Took the reloader plunge

Rod38um

I've been wanting to reload pistol and rifle for years now and I figured this winter would be a good time to get started. I bought a Hornady Lock n Load AP press and a crap load of other little things you need to get started. So I'm gonna start off with loading 45 ACP and branch out from there. I already had a lot of brass and Hornady gives you 1000 free bullets when you buy their press and 100 free when you buy their dies. If I figure the cost difference between buying 1100 factory rounds and loading my own, the press and all the other stuff I bought pays for its self in the first 1100 rounds.

Here's a pic of my man cave set up, its in my little garage cause I have heat in that one.... lol

Reloader2.jpg

Reloader1.jpg

looks like you have a great set up there to get started! i recently took the plunge myself! my man cave isnt as organized as yours or id take pics! haha. i am mainly reloading .338 and .223 now. i recently picked up thousands of primers for small rifle, large rifle, and large rifle mag, at the medina gun show, just in case i couldnt find any for awhile haha. good luck!!! let me know how u like it, i love it so far, great stress relief! and there is something rewarding with killing something with the bullet you put together. :plus1:

Looks like a nice setup.. Just take your time. I also suggest using your micrometer to mic every 3-4 rounds to make sure your dies arent moving. Its fairly common occurance with progressives until you learn to pull the handle all the way every time.

My inventory has me at

around 4000 small rifle primers

1200 large rifle match primers.

about 800 rounds of match 308 bullets

200 rounds of 180gr roundnose 308 for loading subsonics

about 1500 .223 bullets

and probably around 10lbs of powder.

I think Im good to go for awhile. :)

Good luck and welcome to the madness. The part I had the most is trimming and camfering the cases. It takes forever. I actually neck sized, trimmed, and camfered about 50 rounds of 308 last night.

OfcMav - If youre ever going to be in columbus, hit me up and we can go and shoot. Bring that .338 of yours and I will bring my 308 with my new toy Im picking up this week. ;)

Right now I'm just doing 45 ACP. I'm going pretty slow but can put out 50 rounds in about 15 minutes (with everything set) The handle on this press sort of breaks over at the bottom so that once you get past a certain point, it wants to hit the stops. That makes it pretty consistant. I liked the dies being set in bushings, you dont have to reset each time you change up. I plan on doing some 7mm Rem Mag this winter. I have about 100 cases for it already.

I'd like to buy a .223. I always wanted one, this may give me an excuse to buy one and load up some custom rounds.

I havent had any problem finding primers or or powder but bullets and brass are pretty scarce.

OfcMav - If youre ever going to be in columbus, hit me up and we can go and shoot. Bring that .338 of yours and I will bring my 308 with my new toy Im picking up this week. ;)

im game really anytime, im only 50 minutes from columbus and frequently go down there. i put 32 rounds through it yesterday to adjust my glass and it was bitter sweet painful yet blissful haha. im game to shoot anytime!

Right now I'm just doing 45 ACP. I'm going pretty slow but can put out 50 rounds in about 15 minutes (with everything set) The handle on this press sort of breaks over at the bottom so that once you get past a certain point, it wants to hit the stops. That makes it pretty consistant. I liked the dies being set in bushings, you dont have to reset each time you change up. I plan on doing some 7mm Rem Mag this winter. I have about 100 cases for it already.

I'd like to buy a .223. I always wanted one, this may give me an excuse to buy one and load up some custom rounds.

I havent had any problem finding primers or or powder but bullets and brass are pretty scarce.

Word to the wise. If your going for accuracy on rifle loads do not use the auto powder dispenser. I use the auto dispenser for 223 since its just my AR but on my 308, I hand measure everyone charge to the .15

Word to the wise. If your going for accuracy on rifle loads do not use the auto powder dispenser. I use the auto dispenser for 223 since its just my AR but on my 308, I hand measure everyone charge to the .15

I've heard this and I know lots of guys also have single stage just for rifle rounds And I may pick one up as well. However reading some forums it sounds like many guys are impressed enough with the new powder dispenser that Hornady has to go ahead and load rifle with it. I have to say I have checked many loads on the scale and they come out exact every time. As my experience is limited I'll most likely default to tried and true methods. Besides, it gives me an excuse to buy more stuff.....:D

You dont need another press. just make sure the loads are the same weight. Also, like I said before, make sure you measure the OAL of your precision loads every 2 loads or so as the progressives will slightly adjust. Its weird but it happens.. I will actually be loading up about 50 rounds of .308 sub sonic today to use through the new can on Sunday.

I went to the range today with 2 different45 ACP loads. I just wanted to see the difference in the 2 as far as recoil, good slide operation and see if I could notice any difference in accuracy.

My heavier load was 5.6 of bullseye with a 185 grain HP/XTP. It was pretty close to the same feel as as a factory load with a 230 grain bullet. My other load was more of a target load. The same bullet but just 4.5 grains of bullseye. I really liked this load. Very reduced recoil, accurate and easier on my flinch control.... lol

I stopped on the way home and bought some more bullets and 700 once fired brass. They're in the tumbler now, I'll be loading a decent supply of that load shortly :-)