Digital camera HELP..........

jbctown

I have a Canon Rebel DSLR and have also used my ex girlfriends Nikon D40 many times. As far as user controls I like the Canon a lot more. I think its much easier to navigate the settings while shooting.

As far as the need for one, that's for you to decide. I started with a "hybird" or ZLR meaning zoom lens reflex. With a ZLR you have the full ability to customize your shots as far as aperature, shutter speed, etc. ZLR cameras have come a long way as far as zooming capabilities and photo quality. Also with a ZLR you don't have to get into the investment of lenses which get very pricey. The downfall however, is that if you do end up learning enough to use the camera to its full potential, you have already spent money on a ZLR and you'll be ready for an SLR.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll also fine the controls change as you move through a line of cameras even in the same brand. There will be a good number things that remain consistent, but the you'll find often the feel and controls improve the better camera you buy.

This may be true but I have never handled a 1d or a d3 :rolleyes:

yeah, the controls are a big thing! i personally am not a huge fan of most of the brands controls, but it happens. find what works best for you.

Ya know, in that case it's more of what you've gotten used to! I think this is a big part of brand layalty for many people.

I use Canon, started with entry level film SLR, went to the Digital Rebel (entry level) and going to the 40D was very similar in how the menus work, but the layout is different, and is close to the pro line of cameras (1D series.) I like it, just took a little (not much, really) time to get used to everything again.

Personally, I think if one is planning on being moderately serious about photography, and getting out of the automatic modes, they should start with the XXD series in Canon, or the equivalent for Nikon. I think the current model would be the 50D. That's my personal opinion though... Take it for what it's worth.... (ZERO :lol:)

Ya know, in that case it's more of what you've gotten used to! I think this is a big part of brand layalty for many people.

I use Canon, started with entry level film SLR, went to the Digital Rebel (entry level) and going to the 40D was very similar in how the menus work, but the layout is different, and is close to the pro line of cameras (1D series.) I like it, just took a little (not much, really) time to get used to everything again.

very nice! i have a 50D and absolutely love how she's setup! i have played with my sisters xsi and not far off from what my 50D. i love the wheel setup on the xxD's and the menus are so easy to use.

You don't need to shoot with a pro cam to tell the difference. Shoot enough with your sisters Xsi and your 50D and the differences will become apparent enough. Having access to the right controls when you need can make or break your day. I could never go back to something less than an xxD.