (probably less so because the vaccine is a weaker strain).

I was going to say, she's pretty hot, those spasms might just add to the awesomeness, I mean think about it :-D

Anyway, you notice how her boyfriend/husband is still with her, if she was butt ugly and had that happen he'd be GONE!

And this wouldn't be a media story.